The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scheffield Blade

SteveH

Shave Newbie
Hi all,

Anyone familiar with the Scheffield style blade from Koraat. I have two full hollow razors and am looking to get a razor a little stiffer.

Newer to straight razor shaving and have no experience whatsoever with anything other than full hollow.

Thanjs

SteveH

Hi all,

Anyone familiar with the Scheffield style blade from Koraat. I have two full hollow razors and am looking to get a razor a little stiffer.

Newer to straight razor shaving and have no experience whatsoever with anything other than full hollow.

Thanjs

SteveH
Hi Steve,

Sorry I missed this one. The only Koraat variant I have intimate knowledge of is the 14 2.0 with the bellied hollow grind. I know several gentlemen with the Sheffield grind from Koraat and they are very happy with their purchase. Definitely an awesome way to get into a heavier grind! I'd also suggest you take a look at vintage real Sheffield blades made by Wade & Butcher, Greaves, Wolstenholme, F.Fenny, and Rodgers they can be found for much less than a Koraat and shave wonderfully once cleaned and honed. A Koraat is cool because it can be endlessly customized, but a a vintage razor can exude history and class. The choice is up to you, but you won't go wrong either way. Ulrich at Koraat is a top notch guy if you're looking for an endorsement, but he is proud of his razors and should be!

Welcome and great first post!

Matt

Hi Steve,

Sorry I missed this one. The only Koraat variant I have intimate knowledge of is the 14 2.0 with the bellied hollow grind. I know several gentlemen with the Sheffield grind from Koraat and they are very happy with their purchase. Definitely an awesome way to get into a heavier grind! I'd also suggest you take a look at vintage real Sheffield blades made by Wade & Butcher, Greaves, Wolstenholme, F.Fenny, and Rodgers they can be found for much less than a Koraat and shave wonderfully once cleaned and honed. A Koraat is cool because it can be endlessly customized, but a a vintage razor can exude history and class. The choice is up to you, but you won't go wrong either way. Ulrich at Koraat is a top notch guy if you're looking for an endorsement, but he is proud of his razors and should be!

Welcome and great first post!

Matt
…and Frederick Reynolds. I got 2. Good Sheffield razors too.

Thanks guys for all the info. It is really appreciated. I did order a Sheffield from Koraat but will likely look into the vintage razors you suggested. I saw on Wade and Butchers site that they (whoever owns it now) plan to start making razors again. This straight razor thing is really a much more interesting thing than I could ever have imagined.

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks guys for all the info. It is really appreciated. I did order a Sheffield from Koraat but will likely look into the vintage razors you suggested. I saw on Wade and Butchers site that they (whoever owns it now) plan to start making razors again. This straight razor thing is really a much more interesting thing than I could ever have imagined.

Thanks again

Steve
Good deal! You’re at the entrance of the rabbit hole, believe me when I say it can run very deep!

Thanks again

Steve
Good luck with the modern Wade and Butcher website. It is years old and nothing has come of it. The brand was bought by the same guy who owned Zulu Grey honing stones, and absconded with buyers money. Forget about the modern W&B website. Sorry to say. Focus on the vintage W&B.

Good luck with the modern Wade and Butcher website. It is years old and nothing has come of it. The brand was bought by the same guy who owned Zulu Grey honing stones, and absconded with buyers money. Forget about the modern W&B website. Sorry to say. Focus on the vintage W&B.
This is true, I was excited about it too, but nothing came of it.

Back