The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Simpsons: Somerset -vs- Modern knots

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
From my reading, I understand that Simpsons Somerset brushes used a different kind of handle stick that seems to have some sort of magical glow about them. Unicorn farts and leprechaun earwax added to the stock?

But how do the knots compare to modern? I am led to belief that the modern knots are more stuffed/dense than the Somerset, but that the Somerset tips might be a tad softer when compared to modern?

I’ve had a number of Somersets over the years, and I would say that the current Isle of Man production is slightly denser than Somerset stocks. Less density translates to a softer face feel since the hairs can bend more. Somerset and IOM Best is very similar. 3 band Super is the same way, with incredibly soft tips. IOM stands out with Manchurian, which has a stiffness similar to best, and softer, scrubbier tips unlike Best or Super. Some call Manchurian a marketing ploy, but I honestly believe they are different hairs entirely.

I haven't used a Somerset knot. But if I'm getting a badger knot these days and I have the $$$ I'm going Paladin. If I don't want to spend a lot I'm going Stirling. Stirling's knots are some of the best on the market in my opinion and the price is amazing.

Back