The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scents of your forefathers you remember

MY grandfather had all kinds of aftershaves. Yet, oddly I can't remember the smell of any of them on him at all. I remember the smell of his dirty T-shirts though, blah.

It's totally bizarre to me that I don't remember the scents on him at all, but he talked about them all the time. The big ones were Aramis and Stetson. I need to get my hands on these, just to see if they tigger anything.

BUT he also bought or gave me tons of shave products when I was a teenager. Mostly it was Old Spice, which I didn't care for at the time. I didn't think of it as dated, but as just weird and boring. However there was English Leather, which I did like quite a bit. Brut I hated, I felt like you had to be a jock to wear it. Later I got into the 'musk, scents that were also a rage in the 80's but darn I can't recall which one it was.

My grand dad use to have a funny smell about him that I couldn’t quote place. Then I bought some Myrsol Don Miguel 1919 and a lightbulb went off in my head [emoji362]. What ever he was wearing must have had a jasmine scent to it because I’m 95% positive my Don Miguel has a strong jasmine forward.

My dad used copious amounts of Aqua Velva Ice Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never knew what my grandfathers wore, but the first time i smelled la toja d Manatiales ASL, it smelled like him. While he visited many places, I’m 💯 pretty sure he didnt have la toja in his bathroom.

Anyone know what smells similar?

I never knew what my grandfathers wore, but the first time i smelled la toja d Manatiales ASL, it smelled like him. While he visited many places, I’m 💯 pretty sure he didnt have la toja in his bathroom.

Anyone know what smells similar?
Menthol cigarettes or snuff/chewing/pipe tobacco?

Brut, Bill Blass, Lagerfeld, Pierre Cadin and Royall Bay Rhum, Along with the standards, of AV, Skin Bracer, Avon, ETC

The grandfather I knew died in 1993 at age 97, and the only scent I remember was Old Spice. I still love the vintage stuff to this day and I'm confident it's due to that memory. Thanks for starting this thread and reminding me of it.

Back