The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Slippers recommendations

global_dev

Shave Enthusiast
Just saw bomba sells a $40 slipper sock, a bit pricey but maybe worth it, not sure i’ll ever know.

looking for in home slippers recs. Can’t wait to see what you all think are good to go home slippers. 😂

I buy the $10 or less, moccasins from Walmart. Work for me, last for years.

I secong KJ's response. I got a nice pair for Christmas 2019 and they didn't even stand up to use for 3 months. Thought about sewing buffalo hide onto the bottoms, but Walmart had a pair for $10. 3 months now and going strong. I hope they last a year at least.

got a nice pair for Christmas 2019 and they didn't even stand up to use for 3 months. Thought about sewing buffalo hide onto the bottoms,

i read some poor reviews of leather soled mocs that didn’t last as long as expected. Are they meant to be resoled?

I got these as a gift 5-6 years ago. Pricey, but they’ve held up really well. I replaced the insole for the first time this year and they’re like brand new slippers.
Ascot Slipper

I got these as a gift 5-6 years ago. Pricey, but they’ve held up really well. I replaced the insole for the first time this year and they’re like brand new slippers.
Ascot Slipper
My wife bought me a pair of these for Christmas this year. They were a little uncomfortable for a day or 2, but once broken in they’re the most comfortable things I’ve worn. I’ve only had them for a few months, but my wife has a pair that is still going strong after almost 3 years. She wears them about 90% of the time that she isn’t at work, so they have some miles on them.

I bought those recently. I absolutely love them. Super comfy, no need for socks, and your feet don't get too hot. They are awesome!

I also like the brand Hey Dude but I wear those as regular shoes. But I think they have some that are close to slippers.

I have a pair of Clark’s suede slippers like the ones in the picture that I picked up about 6 years ago at an after Christmas sale while returning gifts that didn’t work for me. They were half price that day so I think they were in the $15 range (I would gladly pay full retail price for a replacement someday if needed). They have held up very well and are a solid morning slipper for me.
55DF1969-28E1-49C3-B53B-F150975756EC.jpeg

These are my absolute favorite! So comfy!

The ones I suggested from LL Bean are on the pricey side of things. But they felt broken in and super comfy from day one. They lasted me about three years. The soles were not the issue...I just split them on the side. And let me say that I am really rough on all my footwear. being a big guy (6'3" and 270) I go through footwear quickly. Not to mention, I would constantly wear these outside to get the mail , take out the trash, grab stuff from the vehicle, and a bunch of other stuff I should not have worn them for. I have had much cheaper slippers before, and while functional and even comfortable...none of them compared to these.

My wife bought me these this year to replace the above ones...and I will say they are nice and comfy. But these took a few days to break in and they are just not as comfortable (though they are plenty comfy) as the above.

Men's Handsewn Slippers, Flannel-Lined (llbean.com)

I've been wearing fur-lined Crocs for years. They last forever and they have great arch support. That's what I wear 90% of the time since working mostly from home.

i read some poor reviews of leather soled mocs that didn’t last as long as expected. Are they meant to be resoled?
MIne had plastic soles that looked pretty durable, but cracked in 2 months then the sides ripped out. I only wore them inside on carpet too so it's not like I was hiking the north 40. For indoor slippers, something thick like buffalo hide would wear a long time. The Indians would in fact use raw hides of different kinds and they held up about 6 months of heavy mountain travel (those guys had to walk everywhere they went!)

The ones I suggested from LL Bean are on the pricey side of things. But they felt broken in and super comfy from day one. They lasted me about three years. The soles were not the issue...I just split them on the side. And let me say that I am really rough on all my footwear. being a big guy (6'3" and 270) I go through footwear quickly. Not to mention, I would constantly wear these outside to get the mail , take out the trash, grab stuff from the vehicle, and a bunch of other stuff I should not have worn them for. I have had much cheaper slippers before, and while functional and even comfortable...none of them compared to these.

My wife bought me these this year to replace the above ones...and I will say they are nice and comfy. But these took a few days to break in and they are just not as comfortable (though they are plenty comfy) as the above.

Men's Handsewn Slippers, Flannel-Lined (llbean.com)
Those are very like the Minnetonka moccasins I favor. The prices went up a bit more than I am willing to pay so I’m with KJ now.

For my birthday last year, I asked for new slippers to replace a beat to death, 7 year old pair of LL Bean slip ons. I was given a pair of Deer Stags Slipperoos and have been very happy with them. A nice compromise between a backless slip on and a moc for me. I’ve been wearing them for 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week and they’re very comfortable and holding up nicely.

so i went on a slipper try-on binge this week, my wife brought home ALL THE SLIPPERZ. I tried on 10 pairs of slippers, 3 different styles , 3 different sizes. 4 different companies. Holy moly, none of them fit.. i wont tell you the research we went through trying to understand why my feet don't fit in these slippers, i thought it would be much easier than dress shoes and athletic shoes, it was worse.. there aren't enough off the rack. choice in this area as outside shoes in a normal price.

finally she went for one last attempt, and while it sorta fits, it's not what i envisioned slippers should be like (btw, i have never worn slippers at length because they never fit before). It's a fireside by dearfoam shearling clog.. a bit tighter than i expected, but hoping that the shearling compacts a bit to make them fit better imho.

1614451634081.jpeg

i think at my age, 45 in april, i've discovered not just that i am different, but just how different I am.. i had no idea that not only do I have a decently wide foot, which i had never really measured before last week, i have morton's toe/greek feet.

for those not in the know "Morton's toe, considered by many ancient artists and cultures a high mark of beauty, dominance, and intelligence. Also known as 'Fire Foot' or 'Greek Foot', the standout feature is a longer second toe than the rest of the toes - and this foot shape aparently denotes someone who is active, sporty and creative, and is enthusiastic about new ideas and other people, who in turn can encourage and motivate those around them." amateurs were always measuring my big toe space and that was never the longest toe.

what i've found after all the research is this foot apparently has potential negative connections to balance and stability, which absolutely makes sense why I am always tripping over everything, especially after a few brews.

so in analyzing my limbs in more depth, i never knew i had issues until people are like "mine isn't like that" and I am like what do you mean? my gloves always fit weird and i thought it was just bad generic design.. turns out it's me too.. both my thumbs are "royalty" thumbs aka "murderers" thumbs. :ROFLMAO: i always knew the thumbs were different. but the slippers are putting everything into perspective.

i can go on and on, but overall i look like a normal guy.. ok thats not so true.. but not as different as i've just recently 100% found out, i thought i was like 75% special :unsure:... so how does the story end?

i ordered a side of moose hide to see if i can diy some slippers that fit like gloves... i've spent sleepless nights watching tons of YT vids on making/fitting slippers and barefoot shoe designs. i am almost thoroughly exhausted by slippers now, so i don't know how fast my slipper making hobby will go.

Back