The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rubberset 400

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
Okay guys I have found a rubberset 400 number 3 and 4 in an antique shop in VGC so what is a good price for them ? I don't normally ask about prices here but I want one of these brushes and I don't want to over pay....

If I could find one to restore myself that needed a new knot and cleaning / polishing I would go that way.. These 2 have original knot's that look almost unused.

Okay guys I have found a rubberset 400 number 3 and 4 in an antique shop in VGC so what is a good price for them ? I don't normally ask about prices here but I want one of these brushes and I don't want to over pay....
As far as I know it's absolutely acceptable to discuss prices in this context. It's not a BST, your shopping in the wild and need advice. I know KJ has discussed his limits for picking up razors at antique stores / flea markets. In fact, he might be a great person to weigh in... I'm getting of the opinion that he knows just about everything.

@Spider ... Can you help?

When you find stuff in the Wild, it’s really just if you want it bad enough and are willing to pay what they are asking. And you can always ask if they can go lower (or ask for a military discount).

I bought mine back in the day for $20. With today’s market on them, I might go double that if I wanted it. But then again, if they are pristine and look unused, maybe more?

Nobody can really say, what the value of an item is, because it’s all up to if it’s worth it for you.

If I'm ever trying to figure out what something is going for I do a search on the bay for recently ended listings for it and see how those look. Not perfect but it can give you a baseline.

If I'm ever trying to figure out what something is going for I do a search on the bay for recently ended listings for it and see how those look. Not perfect but it can give you a baseline.
Absolutely. Anytime I’m shopping for anything at an antique store, and I’m unsure if it’s a good deal, I will search eBay to see if I could get it cheaper than what they are asking.

And @TobyC aint lying, they get big bucks on eBay ...they also go really cheap. I got mine polished and ready for a new knot under $40 (I don’t recall the actual price I just know it was under $40 and nowhere near the $80+ the others listed at that time were going for).
The bigger thing to keep in mind when considering price of the rubberset or any other vintage is how easy or hard it is to restore. The rubberset is surprisingly easy to restore to what looks like pristine condition, if you put in the work. No lying, it takes some work, but under that rough patina is something worth working for. You’ll never find a high loft boar knot to go in it (if you do buy 2 I want one)

And @TobyC aint lying, they get big bucks on eBay ...they also go really cheap. I got mine polished and ready for a new knot under $40 (I don’t recall the actual price I just know it was under $40 and nowhere near the $80+ the others listed at that time were going for).
The bigger thing to keep in mind when considering price of the rubberset or any other vintage is how easy or hard it is to restore. The rubberset is surprisingly easy to restore to what looks like pristine condition, if you put in the work. No lying, it takes some work, but under that rough patina is something worth working for. You’ll never find a high loft boar knot to go in it (if you do buy 2 I want one)
Can you widen the hole on a rubberset (not Aluminum) to fit a bigger knot, or is that a recipe for disaster? Like this kind (literally the first image I pulled up on the internet).
bfa6d1b72e8cca4005aa7f21ae4e8b7a.jpg

Some Rubberset brushes have a brass or steel ring that you may need to remove to make the hole larger.

100_2230.JPG

100_2233.JPG

I just use whatever size fits, but you can go bigger if you want.

This one I did for my son, it's a nice brush. (Maggard 2 band, 26mm if I remember correctly)

100_2266.JPG

100_2327.JPG

I left the ring in on that one, but I sealed it in with E6000 by smearing it on with my finger and letting it set before installing the knot, I didn't want green funk to come creeping up the bristles one day.

Awesome. Well, if I can score a brush I found on the bay I might give it a try. My toolset is seriously lacking but I am envisioning a drill with a 25mm hole boring attachment?

Thanks @TobyC !
2f0fab268dc7314946a6937308553875.jpg

Awesome. Well, if I can score a brush I found on the bay I might give it a try. My toolset is seriously lacking but I am envisioning a drill with a 25mm hole boring attachment?

Thanks @TobyC !
Depending on how much larger you are looking to go a simple rig of sandpaper and dowels works well. Those boring attachments are never the right size and can easily catch and chip. If you can come from the inside like like the brush @TobyC showed you stand a better chance of using a drill tool. I prefer anything I can put on my lathe, because I am incredibly lazy

When you find stuff in the Wild, it’s really just if you want it bad enough and are willing to pay what they are asking. And you can always ask if they can go lower (or ask for a military discount).

I bought mine back in the day for $20. With today’s market on them, I might go double that if I wanted it. But then again, if they are pristine and look unused, maybe more?

Nobody can really say, what the value of an item is, because it’s all up to if it’s worth it for you.
They get muchos $$$ on ebay, like 60 or 80 bucks and up. I don't understand why exactly, they made millions of them.
As far as I know it's absolutely acceptable to discuss prices in this context. It's not a BST, your shopping in the wild and need advice. I know KJ has discussed his limits for picking up razors at antique stores / flea markets. In fact, he might be a great person to weigh in... I'm getting of the opinion that he knows just about everything.

@Spider ... Can you help?
Thanks guys I am gonna probably go Monday and see if they still have them.. I will post what happens..

i keep seeing a lot of dubl duck or Hess aluminum brushes going for extremely cheap but they all seem to have dents in them and i can find any info on removing the dents in them.. I know this is a different subject but has anyone ever sucessfully removed the dents in these?

Thanks @TobyC !
A Dremel with a little drum sander thing will quickly open them up, hold the brush in one hand and the Dremel in the other, just go round and round a few times and check it.
No need for heavy machinery! :D

Never bought any, just saw them.

I’ve bought at least 15 of them in the wild, between $5-40. Over $40-45 and you’ll be in the red if you’re doing a full restore(IMHO). Good luck sir!

Back