The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scents of your forefathers you remember

OpusX

TSC’s Master of Warp Cores, Alchemy, Ale, & Cider
I had been thinking of this recntly and thought I'd pose the question to the cadre at large.

I recall both of my gradfathers aromas distinctly. One was and Old Spice man, and is the reason I love it so much. The other was Aqua Velva, and is also a classic aroma of nostalgic love for me.

My fathers most distictive scent to date is CK Obsession. Man, he would come out of the bathroom circa 1992 with that heavy aroma pouring off of him. Still need to get some in the den.

I'm the opposite. My grandpa used to use the green stuff and the blue stuff. So I can't wear it because I associated it with old guys.

One of my grandfathers wore no scent as far as I know. The other wore Aqua Velva, and I do think of him whenever I use it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The only scent I’ve ever been aware of from my dad is Old Spice. He gave me my first bottle.

My grandfather, I have no idea.

Grandfather died at 97 in the mid '60's, all I remember is snuff and wood smoke. I used to get my old man Old Spice stuff at Christmas but I was a kid and I never paid attention to what people smelled like, unless it was bad or something.

I distinctly remember the scent of my dad's aftershave/cologne,... Canoe. I don't have the foggiest idea if it still exists, but I sure would love to smell that once again.

I had been thinking of this recntly and thought I'd pose the question to the cadre at large.

I recall both of my gradfathers aromas distinctly. One was and Old Spice man, and is the reason I love it so much. The other was Aqua Velva, and is also a classic aroma of nostalgic love for me.

My fathers most distictive scent to date is CK Obsession. Man, he would come out of the bathroom circa 1992 with that heavy aroma pouring off of him. Still need to get some in the den.
I like Aqua Velva too, and more importantly, so does my wife. ;) (she likes it on me of course, not her)

My father wasn't much of an aftershave man and used carts and canned cream, but has used the Old Spice classic deodorant for as long as I can remember. That scent doesn't exactly line up 1:1 with the splash but it's close and will forever remind me of him relaxing after work in his undershirt. Found out recently that his father was an Old Spice guy too and did liberally use the splash.

Every once in a while I jump on YouTube and watch the vintage Old Spice commercials - they were some of my favorites.

I distinctly remember the scent of my dad's aftershave/cologne,... Canoe. I don't have the foggiest idea if it still exists, but I sure would love to smell that once again.
It most certainly does exist, at least in a “current” version. I have some Cologne and splash I’d be happy to send to you. Otherwise watch the drug store holiday sales displays, they can be found for about $10 in a gift pack from time to time.
The scent is similar to Pinaud Clubman BUT it’s much closer to the coachman aftershave.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 8
It most certainly does exist, at least in a “current” version. I have some Cologne and splash I’d be happy to send to you. Otherwise watch the drug store holiday sales displays, they can be found for about $10 in a gift pack from time to time.
The scent is similar to Pinaud Clubman BUT it’s much closer to the coachman aftershave.
YES! Thank you for sharing the pic @CBLindsay!
I can vividly recall the series of nautical flags on the label of the bottle that my dad always had on the bathroom counter, ...as well as the very pale to nearly clear color of the liquid contents therein!
Boy, this brings back memories!

This is one thing that I'm lacking in my wet shaving back story. I recall both of my grandfathers having stubble nearly all the time. I suspect that in the time I knew them, they were shaving with electrics. My dad always sported a beard. So I have no memories of my family members shaving or smelling like any products.

Now, I do have one memory, that led me down my my aftershave rabbit hole. My grandparent's bathroom was decorated with several Avon aftershave decanters. I recall staring at those bottles often when I went to their house. When I learned about aftershave, and saw that people were still using vintage Avon, it led me to collect a few of the bottles that I specifically remember from that time, including the Sidewheeler riverboat, Swinger Golf Bag, Avon Open Golf Cart, and the Mini-Bike. My Grandmother on the other side of my family was an Avon rep and sold those decanters. And my father did have one bottle of Wild Country stashed away, he said he used it as a cologne, so special occasions (but I don't recall ever smelling it). Because of all of these reason's Avon really means something special to me, and when I discovered how easy it was to acquire, from antique stores at very reasonable prices, it led to a huge collection.

Then, after my Grandfather passed, I was given a few aftershave decanters that were not Avon..... they were in fact Amway decanters, and the backstory on these is amazing. My grandfather worked for Amway, way one of the first few employees, and was instrumental in developing their initial products. The decanters I received were prototype pieces that my grandfather had saved. Not only did these belong to my Grandpa, but he helped make them. He was involved with the design of the decanters and worked with the glass and plastic suppliers to have them made. I will cherish these forever.

Old Pic, sorry about the watermark
L-R: Gramophone (production prototype w/ brown glass), Powder Flask, Gramophone (pre-production w/clear glass)
AMway.jpg

The gramophone decanter was the first decanter Amway made for aftershave. They both contain Caliber aftershave. The trademark for Caliber was filed and registered in 1960. Also note that the special shaped Amway decanters pre-date Avon's special shaped decanters.

The powder flask decanter has no label, but contains Tonga aftershave. All three bottles have the word Amway stamped into the glass on the bottom.

So, in the end, I don't have a scent that reminds me of them..... but I have products that make me think of them every time I use them.

Canoe. I don't have the foggiest idea if it still exists,
It's pretty easily available. Check Walmart. I usually see it there. Otherwise Amazon will certainly have it.

I recall my grandfather, an Italian transplant, was an Old Spice man. I think he also used Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer because I saw it in his bathroom but what I smelled was the Old SPice. Imagine my dismay when I buy some for myself and it smelled nothing like the stuff he had. My first bottle when, purchased when I was much younger smelled pretty good but I never appreciated it and it got miss placed, the next bottle not only came in a plastic bottle it smelled different.
My Dad didn't have a single scent for the longest time but somewhere along the way my mom decided he needed to smell good and he ended up with a couple different scents. I know One was Paul Sebastian (his dress up scent, he only used that one while he was at his special fighting weight) then he went with Quorum by Mary Kay or Aramis. I tried Aramis and just can't get into it ( I think Avon Oland is an Aramis clone...Me no likey). Mean while Polo green, Pierre Cardin and Stetson were all the rage but MY forefathers had nothing to do with them.

Back