The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sous vide?

Nice, I haven't tried pork chops sous vide yet. Out of curiosity, what was the temp/time/approx. thickness of the chops?
I did 140 for 3hrs. I don't trust the app which said for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. They were about 1 - 1 1/2" thick. Next time I'll do it 138. I haven't seen anything about letting meat rest after sous vide? Do you do that after you sear?

I did 140 for 3hrs. I don't trust the app which said for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. They were about 1 - 1 1/2" thick. Next time I'll do it 138. I haven't seen anything about letting meat rest after sous vide? Do you do that after you sear?
I thought you didn't need to let the meat rest after the sear since the juices should be pretty well distributed after the slow SV cook. I was just looking at an article that said that a short rest between SV and sear might prevent over-cooking caused by the sear.

I thought you didn't need to let the meat rest after the sear since the juices should be pretty well distributed after the slow SV cook. I was just looking at an article that said that a short rest between SV and sear might prevent over-cooking caused by the sear.
I was thinking that as well, but didn't have anything to support it. So just curious.

From what I've read, there is no need to rest meat after sous vide--even after the sear. I usually do anyway, more out of habit than anything else.

Do you have an instant read thermometer? I've been temping my meats out of the bath for the sake of curiosity and all have been spot on (a couple of degrees below the water temp). I say this as it might make you more comfortable with the temp/timing recommendations. I think judging by color alone on meats cooked sous vide can be misleading in some cases.

From what I've read, there is no need to rest meat after sous vide--even after the sear. I usually do anyway, more out of habit than anything else.

Do you have an instant read thermometer? I've been temping my meats out of the bath for the sake of curiosity and all have been spot on (a couple of degrees below the water temp). I say this as it might make you more comfortable with the temp/timing recommendations. I think judging by color alone on meats cooked sous vide can be misleading in some cases.
So far I'm just going by those crazy guys on YouTube who seem to cook everything for 3hrs and it seems to work out and the first steak I did according to the app which came out super RAW instead of medium. So I just figured I'd err on the side of adding an hour or more.

BTW I cooked the chops with raw white onion slices on one side and lemon and garlic on the other. Plus the usual olive oil, salt and pepper. The onion flavor REALLY gets into the meat. I would totally recommend.

Back