The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Saponificio Varesino Soaps, Aftershaves and EDPs - A Review Thread

Labrecque24

Jr. Shave Member
Good afternoon, Gents.

I recently joined the forum and met a kind person claiming to be The Straight Razor Heyzooz.
I was looking to experience Saponificio Varesino and he was kind enough to ship some soap and aftershave samples to me.

I also went online an purchased a sample pack of the EDTs direct from Saponificio Varesino.
To my surprise the sample pack included 5 samples instead of 4, but also did not include Desert Vetiver - which was the sample I was most looking forward to.
I sent an email on the issue, but there was no response - but a few days later I received another package - 5 more of the same samples - but no D.V.
So I emailed again and was told they'd send some samples of D.V. but it's been over a week - so I am thinking maybe they are currently out????

In any case - I have had several shaves and will share some thoughts on them as time allows.

My first shave was with the 70th Anniversary scent.

The lather was adequate, but not what I expected.
That said, I am used to mostly using PAA products.
I had a very good shave and enjoyed the scent - but the scent was not preferred by my lovely wife.

Hopefully, the quality of lather will improve as I get more experience with the soap.
I will focus on ensuring it is better hydrated.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20230315_202332.jpg
    20230315_202332.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230315_071504.jpg
    20230315_071504.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230315_064700.jpg
    20230315_064700.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
I’ve found SV products to be on par with some of the better regular and tallow artisan brands…and the AS some of the best among alcohol splashes. No mean feat considering they’re all vegan and naturally sourced.

SV soaps, I’m pretty sure, are triple milled. As such, they are going to load differently than some of the softer artisan soaps. You may need to load longer, or use more of your sample.

It is difficult to get a full appreciation of how a soap will perform off a puck when dealing with samples, most of the time. We try to make samples last as long as possible, and as such, we end up under loading our brush. When I use a sample, I put the entire sample in a bowl and spread it out as much as possible, so it approximates the width of a full puck, then try to load as if it was a full puck.

Good morning!

I had some of the 70th Anniversary left from the last shave.
I gave it a good soak while I showered and the lather came out much better.

I used the Opuntia aftershave today - I don't have a soap sample for that and this seemed like a reasonable pairing.
Great shave.
Really like the AFS.
Also dabbed on some of the EDT from the samples that I got.
Pretty impressed.

Pretty impressed.

I have been leaning towards the Desert Vetiver - tried the AFS from the sample pack that Matt provided.
However, I had a 20% off coupon for Pasteur's and it expired (even though there was no date when provided).

So... does anyone know how to get a decent deal if a guy would want to pick up the Desert Vetiver soap and AFS?
Hoping I don't have to wait for Black Friday - but I have a 3 year old so I force myself to deal shop and be patient.
I might also pickup the Opuntia AFS - I would pair it with my PAA Doppleganger Grey.

Have an amazing day!

Attachments

• 20230323_071757.jpg
    20230323_071757.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230323_064652.jpg
    20230323_064652.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1
We have a vendor here who is the US distributor for sv. Antonio Pavan, a brand to Markets. Just look at our vendor stores and you can see everything you need to see from there. @Antonio P

We have a vendor here who is the US distributor for sv. Antonio Pavan, a brand to Markets. Just look at our vendor stores and you can see everything you need to see from there. @Antonio P
Thanks, Dave.
It looks like I'll need to hold out for the BlackFriday/Cyber Monday deals.

Luckily, I am a patient man.
I'll just have to enjoy the samples Matt sent over until then,

And hopefully the samples of Desert Vetiver EDP that were never sent will eventually get here.

Have an amazing day!

Glad to see you started this thread, thanks @BarberDave for the original PIF, it appears that the remaining samples went to the right place!

I have been using S.V soaps for a few years now. Blooming the soaps improves the lather IMO. The packaging does advise to do so. I have mild Rosacea and S.V soaps never make my sensitive skin feel warm/hot or give that "prickly" feeling. My skin feels calm after a shave with these soaps. I've used em all with no problems. Heavily scented soaps are a no go for me and S.V soaps are on the mild side here. I'm a huge Saponificio Varesino fan.

Good afternoon, Gents.

I recently joined the forum and met a kind person claiming to be The Straight Razor Heyzooz.
I was looking to experience Saponificio Varesino and he was kind enough to ship some soap and aftershave samples to me.

I also went online an purchased a sample pack of the EDTs direct from Saponificio Varesino.
To my surprise the sample pack included 5 samples instead of 4, but also did not include Desert Vetiver - which was the sample I was most looking forward to.
I sent an email on the issue, but there was no response - but a few days later I received another package - 5 more of the same samples - but no D.V.
So I emailed again and was told they'd send some samples of D.V. but it's been over a week - so I am thinking maybe they are currently out????

In any case - I have had several shaves and will share some thoughts on them as time allows.

My first shave was with the 70th Anniversary scent.

The lather was adequate, but not what I expected.
That said, I am used to mostly using PAA products.
I had a very good shave and enjoyed the scent - but the scent was not preferred by my lovely wife.

Hopefully, the quality of lather will improve as I get more experience with the soap.
I will focus on ensuring it is better hydrated.

Cheers!

Labrecque24 , I am so sorry for the problem you encountered. I am the distributor of SV here in the US and even though it shouldnt be your concern, I want to explain what happened. Because DV was the last addition to the collection some of the sets in the warehouse were without that fragrance and that's why you didnt get it. If you can DM directly I will take care of you immediately. CIao​

Labrecque24 , I am so sorry for the problem you encountered. I am the distributor of SV here in the US and even though it shouldnt be your concern, I want to explain what happened. Because DV was the last addition to the collection some of the sets in the warehouse were without that fragrance and that's why you didnt get it. If you can DM directly I will take care of you immediately. CIao​

DM sent.
Thanks for reaching out so quickly.

I didn't realize that DV was the last edition.
I got a sample or Morado and I thought that was newer than DV (according to the website).
Maybe you mean it was the last one added to the sample set?
I am confused - but it is not a big deal.
I appreciate you being so willing to help.
Have a great Friday.

Well played @Antonio P

Thanks for the customer service!

I didn't realize that DV was the last edition.
I got a sample or Morado and I thought that was newer than DV (according to the website).
Maybe you mean it was the last one added to the sample set?
I am confused - but it is not a big deal.
I appreciate you being so willing to help.
Have a great Friday.
Yes, sorry, I meant was the last one added to the sample set..
I asked my office to put two envelope in the mail today (NY) one with After shave and one with Eau de perfum.
Again , sorry for confusion.

I think this proves that the vendors here on The Shaving Cadre are some of the finest out there. Talk about your A-list customer service!!!! Nice job @Antonio P ....I may have to see about sending an order your way.

Yes, sorry, I meant was the last one added to the sample set..
I asked my office to put two envelope in the mail today (NY) one with After shave and one with Eau de perfum.
Again , sorry for confusion.
Hi Antonio,
The envelopes showed up today but they were not correctly mailed.
The post office is requiring me to pay $7.48 in postage if I want to receive them.

Could you please respond on what you'd like me to do?
I'm not willing to pay this for the missing sample that wasn't included in the original order.
Should I ask them to return to sender (you)?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I am mortified! I went to talk to my people to find out what happened and the Intern that was helping us put the staff in the mail and stamped as regular mail.....I have no words.,,, even for a simple mailing they need babysitting, at least he didn't put it in trash can on the street thinking that it was a mailbox.😤
At this point please USPS to return to sender and I will personally mail it myself today WITH THE CORRECT POSTAGE :)
Thank you

Hi Tom,

I am mortified! I went to talk to my people to find out what happened and the Intern that was helping us put the staff in the mail and stamped as regular mail.....I have no words.,,, even for a simple mailing they need babysitting, at least he didn't put it in trash can on the street thinking that it was a mailbox.😤
At this point please USPS to return to sender and I will personally mail it myself today WITH THE CORRECT POSTAGE :)
Thank you
Hi Antonio.

It happens and I will have the post office return to you.
Please do not resend, no need to pay for more postage.
If I place an order, can you add 1 or 2 samples of the Desert Vetiver EDP into that package?

@Luecke3262 sent me a sample of the Desert Vetiver Aftershave - my wife likes it - so I plan to order that, and the matching soap.

The EDP samples would be helpful - My wife is sensitive to strong scents - so I want to test the EDP with her before purchasing.

Back