The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shave Soaps used for Bath Soaps

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I do this from time to time. I find that a shave soap that I have doesn't cut the mustard or just has been in the Den way too long. Or maybe it's a soap that you know you just won't use for whatever reason. Sometimes I will relegate this soap to use in the shower. Anyone else do this?

Currently I am using a puck of PdP Shave Soap that I found lacking for my shaves...but I am really enjoying as a bath soap!

PdP.png

I’ve been using a Ted Baker soap my wife got for me in the shower. Couldn’t get it to lather but it’s quite nice for bathing.

Haven’t tried that.
Very Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously, the soap needs to be a firmer soap. Croaps or soft soaps probably won't work too well. But yeah...if it's something I don't want to give away...then I will use it in the shower.

I use “shave soap” as my regular shower soap as a matter of routine. I am overrun by the stuff so I have no choice but to use it in the shower. Obviously the hard pucks can be used like a bar soap but even a softer croap can be used in the shower if I stuff it in one of those cotton soap saver things or load a wash cloth from the tub. I make/made my own shampoo bars so I usually stick with those for hair washing because if I don’t my scalp revolts but I find most shave soaps are pretty friendly shampoo alternatives as long as they aren’t overly generous with the ‘skin foods’... what feels good on the face post shave make my hair heavy and my scalp very unhappy after a few uses. For what it’s worth I also keep a synthetic brush in the shower and do a legitimate face lather with each shower, whether I am stepping out to shave or not.

Yeah, I've done it many times, usually with a soap that works fine but I'm just getting tired of it. If you use a soap net, you can even use croaps as body soap.

Going to do this for the first time. My bar soap is out and I'm just not using my Stirling's Port Au Prince original release much in my rotation.

I just ordered some CBL fresh vetiver today to keep that vetiver scent in my rotation though. Vetiver is one of my favorite scents.

Can't wait to give it a try!!

I have used soap that I don’t like for lathering in the shower. A poor shaving soap like TOBS Traditional worked fine in the shower and mitigated what would have been equivalent to throwing money away. I hope to not have to do this again, but at least know I will get some utility from even a poor purchase.

For what it’s worth I also keep a synthetic brush in the shower and do a legitimate face lather with each shower, whether I am stepping out to shave or not.
I have seen you say this before. Does it really make a difference? This might be a good way for me to use up some soaps I just can't seem to get rid of. Might have to give it a go for a while and see if it improves my mug!

I’ve done this often, when a soap doesn’t perform well for shaving.

Even croaps... I just pull them out of the tub and let them dry out first.

When Chris had his beta pucks on sale I bought a bunch of them. Have used a couple in the shower and honestly it’s the best shower soap I’ve ever used.

I think this is a great way to reduce a lot of my overflow, and I like it the more I think about it. 💸💸💸

I have seen you say this before. Does it really make a difference? This might be a good way for me to use up some soaps I just can't seem to get rid of. Might have to give it a go for a while and see if it improves my mug!
I honestly think the face lathering in the shower has been a good thing. Not only do a lot of poor performing soaps really shine in the shower (proving that a "bad" soap just needs more water and less fussing) the regular scrub-a-dub-dub of the brush seems to be a worthwhile addition to the old man skin care regime. I say once the barber starts cutting your eyebrows (an early sign of aging) you will benefit from the added face lather. One thing I found from doing a face lather in the evening or before bed was that my beards seemed more pronounced and ready to be shaved in the morning.

I try to use the same shave soap in the shower for face lathering until its gone but I fail there too. I have had a tub of Razorock on the shelf for 8 months and can't seem to finish it because I always end up with a slice of some beta puck or a tub of this or that I want to use.

Not sure if this is the case with other shave soap pucks that are being used in the shower. But my bathroom smells heavily of Stirling's Port Au Prince.

I can even smell it in the hallway if the bathroom door is open.

Seems to keep my skin well hydrated and I like washing my face with it too. Makes for good prep when I'm done showering and ready to shave my whiskers.

Even croaps... I just pull them out of the tub and let them dry out first.
Indeed. I’ll leave the lid off of softer soaps for days or even a week or two, and the soap will start to shrink and pull away from the sides of the tub. They’re easy to get out in puck form then.

The Stirling PaP as a soap is working well.

Won't be using my next soap this way.

One reason is that the puck is almost gone and it's just over 2 weeks.

I think, I'll just using them as a pre shave face wash soap.

I've noticed that my shaves have gotten better and I think it's because I'm washing my face in the shower with the Stirling soap works better than the pre shave products I've used.

Back