The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scent Revelations

I have found that my likes have changed over the years…..I know most on this site know I will love just about anything with citrus and/or boozy notes……..but I think for me - one constant that has perplexed me is that I have always liked cucumber - when blended with other notes such as mint or melon.

I don’t like Fougeres! On paper, they sound right up my alley. But once I get them, they are too harsh and sharp and don’t smell anything like I thought they would. I have a feeling it’s the lavender in them that I don’t like.

I don’t like Fougeres! On paper, they sound right up my alley. But once I get them, they are too harsh and sharp and don’t smell anything like I thought they would. I have a feeling it’s the lavender in them that I don’t like.
How about Amber Fougeres? But I know what you are talking about, thankfully there are a lot of fougeres that don’t smell like a Brut overdose.

How about Amber Fougeres? But I know what you are talking about, thankfully there are a lot of fougeres that don’t smell like a Brut overdose.
But I love Brut!

I actually forget that Brut is a Fougere, because it doesn’t smell like any other Fougere I’ve tried.

Amber Fougere? Like what?

Last edited:
But I love Brut!

I actually forget that Brut is a Fougere, because it doesn’t smell like any other Fougere I’ve tried.

Amber Fougere? Like what?
Seeing how Brut is the king of the loud green fougeres, I bet it’s the amber sort that you don’t like! They tend to come off as a more golden type of scent, but can also be pretty lavender forward.
Tom Ford Beau du Jour is a good example.

I can't put a finger on any one scent. I've tried to learn them but my sniffer just doesn't play well. I've been hauling fuel for so long that I don't even notice the scent of gasoline unless it's pouring on me.

I like any scent of soap because I can smell it. The ones that are very subtle or light I cant enjoy unless it's just such a quality soap then I keep it for that factor.
I even like Midnight Stag and that's definitely not for most. Strong and reminds me of rubber and brakes. I envy people who can smell the details in scent.

I’ve had the opposite journey as @August West I’ve come to really dislike Geranium as a scent note. My nose picks it up quickly (especially in scents that are labeled as “rose” but use geranium instead).

it’s difficult for me to say I like or dislike a category of scents (fougere, chypre, etc) because the types/interpretations of those categories tend to be fairly different any more. Fougere is a good example, a very traditional fougere would have lavender in it (or even BE lavender based) but you could very easily say fougere is a ‘green’ scent and never really Know it has/had lavender in it. English fern and brut are both fougere and both ARE green, but they are also different in many ways. …so I usually refrain from saying I dislike entire categories of scents. I DO find I dislike most ambers, I just don’t like a poorly done creamy Amber …but a well done Amber with some creative spices is a great cold weather scent.
A scent I have really enjoyed exploring is Vetiver, there are a lot of different types and it it can be enjoyable when done well. Same with flint and/or pink peppercorn…fun scents.

I can't put a finger on any one scent. I've tried to learn them but my sniffer just doesn't play well. I've been hauling fuel for so long that I don't even notice the scent of gasoline unless it's pouring on me.

I like any scent of soap because I can smell it. The ones that are very subtle or light I cant enjoy unless it's just such a quality soap then I keep it for that factor.
I even like Midnight Stag and that's definitely not for most. Strong and reminds me of rubber and brakes. I envy people who can smell the details in scent.
If gas hauler trucks had leather seats they would smell like Knize Ten. It smells like leather and petrol to my nose. DR Harris sandalwood has a turpentine vibe I really love.

If gas hauler trucks had leather seats they would smell like Knize Ten. It smells like leather and petrol to my nose. DR Harris sandalwood has a turpentine vibe I really love.
Oh boy, have I got an aftershave that would be right up your alley! Czech Pitralon F. Pretty sure I’ve got an extra bottle. Shoot me a PM if you want it, it’s yours!

Back