The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Show us your Eagles...

bosch

Master TSC Shave Member
Simpsons Eagle shave brush is one of the most ergonomic handle styles I've used, and it's one of my favorite brush styles (YMMV). So....

Show us your Eagles and give your opinion of this style brush. Other manufacturers using this handle sale are welcome. I'll go first. 4 Simpsons and 3 Rudy Vey. :) :)

eagles.JPG

I’ve loved the look of the eagles for a long time.

which size is your favorite? And iirc tt used to only really come in Pure, right? Whats your go to knot on these?

which size is your favorite? And iirc tt used to only really come in Pure, right? Whats your go to knot on these?

Hi, Jon. Thanks for your reply. Favorite size is G3, standard size for Simpsons, although I've seen G2 and I have a G1 in the photo. G1 is pure bristle. Not for the faint of heart, but I like it! It has some scrub/scritch and can really power through hard soaps which I prefer. You can find other than pure bristle on the Simpsons website. I've had pure (G1 faux ivory Simpson in photo), best (pif'd), super (pif'd), 2 band silvertip (jade Simpson in photo), and Manchurian (ebony and faux Simpsons in photo). The 3 Rudy Veys are Shavemac 2 band silvertip (butterscotch & lime) and faux ivory in Shavemac d01 2 band silvertip in photo. Currently I favor either of the Manchurians or the d01 because (again) of their ability to power through hard soaps. Manchurians and d01 are very dense, robust, scrubby knots. These are what I like now. Recently, I have also developed a fondness for boar bristle. Earlier in my shave journey, I preferred soft, gentle, luxurious knots like a Shavemac 2 band silvertip, not (see what I did there? ;)) d01! But, we do change as time moves forward. Rudy Vey describes the d01 2 band as an acquired taste. BTW, yesterday I ordered another Shavemac brush w/ d01 2 band silvertip knot.

In everything stated above, as in most things in life, YMMV. Let me know if you have questions or if I've not been clear. Enjoy the quest! :)

Love the eagle myself but have yet to get one. I’d like one I’m best but they do not currently make one in that knot.

Hi, Jon. Thanks for your reply. Favorite size is G3, standard size for Simpsons, although I've seen G2 and I have a G1 in the photo. G1 is pure bristle. Not for the faint of heart, but I like it! It has some scrub/scritch and can really power through hard soaps which I prefer. You can find other than pure bristle on the Simpsons website. I've had pure (G1 faux ivory Simpson in photo), best (pif'd), super (pif'd), 2 band silvertip (jade Simpson in photo), and Manchurian (ebony and faux Simpsons in photo). The 3 Rudy Veys are Shavemac 2 band silvertip (butterscotch & lime) and faux ivory in Shavemac d01 2 band silvertip in photo. Currently I favor either of the Manchurians or the d01 because (again) of their ability to power through hard soaps. Manchurians and d01 are very dense, robust, scrubby knots. These are what I like now. Recently, I have also developed a fondness for boar bristle. Earlier in my shave journey, I preferred soft, gentle, luxurious knots like a Shavemac 2 band silvertip, not (see what I did there? ;)) d01! But, we do change as time moves forward. Rudy Vey describes the d01 2 band as an acquired taste. BTW, yesterday I ordered another Shavemac brush w/ d01 2 band silvertip knot.

In everything stated above, as in most things in life, YMMV. Let me know if you have questions or if I've not been clear. Enjoy the quest! :)

Bosch, they look awesome. i think i only have shavemacs through 3rd partys, like savile row & epsilon collabos. I think i may have an eagle or 2 waiting for me. but I just added another badger/boar mixed to my collection, first non-semogue, and it's quite different than the caravela, and 2012 SEs,, i had also turned a eagle handle back in the day, but made the hole to small, i need to enlarge it, finish the handle, and get it stuffed!

@bosch, you sure do have me eyeing up an Eagle! I favor the "lesser known" Simpson models (56, Tulip 2, Milk Churn, Wee Scot... Rover would be nice!), and recently have been considering a Keyhole KH2, but now that I take a closer look at that Eagle handle,... how could I resist? I see Simpson has a few them (Eagle 3) currently offered in limited edition two-band and Manchurian badger brushes! Curse and bless you!!!!

@bosch, you sure do have me eyeing up an Eagle! I favor the "lesser known" Simpson models (56, Tulip 2, Milk Churn, Wee Scot... Rover would be nice!), and recently have been considering a Keyhole KH2, but now that I take a closer look at that Eagle handle,... how could I resist? I see Simpson has a few them (Eagle 3) currently offered in limited edition two-band and Manchurian badger brushes! Curse and bless you!!!!

Haha! It is a blessing and a curse as we travel these various rabbit holes. Good luck on your quest. Godspeed, brother! :)

I am a huge fan of the Eagle.

6E0EB845-AC50-4A7E-8688-1407463D55D9.jpeg
On the right is the Eagle G3 in Best that I got as part of the fantastic group buy done over at B&B way back in 2010 which benefitted the Operation Smile charity. It has what I believe to be a Chubby 1 Best badger knot in it, and is one of the best brushes I ever used.

On the left is a Somerset Simpson Eagle G2 in Pure badger that I acquired NIB in 2012 or so during a hunt I undertook, eventually finding one of the acquirers of David Carter’s stock of Simpsons from before the sale to the Wattersons and Vulfix. It’s a very good brush and not as prickly as one might expect from a pure badger brush.

Note the modest size and shape differences between the two, with the Somerset being a bit shorter and more compact in hand.

Back