The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Single edge razors

Are single edge razors such as the old "Gem" razors easy to use or are they kind of like a straight razor. Wanting to know before I purchase one.

Are single edge razors such as the old "Gem" razors easy to use or are they kind of like a straight razor. Wanting to know before I purchase one.

They are easy but different. You have to keep the caps against the face instead of going steep. It s a different feeling but they are great shavers once you get the hang of it. My poor DEs are hardly used since I discovered SEs.

What are you looking at? Do you have any yet? Oh ya....make sure you get blades meant for shaving and not the ones for scraping paint!!!!

I also feel that traditional SEs, in my limited experience, are easy to use. Very different from DEs, but fun. Like DEs they run the gamut from mild to aggressive. Then there is their little brother, the Artist Club style SEs, which are like a whole new dimension of fun!

GEMs are my razor of choice. You just have to make sure that you use 0 pressure. I don't think I have had a closer shave than that I get with a Shovelhead.

My first razor was a hand me down Gem Featherweight from my father. Very efficient and easy to use. As mentioned before, just use the angle the top cap gives you, and you get a perfect shave every time.

Hi Bill!

I have a GEM Featherweight and blades I've been wanting to PIF.
If you haven't picked one up yet and are interested, let me know. ?

Thanks Jonah, that would be great. I would very much like to try one out. No I haven't picked one up yet as I really didn't know where to start when looking for one. I'll be glad to send you my address and pay for any postage involved. IV never done a pif so I'm not sure about how to do it. I'm adding this message because I accidentally sent the last one before I was finished.

Hi Bill!

I have a GEM Featherweight and blades I've been wanting to PIF.
If you haven't picked one up yet and are interested, let me know.
1f642.png

Thanks Jonah, that would be great. I would very much like to try one out. No I haven't picked one up yet as I really didn't know where to start when looking for one. I'll be glad to send you my address and pay for any postage involved. IV never done a pif so I'm not sure about how to do it. I'm adding this message because I accidentally sent the last one before I was finished.

Hi Bill!
Just wondering if you had a chance to try the GEM yet? We are anxiously awaiting your impressions. ?

I have used old Gem SE razors a few times and they shave great........on the cheeks & neck. Around the mouth & chin they are cumbersome and not nimble such as a good DE or injector razor. They are even worse for under the nose IMO. Any good vintage injector with a good blade, e.g., Schick Proline B-20, shaves just as good and is far more nimble IMO. There is a reason those behemoth "paint scrapers" went the way of the dinosaurs. ;)

The Gem micromatic clog pruf is one of my all-time favorite razors. Great combination of smooth and aggressive for me. Very close shave. And the best part is when I twist to open the lid when I am looking straight at it, it looks like Squidward from Sponge Bob is looking straight back at me! Gem juniors are a great place to start with SEs. Most people consider them mild and I agree.

Gents,

Have been thinking about trying out an SE razor.
Have eyes on the RR Hawk V3, since I've enjoyed their offerings.

Would love opinions/suggestions if you're willing to offer them.

Thanks,
Tom

Back