The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

RR Hawk v3

mrdoug

"TSC's Shave Sales Deal Finder"
Received an email from Razorock. They are releasing a limited number of v3 Stainless steel Hawks.

The email said due to the Covid pandemic, "The target price in the future will be in the range of $70-75 but for now, we are selling it at $59.99."

SE razors haven't been my cup of tea, but for those interested, I figured I should share.

EDIT: Apparently my email comes slower than others. All they have is a bamboo handle and an "A" version I super knurl... Or they haven't updated their site with stock?

Usually their initial releases have a few options, but limited batches are the way most of their remaining releases come out. It either means that the popular combos sold out almost immediately or this may not be an initial release.

Email alerts are not as good to keep track of their releases as is social media, like Twitter, where you’ll usually know release dates/times much more precisely.

Usually their initial releases have a few options, but limited batches are the way most of their remaining releases come out. It either means that the popular combos sold out almost immediately or this may not be an initial release.

Email alerts are not as good to keep track of their releases as is social media, like Twitter, where you’ll usually know release dates/times much more precisely.
Ahh. Makes sense. Judging from the email, this seems like an additional release, but I don't follow SE razors... So I'm not sure.

Well, I tried to keep people informed. Too bad in usually the last to know.

Sent from my Speak and Spell via Tapatalk

I received mine a little over a week ago after taking more than two weeks to get from Toronto to WA. this COVID thing is really making a mess with mail service. Anyway, I got the OC version only because I don't have an OC version of a Feather AC safety razor yet. It also comes in the regular solid bar and an aggressive solid bar. As @GearNoir mentioned, you need to keep checking back if you are wanting a certain type head with a certain type handle as they come and go in very small batches.

DSC03179.JPG

My first impression is that, although this looks like a sleek and streamline razor, it is massive and very heavy. It reminds me of the earlier batches of stainless steel Feather AC razors came out (like the Mongoose and ES Claymore), where they were essentially sledge hammers on a stick. This Hawk v.3 is not quite the extreme, however it is significantly heavier than the v.2, which was made of aluminum. The major difference between the v.2 and v.3, other than the material used, is that the blade guide pins are on opposite sides. The pins on the v.2 is on the cap, and the pins on the v.3 is on the base plate. I am wondering if this was done just so one could not buy the different v.3 base plates to use on v.2. The head itself seems almost out of date, comparing it to the newest other releases such as the Vector, and Enoch.

The shave felt just like you would imagine it to be from the pic. Lot of blade exposure translated into significant blade feel, and the OC only accentuated it more. In many cases, the weight of a heavy razor could be used to an advantage by letting the weight of the razor do the shaving and you only guide it, but in this case, it was not as easy to do. The shave went well and it was definitely a two pass plus touch up BBS, however it could have been more comfortable, such as with the King Cobra, Enoch, or Vector.

Thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on the V3 Hawk, but I think I’ll just keep saving my pennies for a Vector.

I have only used mine a handful of times so these are just my first impressions. This is the first SE with the Artist style blades that I have ever used. I have used a vintage GEM once and that thing tore me up pretty good. So I don't have nearly as much experience with an SE as I do with DE's or Straights.

The first thing I noticed upon arrival is fit and finish. While I think RR normally does a good job and is a very good value based on the other razors of theirs that I own. However, I was a little disappointed with this one. It's a minor issue and may not even bother other people but on the back side of the top cap (the narrow part opposite the blade edge) there is a good amount of Die Tear. It is not a terrible flaw and wouldn't take much to fix it. Once I get back to work I will likely just fix it myself, but most people don't have this option. Other than this one area the fit and finish are great.

The shaves were good and I am still testing out different blades, but the biggest thing I noticed was that for me the range in good cutting angle is much narrower than I am used to, it has a much smaller "sweet spot" than my DE's. Once I found the right angle it cuts well, but more thought and concentration were needed to keep it at the right angle and get a good shave.

I have only used mine a handful of times so these are just my first impressions. This is the first SE with the Artist style blades that I have ever used. I have used a vintage GEM once and that thing tore me up pretty good. So I don't have nearly as much experience with an SE as I do with DE's or Straights.

The first thing I noticed upon arrival is fit and finish. While I think RR normally does a good job and is a very good value based on the other razors of theirs that I own. However, I was a little disappointed with this one. It's a minor issue and may not even bother other people but on the back side of the top cap (the narrow part opposite the blade edge) there is a good amount of Die Tear. It is not a terrible flaw and wouldn't take much to fix it. Once I get back to work I will likely just fix it myself, but most people don't have this option. Other than this one area the fit and finish are great.

The shaves were good and I am still testing out different blades, but the biggest thing I noticed was that for me the range in good cutting angle is much narrower than I am used to, it has a much smaller "sweet spot" than my DE's. Once I found the right angle it cuts well, but more thought and concentration were needed to keep it at the right angle and get a good shave.
Nice thoughts and review. Glad you are able t take care of it.

Thanks for the review! I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on the V3 Hawk, but I think I’ll just keep saving my pennies for a Vector.
@DeepSea if you are interested I can send you mine to try out. Just let me know and send me your address and I can ship it to you if you would like.

1B282A8D-2548-4184-8455-FA1EF13EEC63.jpeg
Sorry about the delay in posting this. I really like my Hawk V3. I bought the SB model When they were first released with the bulldog handle chosen. I do a lot of AC razor shaving, and have come to prefer Feather Supers in the razor’s. This is an excellent shaver and is in my regular rotation with my two other ACrazors. Love the way it shaves.

Finally got to try out the Hawk V3-A after using a couple others razors for a few days, especially the Stirling prototypes. Anyways, loaded up a Schick Proline and went to work on 2 days worth of facial hair growth. I also changed out the handle that it came with, the Super Knurl and installed the 2 piece Halo handle. I love the Super Knurl but, I felt that the 2pc. Halo actually offered a bit more balance while still keeping a good feel and grip in the hands. My first impression is that it’s not an aggressive razor nor blade forward feeling. Not an intimidating shave by any stretch of the imagination. I will say that it is a smooth and yet efficient feeling shaver that produced a great shave. I still felt it towards the milder side but, it can cut and it cuts comfortably and decisively well. The Proline is about as smooth a blade that can be used in the AC realm. A good blade for trying out an unknown razor and just for one to get their footing and establish a base point on how a particular shaver feels. Then one can go from there with a different blade and search for the right combo that works. I’ll get a couple more shaves in with the Proline before making a switch and see if I can play with angles a bit to find some extra hidden efficiency or blade feel that can help in finding the optimum cutting angle.

No Wow factor or shocking revalation nor does it have to Illicit any of those emotions from one to determine if it’s a dealer or a klunker. I won’t say anything until I run through some shaves and some blades through it. Looks good, feels good and shaves good. We’ve set a base and I’ll go from there.

Happy shaves...

813DDC6D-05B9-4D98-AC22-73E092669A81.jpeg

After three months of finding myself not shaving with the garden rake as much as my other Feather AC razors, I finally cut my losses and sold it and immediately bought a new cap and regular base plate. Actually I bought the new head before selling the garden rake, but still ends up where I have just one Hawk v.3 razor and it is the regular base plate. I shaved with it the past two nights. The first night's shave seemed almost as rough as the OC version, however with some angle adjustment it did improve. The odd thing about this razor is that it is one of my few razors that shaves better going ATG instead of WTG. The shave experience was much improved over the original OC version, although this is not as smooth a shaver as the original aluminum Hawk (with a heavier handle).

DSC03347.JPG

Original as in the angled aluminum head?
Yeah, now I am really showing my age. Original as in the angled head which Mongoose issued a cease and desist order because it was too close to their design. I also shaved with a v.2 and even that one shaved smoother than the v.3. Just something about AC safety razors with the weight on the head and not the handle doesn't go together well.

Yeah, now I am really showing my age. Original as in the angled head which Mongoose issued a cease and desist order because it was too close to their design. I also shaved with a v.2 and even that one shaved smoother than the v.3. Just something about AC safety razors with the weight on the head and not the handle doesn't go together well.
Ah I always wondered why they changed the cap to the v2. A shame I never got along with the v1. Couldn’t get a BBS to save my life.

Back