The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Setting a knot with NANO tape...

How's it going everyone? Hopefully all is well.

After having to let go of a good amount of stunning brushes, due to the knots not working in my favor, I felt that the handle and separate knot method was probably the way to go.
Using a couple of different types of silicone seemed to be the best option as it allowed the flexibility to tinker with spacers and loft settings if need be; while still maintaining a secure bond.
The downside was when it came to the actual reknot process.
Gunky, wouldn't always come out clean, and if any silicone was left in the bore hole, some light sanding and/or scraping was required.
It gets the job done, but about 6 months ago, while grabbing a few items from the local dollar store, I saw some rolls of 'double-sided waterproof acrylic gel tape' (more universally identified as NANO tape) and thought, 'hmmm, I wonder'.

Well, I find it to be a game changer and haven't looked back since.
when I first posted about it in a small group, people began to inquire, so rather than posting multiple replies, I made a rough video. So if you're the type who prefers to set a knot themselves, or just curious, feel free to watch. :)
20211102_194730.jpg
Setting a knot with NANO tape

Have you used that long-term or do you just use it temporarily while you decide if you like the knot?

Yes, I do this too. I started last February/March using 3M VHB tape. It has worked very well for me. Here is my thread from then - Taping a knot in a handle

The original 2 brushes in that thread are still going strong with the tape. I don't know how many uses they have on them but I use them in a regular rotation of about 10-12 brushes. I believe I have set 3 more knots with tape since then. The only issue I have had is I set one knot in with too many spacers under it and had to pull it apart, remove a spacer and reset it. That one later failed and came apart during my shave. So the lesson I learned was that you have one shot at setting the knot with 3M VHB tape and if you pull it apart you are better off removing all the tape and using a new piece.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Yes, I do this too. I started last February/March using 3M VHB tape. It has worked very well for me. Here is my thread from then - Taping a knot in a handle

The original 2 brushes in that thread are still going strong with the tape. I don't know how many uses they have on them but I use them in a regular rotation of about 10-12 brushes. I believe I have set 3 more knots with tape since then. The only issue I have had is I set one knot in with too many spacers under it and had to pull it apart, remove a spacer and reset it. That one later failed and came apart during my shave. So the lesson I learned was that you have one shot at setting the knot with 3M VHB tape and if you pull it apart you are better off removing all the tape and using a new piece.

Good luck, keep us updated.
Oh for sure. New tape for each setting.
The most I've used is 2 1mm spacers.

It's cheap, so no loss. :)

Back