The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirling Reaction

I tried the Executive Man AS today for the first time & had an instant reaction to it. I had to rinse it off to get rid of the burning sensation. That's the second Stirling product I've had a reaction to, the first was The Lounge shave soap.

Anyone else have certain products they can't use?

Oh no! That stinks!

I don’t think there’s anything I’ve had a reaction to yet, at least not that I’m aware of.

Oh no! That stinks!

I don’t think there’s anything I’ve had a reaction to yet, at least not that I’m aware of.
Yeah but being only 17 years old you have a long time to develop reactions to things as you age
1f602.png

Nothing so far for me—although I’ve heard of some folks having trouble with Stirling soaps because they all contain almond oil. Not sure if that applies to AS. Something to consider.

It's not all Stirling products. I've used the Port Au Prince soap numerous times with no reaction. I've had Sharp Dressed Man AS for months & have never had a reaction. So that makes it fun to decide whether I spend money on MITA, Baker Street, or Barbershop soaps & run the risk of it burning my face.

The only product I have had a reaction to its Nivea's sensitive line. Both the face wash and balm.

It's not all Stirling products. I've used the Port Au Prince soap numerous times with no reaction. I've had Sharp Dressed Man AS for months & have never had a reaction. So that makes it fun to decide whether I spend money on MITA, Baker Street, or Barbershop soaps & run the risk of it burning my face.

Might be worth comparing the two scent lists, to see if there is some commonality between Executive Man and The Lounge. If you were able to use other AS's from them without any issue, then it's not the base and is 99% coming from the fragrance oils.

If you're wary of having reactions to other AS's, you can always buy samples prior to. Stirling sells a 5-pack of samples that should give you an idea if its something you can use or not.

For me, most "vegan" soaps. Something in the non-tallow formulas that just won't let them perform for me. They dry on me horribly, offer no protection, and often leave my face quite irritated. I think the irritation is more from lack of protection than reaction, but still not pleasant.

I did have an artisan soap that I reacted to one time, but I saw them pop up in the other neighborhood then they seemed to fade out shortly after. I can't even remember the name now. Terrible soap all the way around. I could have gotten a better lather from borax and even being a scent I've never had trouble with, it left me with a significant burning feel.

There was a Through the fire and flames or whatever it was called that gave me a pretty bad reaction too. Both the soap and the AS.

I think there were one or two others I could feel a mild burning from, but not enough stuck out to me to remember them.

So sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to the soap ?
reading all the replies made me realize once again how important it is to always make sure we as soapers follow IFRA rules.
Most people react to fragrance, essential oils and preservatives
some of my customers have asked if I could add more fragrance and I always tell them because I care about their skin I can’t. I use the max allowed and not a drop more. I care too much about my customers.
Just think about it ... some essential oils could cause your skin to get burned. ?
I hope there’s away for you to figure out which fragrance/EO cause the reaction.
Take care
Patricia ?

Anyone else have certain products they can't use?

I've had a couple of reactions in the past few months, which were mild for the most part and no lingering effects. But NYC from A&E didn't like my skin, nor did Oleo's Sandy Cheeks and Melonade. I also had a reaction to a TTFFC soap, the Sue Moore tribute soap from 2016, but I think that was more due to the soap not having been cured 100% before it was sent out. The 2nd and 3rd time using it I didn't have any issues.

I've had a couple of reactions in the past few months, which were mild for the most part and no lingering effects. But NYC from A&E didn't like my skin, nor did Oleo's Sandy Cheeks and Melonade. I also had a reaction to a TTFFC soap, the Sue Moore tribute soap from 2016, but I think that was more due to the soap not having been cured 100% before it was sent out. The 2nd and 3rd time using it I didn't have any issues.

That is interesting...I always assumed that it was the rose in that soap that lit me up. I have had some reactions to other soaps that had rose in it...but I am wondering now. I really like some of the rose scented soaps...but man...

I might have to revisit this and see if it is actually rose.

I mentioned in another thread I was listening to a book about the fragrance industry. One point one of the designers made was it's interesting how people think "natural" fragrance is better for you. But, where a synthetic rose scent to add to a product might have 3-4 different molecules, natural rose could have 50. So there's actually a MUCH lower risk to reacting to a synthetic scent than a natural one.

Not that it has anything to do with this conversation in particular. I just thought it was interesting.

But, where a synthetic rose scent to add to a product might have 3-4 different molecules, natural rose could have 50. So there's actually a MUCH lower risk to reacting to a synthetic scent than a natural one.

That is pretty interesting info! I never would have guessed a synthetic substance would have a more simplified structure than a natural one. Perhaps because of the processes required to obtain a natural scent?

Back