The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Saponificio Varesino Comparison 2020

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
The following chart is based on the "Tour of Saponificio". Used is the same criteria for the 2020 "Shoot-Outs" and although "my favorite" did not win, all of these are fantastic and was done in an effort for this looking to purchase and try this brand a roadmap of sorts

BarberDave’s Soap Shootouts 2020

Name/Criteria
70th
Anniversary
Dolomiti
Cubebe
Opuntia
Manna Di Sicilia
Desert Vertiver
Stella Alpina
Tundra Artica
Felce Aromatica
Mirto Do Sardegna
Presentation/Packaging
Initial Fragrance
Appeal / Strength
Latherability
Lather Stability
In-Shave Fragrance
Strength/Complexity
Glide / Slickness
Cushion
Face Feel
Post-Shave
Fragrance Strength
Post-Shave Face
Feel / Nourishment
Skin Sensitivity
lower score more sensitivity
FINAL SCORES

Name/Criteria
Cosmo
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Presentation/Packaging
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
Initial Fragrance
Appeal / Strength
Latherability
Lather Stability
In-Shave Fragrance
Strength/Complexity
Glide / Slickness
Cushion
Face Feel
Post-Shave
Fragrance Strength
Post-Shave Face
Feel / Nourishment
Skin Sensitivity
lower score more sensitivity
FINAL SCORES
42​
All Videos for this "Tour" can be found Starting Here:

BarberDave's Barbershop at Home

and continuring to the completion Here:

BarberDave's Barbershop at Home

Last edited:
Sorry Final Score error for Cosmo. should be 42 in total.
Great series about the SV, thanks a million.

OK William Shatner......
I was Driving

giphy.gif

Yep, I see 42 as well. Have Artic Tundra, 70th and Opuntia. Now I'm glad to have Desert Vetiver on the way. Thanks David 🤪
I started with Tundra Artica as it was one of the cheaper ones and I wanted to have a SV badly. Now I also own 70th, Cubebe and Desert Vetiver. After this series Opuntia is high on my wishlist. Glad SV is only bringing out 1 soap/year.

I started with Tundra Artica as it was one of the cheaper ones and I wanted to have a SV badly. Now I also own 70th, Cubebe and Desert Vetiver. After this series Opuntia is high on my wishlist. Glad SV is only bringing out 1 soap/year.
I had a Cubebe set and pif'd it

SV Dolomiti was one of those soaps I tried a few years back that gave me a real WOW!! experience.

Shortly after that I got the 4.3 Felce.

SV has always provided me with great shaves. Can't ever recall a bad one. Like to use it on weekends or days off. But now I'm having thoughts on work days too. Seems like the soap is holding up really well for the number of uses.

Hope to eventually get the Vetiver as I like Vetiver scents. So I was glad to see they put one out.

@BarberDave are all these soaps made with the same ingredients more or less? I know SV isn't a tallow based soap, but didn't know if some contain ingredients others don't have. Also...are these different formulations? Would you be able to tell us which soaps are made with newer formulations?

This is a good comparison thread. I know your views on these soaps are subjective...but it gives a nice starting point.

After watching @BarberDave ’s SV series of videos and having tried an aftershave sample of SV Cosmo, I am now feeling the need for a SV soap and aftershave to add to my den. My wife and I both lIked the scent of the Cosmo sample I used, but the scent description of 70th and Dolomiti also sound great. Looks like 70th is also a favorite of many Cadre members, so now I am stuck between getting Cosmo, Dolomiti, or 70th anniversary. And to head off the early replies of “just get all three”, I will be purchasing just one set.

After watching @BarberDave ’s SV series of videos and having tried an aftershave sample of SV Cosmo, I am now feeling the need for a SV soap and aftershave to add to my den. My wife and I both lIked the scent of the Cosmo sample I used, but the scent description of 70th and Dolomiti also sound great. Looks like 70th is also a favorite of many Cadre members, so now I am stuck between getting Cosmo, Dolomiti, or 70th anniversary. And to head off the early replies of “just get all three”, I will be purchasing just one set.
One shavedash.com you can get a sample of all three and then decide for yourself which one you like the most. You can get an idea of the scent and it won't break the bank for a full set which you are not sure you like/or not like

One shavedash.com you can get a sample of all three and then decide for yourself which one you like the most. You can get an idea of the scent and it won't break the bank for a full set which you are not sure you like/or not like
Thanks for the link. I was only looking at the SV site. Maggard was out of stock.

Back