The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rock and roll hall of fame

gobucks5485

Shave Member
Who is with me that DMB go screwed big time today?
I voted every day had the most votes and NOT IN!! I am sure they will get in later!! But the vote was just a social thing. 1st and 2nd place (Pat Benatar) both did not make it?

Meh.

But I'm super happy that Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode made it!

2020 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
(Those in Bold are the Inductees)

• Pat Benatar
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Judas Priest
  • Kraftwerk
  • MC5
  • Motörhead
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Soundgarden
  • T.Rex
  • Thin Lizzy

Who is with me that DMB go screwed big time today?
I voted every day had the most votes and NOT IN!! I am sure they will get in later!! But the vote was just a social thing. 1st and 2nd place (Pat Benatar) both did not make it?
Well the fact that they were the only ones listed that I've actively listened to probably sealed their fate.

Haven’t kept up with the Hall in ages.

Thanks @Spider from saving me needing to search who the nominees were.

There’s some interesting names on there (i.e. - that don’t even belong IMO) and some long time rockers that should have made it long ago. In the end I think it’s just become another skewed, cliquey, let’s pat ourselves on the back, award system like the movie industry has.

The Hall of Fame doesn't do much for me - it doesn't really mean much from a musical standpoint if you ask me. For instance, Whitney Houston was massively talented and commercially successful, but I don't call her body of work "rock and roll" by any stretch of the imagination.

Tangentially, I heard an interesting story on the radio about the lack of women in the Hall of Fame:

Tangentially, I heard an interesting story on the radio about the lack of women in the Hall of Fame
You mean a symbol for a genre of music that reveled in male sex symbolism, debauchery, and heavy sexualization/objectification of women has a skewed achievement recognition ethic? You don’t say! :unsure:

Don’t get me wrong, I love rock, but sometimes I actually reflect on the words and it hits me that it’s nearly as bad as some modern rap, though perhaps thinly veiled with metaphors...especially one of my favorite eras - 70s/80s.

Sorry where were we?
C2B3EA27-3B0D-41CE-AADF-8DFB83647A21.gif

The Rock and Roll HOF has always been a joke. i mean just look at the fact that TRex is being inducted but Motörhead, Priest, and Thin Lizzy still haven’t been inducted.

I’ll say that again....TRex, but not Motörhead. Not Judas Priest. Not Thin Lizzy....but TRex....really?!?

I also agree with @bobmsp’s thoughts about some of the inductees and nominees not being rock and roll. Whitney Houston was insanely talented, but she wasn’t rock and roll. Same goes for BB King, The Temptations, and Grandmaster Flash among others.

I will admit that I do try to catch the performances of the inductees that I like, rock or not.

Just my 2 cents 😁

The Doobie Brothers? For God’s sake. They have been filler music on the radio until a good band/song comes on for 40 years. Like Bob Seger. Besides, I could not suspend my disbelief enough to buy that Rerun would try to bootleg them on What’s Happening.
Personally, I think the Doobies were about Rerun’s speed. Now Dee seems more like a King Crimson kind of girl to me.

I think after a while it's like an employee of the month award at your work place........everyone eventually gets one. At one place I worked, I had to put out 3 fires an arsonist started before receiving my employee of the month award and I had to share it with another guy who helped :LOL:

I am still disappointed that Grand Funk Railroad wasn't even nominated. Pat Benatar? She gets nominated? I saw her once. She opened, followed by Eddie Money, then Journey.
Eddie Money put on the best show.

But seriously: no Grand Funk? Yeah, the Hall of Fame is stoopid.

Kinda like letting Alan Trammel in without Lou Whittaker, lol!

I get you (really not ha ha) but my wife hates him WTF I say ha ha.

I found this very funny.

My wife is a huge fan of Dave Matthews, and always has been. I’m not. Every summer he holds a series of concerts at the Gorge (near Seattle, where he and I both live). A couple of years ago, my wife posted a request on Facebook for a companion to join her to go to a DMB concert at the Gorge (several hours away), knowing I wouldn’t want to go. I’ve never felt like such a heel as a husband. When I got home from work the day of the post, I volunteered to be her companion. With tears in her eyes, she thanked me. I rented a hotel room in Ellensburg so we wouldn’t have to drive all night, and had a nice weekend. Though the concert was not my favorite part.

P.S. Dave Matthews is a great person, and a huge supporter of the non-profit music radio station where I work. When asked once by the local media why he supports KEXP, given that we don’t play his music, he responded to the effect: “Why would I want them to play my music? I can hear my music anytime.”

Back