The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rockwell T2 Stainless Steel

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Well - it looks like they finally did it - if I recall, the original intention for the T2 was to be a fully stainless steel razor - but the company experienced issues in the development for the first release (actually first 2 releases) of the T2 razor. But looks like in the next couple of days - the T2 adjustable will be available in all Stainless Steel.

Does this pique the interest of anyone? I love stainless steel and I love adjustables - all my modern adjustables are stainless steel - but none are butterfly/TTO.

Looks like the price will be $250.

1674957209004.png

1674957273971.gif

Last edited:
OK, now I’m a little annoyed at Rockwell……I am a firm believer in truth in advertising and their T2 Stainless Steel new razor is stretching the bounds of full disclosure.

Now when they first were developing the Model T, their goal was to build a stainless steel adjustable razor as a TTO. That didn’t happen and again for the T2, was a mixture of metals……fast forward to now and they released what they call a full stainless steel razor…..got a lot of YT coverage. If you read their website - the impression they provide is that it is a fully stainless steel model. Now those of you that know me, know that I am a stainless steel freak - and I own a significant number stainless steel adjustables that are on the market. Outside of a plastic washer or a number dial, for these razors that are marketed as stainless steel - they are just that.

Now the Rockwell T2 SS was released at a price similar to other stainless steel adjustable razors…..and again, read the description full stainless steel.

Well, it’s not. I do, from time to time, have other finishes put on my razors, and so the Rockwell was sent for finishing…..and the results are - that it is not a full stainless steel razor - there are brass and plastic parts.

1676482957102.jpeg

So, I’m am not here to diss the shave that it provides, nor trash the quality……other than to say, for the price being asked - and what is on the market - it is on the high end and is not what is advertised AND since it isn’t all stainless steel - you‘d be better off saving a ton of cash and buying the regular T2 which is a mix of metals as well.

Last edited:
I failed to read the fine print.....

*This internal assembly consists of a retaining ring, insert, press fit washer and a cap o-ring that grips the twist to open mechanism. Using a combination of brass and NBR50 increases structural support, prevents over-tightening and maintains tension within the assembly.​

**The threaded insert firmly holds the bottom screw that's located inside the twist to open mechanism. Brass threaded inserts are corrosion resistant and have efficient machinability.​

***The internal working of the T2 involves multiple moving parts and nitrile o-rings are considered the best for dynamic applications.​

I think the lesson here is that you have to pay attention to every part of the sales page. Thanks so much to @GlazedBoker for finding that - the information is not on the sales section per se - it is linked from the page to their blog and to the launch announcement. This could and should (given the history of the Model T) been part of their marketing and put on the sales front. Almost every razor I own has a table breakdown of the materials, blade gap/blade angle, dimensions etc.

This was one to learn on.…….I have to think about returning this, had this been upfront - I would not have purchased the razor.

I don't own any Rockwell Razors BUT the description of the T2-SS sounds like they have given it a lot of thought and have attempted to purposefully improve upon previous versions by replacing much of the old zinc with Stainless. True, the internal assembly could also be made using more stainless rather than brass but I don't know (I lack the knowledge to comment on) how that would impact the final design, longevity and function.

Price/cost is a very subjective feature but I agree that every attempt should be made to ensure product descriptions are accurate and complete so we can individually decide if the sales price is "worth it". I would certainly expect to pay more or less for a a razor based on what kind of metal it is made of, even if all other details were the same. Personally I typically prefer the extra weight of a steel razor vs aluminum or zinc, unless the zinc version of the T2 is very similarly weighted I don't think I would choose it over the heavier stainless steel option.

@Scuttlesoap, aside from the razor not being completely SS as you expected, do you get the impression it is well made/designed? Feels good in hand (is it appropriately "heavy") and would provide an enjoyable shaving experience? Based on the specs shown on the website the zinc version weighs 103grams and the stainless 106g...that seems SO very close to me, I don't know if I would feel the difference.

I don't own any Rockwell Razors BUT the description of the T2-SS sounds like they have given it a lot of thought and have attempted to purposefully improve upon previous versions by replacing much of the old zinc with Stainless. True, the internal assembly could also be made using more stainless rather than brass but I don't know (I lack the knowledge to comment on) how that would impact the final design, longevity and function.

Price/cost is a very subjective feature but I agree that every attempt should be made to ensure product descriptions are accurate and complete so we can individually decide if the sales price is "worth it". I would certainly expect to pay more or less for a a razor based on what kind of metal it is made of, even if all other details were the same. Personally I typically prefer the extra weight of a steel razor vs aluminum or zinc, unless the zinc version of the T2 is very similarly weighted I don't think I would choose it over the heavier stainless steel option.

@Scuttlesoap, aside from the razor not being completely SS as you expected, do you get the impression it is well made/designed? Feels good in hand (is it appropriately "heavy") and would provide an enjoyable shaving experience? Based on the specs shown on the website the zinc version weighs 103grams and the stainless 106g...that seems SO very close to me, I don't know if I would feel the difference.

From a build perspective and a shave performance perspective - no doubt this is a good razor and I would think that this would serve most who purchase it well. In inspecting the razor itself, there again- it is well built and It should last a very long time, though I fully doubt that as a daily shaver - this would be that lifetime shaver - the parts they chose to make plastic will probably fail.

However, I am a collector of fully stainless steel razors - I am not a snob - this is just what I have chosen to collect. I think there are many, many razors of different materials that are very fine, if not truly gems. They are just my style - I love the heft, the style, the color, and the durability.

And I know the full history of the development of what is know this T2 razor. Rockwell had set out, in its crowdfunding effort, to develop a fully stainless steel TTO razor. It didn’t work out and Rockwell did the right thing in giving people the option to get their money back or to continue with the Model T but with mixed metals. From a stainless collector standpoint (and I know most people don’t track this) - this was pretty well known - most did not hold a grudge - that’s the whole point of crowdsourcing and prototyping - sometimes it just doesn‘t work out - or you find out it just isn’t cost effective. The second version - which they dubbed the T2, was advertised up front as a continuation of the mixed metals, but with some improvements based on what they learned and from customer feedback.

Fast forward to now - Rockwell fully engaged in an advertising campaign to promote this as the Holy Grail - they had finally executed what they intended in the original Model T - a stainless steel razor. I like to give companies the benefit of the doubt - but I can say that the YT reviewers they selected are very popular - but not wont for making criticisms. But one thing was clear - they promoted this as a fully stainless steel razor. No YT mentioned the various parts that were not. On the sales portion for their website - there is a thrust to focus on the it being stainless steel. Ironically, they do state that there isn’t plastic (which isn’t true as well)…..and the links to the release ad and to the blog - which are not readily seen - are the only portions. Given that Rockwell fully knows the history and that a portion of their buyers are collectors - or at least enthusiasts - it from the surface seems like guilt by omission to me. They could have easily stated that most were stainless steel.

I myself wouldn’t have purchased it - had this been more upfront in the adverting. Now that I have read the blog - which again, while you can get there - it is promoted as though - ”Look, we’ve done it - a fully stainless TTO and see our blog to how we did it.” Instead it is more like - be wary of the fine print. As a collector - there is not enough difference at their previous model which is $100 less, which is significant.

From a pricing standpoint - I think my experience with this niche area - I can make some critical comparisons. If you look at my collection of stainless steel adjustables only - those range retail anywhere from $250- $800. While I believe sellers and creators can mark their price to whatever they desire and what may be valuable to me is not for another…..there are a couple of things that would command a higher price (which is true in any hobby or collection - not just shaving)…..(1) is it first to market in its field or does it offer a function that its competitors do not. In this case, yes. The Rockwell T2 SS is the only TTO on the market (or had it been fully stainless - it would have been both first and the only adjustable that is TTO), (2) what are the competitors prices? Are the comparable. Again, if you look at the stainless steel adjustable market - the price is on par. (3) Is the design complex. Yet again, this is made up of 20 parts, which if you compare it to the REX Ambassador, a complex razor in its own right - only has 10 parts), (4) Is it art. This is a gray area - but I would not believe there are many that are collecting it because of its “artisanship” - it’s industrial look is basic and the razor, consider its other Rockwell brethren, is utilItalian, meant for purpose. A good comparison is a BMW is considered functional - but your intention woul be to drive it everyday….whereas your Bentley, you would take it out on Sunday drives. and (5) is its manufacturing process one that also adds to its price. In this case, and in my opinion, should be the heaviest weighted. All its competitors (REX, HML, Rocnel, Denali,etc) are CNC machined. This significantly adds to the price. In addition, the competitors, even in their machines brushed finishes, do require an effort for the basic polish. Rockwell razors are injection molded, its parts are manufactured overseas (it is assembled in N. America) reducing its cost, and now that I see the significant amount of parts that are brass or plastic……the price on its front is high compared to the market and the fact that its other T2 razor is drastically less. Plus, the parts that were made brass and plastic - there was not need - it was purely a cost cutting measure and margin decision, these could have easily been made stainless and people would have still bought the razor at the adjusted higher price to accommodate.

Again, I’m a collector, not a Doctors Without Borders. This isn’t a tragedy in the grand scheme of the world. But in life, I believe in honesty and integrity and I do believe this is guilt by omission. If I were a baseball card collector and purchased what was advertised as a first run Babe Ruth in a glass case, and then found out I could have gotten the same card by buying a 10 pack of cards - and that one even comes with a gum stick, there is a level of disappointment.

Last edited:
@Scuttlesoap
Anyone knowing some of the things you fancy in this hobby can easily understand the disappointment held for you in this particular product acquisition.

I have a couple of TTO’s, one an older adjustable. I also have a 2 piece adjustable. Both shave fine, but I haven’t used them in I can’t remember how long. Maybe sometime.

This might be asking too much but, out of curiosity I would be interested in seeing you do a vid on this shave piece for the performance aspects of it. That way if I ever decide to bail on my edge forward shaving devices, I could have a much better understanding of options to consider against a Master Collection Rocnel Sailor which guys of my social status only dream about. 😎

@Scuttlesoap
Anyone knowing some of the things you fancy in this hobby can easily understand the disappointment held for you in this particular product acquisition.

I have a couple of TTO’s, one an older adjustable. I also have a 2 piece adjustable. Both shave fine, but I haven’t used them in I can’t remember how long. Maybe sometime.

This might be asking too much but, out of curiosity I would be interested in seeing you do a vid on this shave piece for the performance aspects of it. That way if I ever decide to bail on my edge forward shaving devices, I could have a much better understanding of options to consider against a Master Collection Rocnel Sailor which guys of my social status only dream about. 😎
You wish is my command. As soon as it gets back from the company that was going to revamp it - I’ll do a video my friend

Skipped a day and went back to setting #6 to start and finished off at #4.5 or thereabouts for a very satisfyingly close and comfortable 3 pass finish. It was close to a BBS but, I was pressed for time and a spot or two along the Adam’s Apple area could not be cleaned up as I would have wanted too. Nevertheless, the shave was excellent everywhere else with no irritation or weepers to speak of. The T2 S/S feels mild but, shaves extremely well with better than average efficiency in that not much is required in pick ups or touch ups if a methodical approach to a traditional 3 pass shave is employed. Weight and blade rigidity may be a factor in my experience so far. Still early and plenty of time to keep searching and experimenting.

Great shaves to all…

2A1FCD63-84D4-4FA3-9CFC-31AA5863D69C.jpeg

Aaahh, a new blade installed and it was slice & dice of the whiskers with a calmness yet definitive efficiency that was evident from the moment the razor made its first stroke and on. Love it when a fresh blade does what it is intended to do. BBS in 3 satisfyingly smooth passes without a single incident. Slight buff on the chin but, it was just to use up some lather as I had copious amounts from the Rockwell shave cream from a small dollop smaller than half an almond. The more I use this stuff, the better it rewards with excellent lubrication and protection. The T2 SS wasn’t to shabby either.

Great shaves to all…

6C921CFE-8130-4470-95A0-2D91D7C49FF7.jpeg

Nothing new to divulge and as the old saying goes “no news is good news” and boring or uneventful might be a good thing for some. A solid shave from 3 easy passes via the traditional method, WTG, XTG & ATG. The T2 SS handled 2 days of growth without a hiccup on both face & neck. Took my time this evening and employed some skin stretching to get a deeper and fuller shave result. A BBS finish just as Dr. Wetshave had ordered. A good bracing splash via Chanel with the fragrance as the cherry on top. Now I’ll pour meself a 3 finger measure or thereabouts of Knob Creek 12 Year and look at the stars for a bit.

Great shaves to all….

5F826101-0123-4D3C-9CA8-AC7694264894.jpeg

Crisp and cool Sunday morning with an excellent shave to start things off on the right foot. The usual 3 pass affair with the T2 & Bic combo leaves my skin free of whiskers including nics, cuts and weepers. Though, today I gave myself a slight bit of irritation along both jawlines as the alum pass proved. I got a little overzealous in picking up some pesky stragglers and sometimes when you go a little extra, you get extra. Cold water rinse and splash and that was gone in minutes. Nothing to do with the razor, just the moronic owner losing his shave mind for a minute. In the end a great shave. Eggs, Canadian Bacon, toast and coffee on the menu.

Great shaves to all…

A208A053-E865-4C9C-BA22-88624B3543F0.jpeg

Easy and uneventful shave this morning. The razor, soap, blade and brush all performed like they have in the previous shaves. The T2 hasn’t been an eye opener or has produced an “oh wow” moment but, it has performed at a steady and consistent action every time during this event. It works at the adjustments I’ve had it at without a single issue. It clears out stubble, it rinses easily and it operates as good as any well made adjustable that I have used to date. The tto mechanism may take a few more turns to open & close fully but, that doesn’t detract from the robust build quality it has. Industrial and workmanlike look that just works and works well indeed.

Great shaves to all…

43051DE3-03E5-4E2E-ABD8-4FFE648EF318.jpeg

Just a real good shave today. No irritation, no nics or weepers anywhere. Great suds, smooth & sharp blade and a solid razor that doesn’t sound off any bells, whistles or alarms. It merely delivers good solid shaves. It’s all a man needs.

Great shaves to all…

7E57EF44-7CBC-4EBB-962A-8CC1DF3BE3A5.jpeg

Brand new Bic blade and off to the races as they say. 3 very smooth passes that removed a little over 24 hours worth of whisker growth. Started as setting #6 and finished it with the T2 at about #4.5 or thereabouts. I don’t have one thing bad to say about this razor. Personally, I would have preferred that the razor have a bit more blade feel and would have offered a bit more blade reveal with the slightest in positive blade exposure to give it some extra ooomph. But, it works as it stands and it will work for a good number of wet shavers out there looking for a quality TTO that so far for me has the craftsmanship to back it up.

Great shaves to all….

0B6CA2B3-EE12-4236-B932-7384355DBA15.jpeg

Back