The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

S&K Best

clyde72

Almond Milk Lattes are my POWER
Legacy
A friend of mine who is a member here, but isn't active, and I can't remember his screen name (Mad Mex??). Anyhow, he acquired these razors and wants me to hone/restore/repair them. I think they have been re-scaled. Whoever did, didn't do a real bang up job as I'll show in the pictures. I don't think the box is original. Pretty sure these were sold as hair shaper razors, just because of the guards. Anyone know anything about this razor and/or this Brand Name?

It look like the guard was made to fit different razors as it has clips on both side, but only one side will fit these razors.

As you can see in these pictures the wedge was not fitted properly, to the point that the toe of the blade hits the wedge and the edges are not even with the scales.

I have not seen that brand or style but those are most likely some form of “safety” straights. The guards may even be a separately purchased or after market item. I have a couple safety straights where the guard clips on the blade/tang and is flipped from side to side, those look like you would remove them and clip them on (but that doesn’t explain why they only fit one way). The guard doesn’t appear to extend far enough to do much, whether shaving or cutting hair.

The scales look original vintage but I can’t say if they are original. What I can say is I have a few razors with similar scales and they warp or shrink pretty easily. Perhaps the wedge can be filed while I place to avoid striking the blade. Maybe the pivot pin is bent, pushing the blade forward. Whatever the case those are cool razors.

edit:
I am guessing S&K Best is somehow related to Union Cutlery. Union Cultery also made or was part of Spike And Kabar

What is strange to me is I've searched for the Patent, Pat No V251902 on the guard and found nothing. Then I thought maybe it's a date you know PAT NOV 25, 1902. Again nothing has came up. It could be a British or some other country patent I guess. Then again maybe it stand for pattern no. and mean nothing to anyone but the company that made it.

Those are interesting. Never heard of them by I agree with Chris that the scales appear vintage. Possibly celluloid.

Back