The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Silk in shave soaps

Okay, I got to ask the soapaholics on this forum what the deal is with silk. I noticed a lot of soaps coming out these days say they use silk as an ingredient much like a couple of years ago, soaps began saying they use clay. I know it is supposed to improve the cushion and glide of the lather, but is it for real, and how is it different from clay?

I can't comment too much on this and the resident soap making hobby people probably have a better idea. I will say however, that some of the soaps I have or have used that contain silk in some form...tussah silk usually...are some of the slickest soap I have used. I first noticed it in a Through the Fire Fine Craft soap a few years ago. A couple others here and there. But you are right...it seem like there are a lot more lately that have been using it.

On Edit: just did a quick look at my soaps...Noble Otter, Cold River Soap Works, and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations are just a few that are using silk in some form or fashion.

I don’t know what it does, but it’s great. Mystic Water is the first soap I ever used that has silk in it. And I think that’s a big part of what makes it so good.

Back