The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stargazing and Night Sky Watching

My dad bought a Questar when Halley's Comet last visited, and we used it for a couple of years, but he sold it and bought a couple of assault rifles. I preferred the telescope. My only other real stargazing experience that sticks with me was a night in the mountains of West Virginia, when it was so dark and clear that you could see satellites. Twenty years from now, satellites will likely be a major feature of the night sky.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Twenty years from now, satellites will likely be a major feature of the night sky
I’m kinda OK with that. I think spotting satellites is fun. I usually only find a couple during a stargazing session, which surprises me that I don’t see more.

There are satellite tracker apps that will tell you when they are going to be overhead. There’s also one that specifically tracks the ISS, and gives you alerts when it’ll be in view.

Wow....I haven't seen a satellite since I was a kid. I guess living in the suburbs of two of the biggest light pollution centers hasn't been advantageous for my star gazing.

I’m kinda OK with that. I think spotting satellites is fun. I usually only find a couple during a stargazing session, which surprises me that I don’t see more.

There are satellite tracker apps that will tell you when they are going to be overhead. There’s also one that specifically tracks the ISS, and gives you alerts when it’ll be in view.
My ex-wife and I used to use that ISS app to catch the ISS over Baltimore. It was easy to spot, because the city lights washed out just about all the stars. It's mesmerizing viewing, and I recommend doing it to everyone. I'm right there with you on not minding the prospect of all those satellites. My astronomer friends aren't quite as enthusiastic, but they're just going to have to adapt!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back