The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shaving in the wild: Wet shaving while camping

Earlier this month I took my family to Crater Lake National Park. I hadn't been there since I was a kid and I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to experience the grandeur of the park in their youth This brought about the opportunity for a new challenge. Wet shaving while camping. Normally when camping, I don't bother shaving. This time I wanted to see if I could have an enjoyable shaving experience while "roughing it". I didn't take my straight razor because I was nervous about using the side view mirror on the car and having enough reflective real-estate to get a good shave. My razor of choice ended up being a 1984 Gillette Super Adjustable. A reliable, great shaving vintage razor (yes, 1984 is vintage. I'm old enough to be vintage along with it.) I took a vintage Simms brush that's been restored with a silver tip badger knot, and a Cherry City Shave Products lather bowl. I could have heated water on the fire for my shaves, but chose to experience cold water shaves instead. I enjoy a cold water shave periodically and I think it really lent to the experience. Bottom line, it was a great trip and I had some amazing shaves while enjoying the outdoors. Next time you're planning a camping trip, consider taking a small portion of your shave den with you. I promise it'll be a great shaving experience.

Great start to your journal Jim, and those pictures of Crater Lake are amazing! If I ever make it out to camp, I'll be taking something with me to shave.

BTW, great handlebar!

Now that’s very cool. My wife says she wants to see Crater Lake, so we might be making a side trip on our trip to Portland next month.

Very nice shave setup! I love that bowl! And your pics are fantastic. I don't do much in the way of camping anymore, mostly because I live in Southern Louisiana...and camping here is too wet, too buggy, too hot, and too many snakes. Trying to plan a trip in the near future though to do some camping in Arkansas in the Ozarks!

Good looking crew you’ve got there! Awesome pics. Congrats on the shave too!

Excellent kit and pictures! Would love to see Crater Lake one day. Glad to see that mustache wax is also a camping essential
1f61c.png

Great trip Jim!

See Chad...the good shave don’t have to stop just because you’re outdoors! ?

Great shave and pictures Jim!

I've never been attracted to camping. I always say my idea of ruffing it is if the motel doesn't have WIFI. (used to say cable)
1f60f.png

So if '84 is vintage I guess I'm antique.
1f604.png

Great shave and pictures Jim!

I've never been attracted to camping. I always say my idea of ruffing it is if the motel doesn't have WIFI. (used to say cable)
1f60f.png

So if '84 is vintage I guess I'm antique.
1f604.png
Me, too. I was starting medical school in 1984.

Nice pics, by the way. :)

Beautiful family and photo’s. I bet you guys will be talking about this vacation for many years. I love the photo of the shaving soap. ?

WOW! That camping trip looks amazing. My wife has been bugging me to go camping but we just haven't had the right time. Hopefully soon.

And hammock camping to boot! As I vinted (became more vintage) I found I don’t enjoy getting up from the ground as much as I used to. That’s when I switched to hammocks.

Back