The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rockwell Model T...anyone?

Second Model T shave today (my replacement for the flawed first one). I am usually an every other day shaver, but I decided to shave again this morning.

Lathered up with Valobra, had a nice 3-pass BBS shave. Still quite a bit of blade feel above 3.5. I lowered it to 2 and the blade was barely making contact with my skin. I did crank it up to 6 for touch ups that were very effective and did not get one nick.

Good for now...

That’s great! I’m glad you were able to get your replacement in as well.

Keep us updated on thoughts!

I honestly didn't know they had shipped. I stopped following it and asked for a refund long ago. Glad to see people are finally getting the razor!

Well ... I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting. An Ultra Early Bird pledge, number 179 of 4,024 backers, so I thought I would be one of the early recipients. Ha! But, that's okay with all the problems they have had. Maybe when I get it, if I get it, it will be flawless! I'm in no hurry. I don't need a new razor since I've got enough razors to shave everyday for a year and use only a couple more than twice. I'm happy with my Rockwell 6S. I may or may not keep the Model T but I expect it will be the last Rockwell I get.

Well ... I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting. An Ultra Early Bird pledge, number 179 of 4,024 backers, so I thought I would be one of the early recipients. Ha! But, that's okay with all the problems they have had. Maybe when I get it, if I get it, it will be flawless! I'm in no hurry. I don't need a new razor since I've got enough razors to shave everyday for a year and use only a couple more than twice. I'm happy with my Rockwell 6S. I may or may not keep the Model T but I expect it will be the last Rockwell I get.

Yikes! That is quite disappointing.

Still waiting for mine!! Ordered it back in October 2016. Gunmetal finish. Got an update yesterday should be shipping mid to end of April! Turning "GRAY" waiting for this razor literally...😂😂!!

As a side note, when you put an automated search into Ebay, all you get is notifications of paintings of cars by Norman Rockwell.

Well, it finally showed up. The Model T by Rockwell Razors.

F087D244-E366-4762-9713-543671EE96AF.jpeg

B12FA92D-E558-40AF-AB63-AB04678A184B.jpeg

A79CD78E-CB2D-4CDE-A824-E07BD7C6CB32.jpeg

1B593069-56B3-47F0-AF24-2696EB7A5C98.jpeg

751C3244-73DD-4A43-B62D-3AE6D5F5FAD1.jpeg

Quite substantial feel to the razor that actually has a nice balance to it. The TTO mechanism works smoothly with very little play or slop. Looking forward to putting in a few good shaves with this in the next week or 2 alongside the Vikings Blade Augustus Adjustable razor. Review to follow.....

I think it looks great! I like both TTO and adjustable razors. I am biding my time for a good number of reviews before I spend my pennies on the Model T.

It was far too aggressive for me, even on the low settings. I tried it a couple times, then passes it on to TJ.

Looking forward to putting in a few good shaves with this in the next week or 2 alongside the Vikings Blade Augustus Adjustable razor. Review to follow....

That actually looks pretty good, Gus! I backed out last summer and went with the Karve instead. No regrets, however now I'm kinda wanting one again.

In the past week, I have had all of my AD's arise to torment me sorely. Was doing pretty good for about 2 months, but now......

This is a write up I had on another shave forum concerning Rockwell and its Model T razor that I wrote up today. I made no modifications or any editing as it was geared more to that particular thread. Anyways, first impressions below....

Well, I put in the first shave with the Model T yesterday and I was actually pleasantly surprised. Before I get to the inital shave report, I want to touch up real quick on the razor itself concerning the quality, fitment and finish.

Out of the box, as my previous post with the pics show, the presentation and packaging was flawless. No marks, streaks, loose parts or components on the razor itself. The mechanism for both the tto doors and the dial adjustment knob worked as they both should. That being said, there have been complaints across the shave forums including the KS & Indiegogo Campaign pages of inconsistent packaging and quality issues with the razor itself. Stains, marks, improper blade tray alignment etc, etc. There is a shave member here also, whom I will not mention for respect of his privacy had an issue with how his razor was received in an unusable condition. How this continues to happen with a company that has failed miserably in sticking to its scheduled production and delivery dates is completely unacceptable. We know that delays can happen during manufacturing processes which includes R&D, prototyping, pre-runs and what have you. Even more so with an upstart company that used crowd funding to get their project started. I get it but, to make promises and guarantees and time after time miss those dates and feed your backers/customers cow chips and baloney is down right embarrassing. You would think with all the setbacks and failed attempts for delivery timelines that Rockwell would tighten up their belts and commit to getting their product out the door with the utmost of care and quality control. Obviously that is not happening as product is falling through the cracks at a pretty substantial rate. Listen, the last thing I want is a razor manufacturer to fail and fold while the wet shaving world is in a type of renaissance with traditional old time shaving hardware and software. More manufacturers in the game, the better for us the consumer. Brings better products, higher quality which breeds competition for yours and my hard earned dollar from these producers of these said products. It brings better pricing overall as they fight and earn (try to at least) our business. This could be potentially devastating for Rockwell as they might survive but, will they earn the consumers trust after this debacle? I don't know, I just don't. Only time will tell.....

Anyways, that's the end of my consumer editorial for the month. On to the shave......

Unfortunately, this is where the negativity ends in my opinion. How was the shave? Absolutely fantastic. Not a single issue with the Rockwell Model T. Yes, it's only shave one but, honestly I was waiting for the tray to come loose or the tto doors to fall or something that I could harp on. Never happened. The doors opened and closed smoothly over the blade. The blade tray was precise in holding the blade with very little movement and blade alignment and exposure were nearly perfect. The adjustment dial did what it was supposed to do. Open or close the gap to your preference without fear of moving it during ones shave. I started on 2 and finished on 3 for a very satisfying 2 pass DFS. The shave was smooth and efficient with an effortless glide from the razor that was amazing. I only had 24 hours of growth but, the razor and blade went through my stubble effortlessly. I haven't shaved with the Rockwell 6s in ages but, from what I can remember the Model T feels more efficient and yet smoother. I might have to pull out the 6s soon just for comparative purposes just to be sure and compare. I know that on the 6s the plates from R1-R3 were way to mild for me. 2 & 3 on the Model T however felt really nice.

On a side note, I just finished a weeks worth of shaves with the VB Emperor Augustus and I can tell you with clear certainty that the Model T performed much better in its first go around vs the VB Emperor. I'm going to put in a solid weeks worth of shaves and see where the Model T takes me but, if the start was this good on the lower size ranges I can't wait to bump up the aggression and see what it can deliver. More to follow.....

G77dqwT.jpg

Got an excellent 2nd shave with the Model T. Went for the max setting @6 and it was on. Fantastically good. Excellent blade feel and very nice smoothness on the first pass. Think R7 or R8 on a 6s if it were available but, almost as smooth as the R6 plate. Very, very nice. One thing though that I did notice on my shave is at the max setting, it feels as if the blade can deflect/skip as the blade is not fully supported and held as rigid. It didn’t happen but, I felt as though it potentially could. I mention it because my hair is not particularly coarse or thick and I just adjusted my speed and pace but, for those that do have denser growth or coarser hairs it could be something to look out for. Nonetheless, it was a fantastic shave with one tiny weeper at the corner of my mouth. Cold water rinse and alum, easy enough. The Gillette Spoiler blade paired perfectly with the Model T. Just a great shave......

0318037D-C150-4E1A-B840-C314E6BBA5CA.jpeg

BF9394EB-387E-43DF-AD93-C035359190B2.jpeg

8449C484-2919-4F42-83FB-AB0EFD556BAF.jpeg

D837DD9D-96A6-45D4-AEED-C60FAC0EE5BA.jpeg

C0B2AD50-0229-4F9F-933B-031966886662.jpeg

Nice Gus. I have some Spoilers that I should try if I can remember when it's time for another blade......My father in law always liked them but he's not a reviewer I go by normally ;)

I’m guessing that I’ve used this Model T a dozen times so far.

Today, loaded with a fresh PermaSharp and went to work on 3 days growth. It was a great shave, but not without a few concerns.

Started on 4 for the initial WTG pass. Plowed it right down. Decided to move it up to 5...here’s where it went weird....

XTG pass was nice, but I felt quite a bit of blade...not comfortable. So I dialed it to a 4.5. It went weirder...

Now my passes were comfortable, but uneven. One side had a different aggression than the other. The settings did not feel equal.

All in all a nice BBS shave but I’m having a tough time with these annoying inconsistencies.

And now one of the doors is lazy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back