The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sandalwood recommendations

John Paul

Jr. Shave Member
I’ve been using Taylor sandalwood since I started watching him in about 20 years ago, and recently tried Proraso red sandalwood, and like it even better 5han Taylor’s. Can someone recommend a good sandalwood cologne? Not wild about Taylor’s it smells very synthetic. Thank you!

Next I would say to try AOS Sandalwood products…one of the best takes on sandalwood IMO.

One of our artisans/vendors Frank @Dragonsbeard makes a genuine sandalwood shave combo and also has a fragrance. Its price is reflective of the fact that he uses the real deal…and Frank has a great quality line in general.

A lot depends on how much you’re willing to spend when it comes to frags and how much exploration you want to do…sandalwood is a key component of many colognes. Creed’s Original Santal comes to mind. TOBS has a very fresh, classic take on sandalwood, though I much prefer Proraso and AOS. Diptyque Tam Dao. The list goes on!

I’ve been using Taylor sandalwood since I started watching him in about 20 years ago, and recently tried Proraso red sandalwood, and like it even better 5han Taylor’s. Can someone recommend a good sandalwood cologne? Not wild about Taylor’s it smells very synthetic. Thank you!
Following

It's an aftershave, but Captains Choice Sandalwood is nice. It smells a lot like something related to wood, which is not what I get from TOBS. That is, I like TOBS sandalwood, but it doesn't smell much like sandalwood to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

HRH likes the TOBS sandalwood cologne, but i'm not a fan of it. The AOS that GearNoir mentioned is a nice one and strong - lasts all day. About $100 a bottle, so they are proud of it!

My favorite sandalwood shaving soap is Cyril Salter Indian sandalwood and to me the best cologne by far is the Trumpers at about $80. It's not as long lasting as the AOS (Art of Shaving), but it's really pleasant. i'd hoped the soap would be the same and it smells divine, but i defy anyone to lather it!

In a fit of decadence i once bought 5ml of sandalwood perfume from Le Labo, Santal 33. They are a spin-off of Estee Lauder and that stuff lasted for about 3 days by which time you are sick of it! i suspect shedding skin is the only way to change to something else.

T

I really like DR Harris’ version of sandalwood. It isn’t overly creamy, in fact I find it leans sort of spicy.

The (sadly no longer available) Art of Shaving tallow shave soap in Sandalwood is one of my favorites if not my favorite!

Back