The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight Razor Stropping Tutorial

Great video Josh! Easy to follow and understand.

Only thing I would add is "X" strokes if your strop is narrower than your razor.

Good tutorial with lots of good info. As Craig suggested, the “x” stroke is something most guys eventually need to know and understand. I made my strop 3” precisely so I wouldn’t need to do the x stroke. Many guys will suggest you use an x stroke even when the strop is as wide as the blade, different reasons are given and all make sense to me ...still, I don’t x stroke unless the strop is less than 3” wide.

I too tend to use a pretty taught strop but there are those who will allow a little more flex. I think a tighter strop is more forgiving of minor errors in pressure and technique. I find it helpful to focus on the spine, intentionally applying forward pressure to the spine so none is applied to the blade edge. By keeping my focus on the spine I avoid getting too heavy handed on the edge.

Good job!

Excellent tutorial Josh! Quick question...do you strop on linen/canvas/etc before leather? Do you have to strop on linen? Are there times you only strop on leather? Inquiring minds want to know!
1f601.png

Thanks guys! This was more to address the basic motion of stropping the straight, concentrating on things that people might do to roll an edge, and techniques that can avoid that. I might amend the video at some point, or do a separate, more advanced video covering some of those things you brought up, as well as going a little more in depth as far as strop size, different materials (cordovan leather, kangaroo, latigo leather, nylon, Irish Linen, cotton, etc...), conditioning your strop, storage, and the purposes behind stropping on linen and leather.

Thanks guys! This was more to address the basic motion of stropping the straight, concentrating on things that people might do to roll an edge, and techniques that can avoid that. I might amend the video at some point, or do a separate, more advanced video covering some of those things you brought up, as well as going a little more in depth as far as strop size, different materials (cordovan leather, kangaroo, latigo leather, nylon, Irish Linen, cotton, etc...), conditioning your strop, storage, and the purposes behind stropping on linen and leather.

Looking forward to it!

Great tutorial Josh. I got a 3" strop right out of the gate so I did not have to worry about cutting the strop figuring out the x stroke. Little did I know there were 100 ways to cut a 3" strop just going back and forth. Live and learn, and learn to repair a nicked strop!

Back