The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rhodes Kriss Kross Safety Razor

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
I picked this little thing up off eBay a couple weeks ago. It wasn’t in bad shape but was covered in tea stain rust. I spent more time than I’d like to admit cleaning it up then tossed a cut GEM blade in and shaved with it. It was unique to say the least, part standard SE safety razors and part safety shavette. Had I followed my gut and gone with my first test blade, an injector blade, I would have avoided bloodshed and pain. The GEM blade can be cut to fill the slot better but the corners stick out just enough to inflict major carnage and, with the corners exposed and an otherwise improper fit the blade easily wiggled loose and my face paid the price. I did give the razor another go with an injector blade and all was good. (*it may not make sense without good pictures, the original Rhodes blades are about the size of two injector blades with a half moon tab on top. By using but an old injector blade above the new one to fill the gap, you can Slip the fresh injector blade in and get a perfect placement with no thought at all.

bonus...my first empty tub.
93EB754C-9BDA-4512-981A-6D07A10F9487.jpeg

Looks like a blade in a clamp
It is a clamp style hold rather than a slide in from the side. Unlike the GEM’s this one doesn’t have anything at the edges/corners of the comb that hold the blade or where the blade would rest. It’s like this blade should get pushed all the way back against rests in the back when the GEM’s are designed to have blades slide forward until that catch on rests in the front. Kind of odd that they would design A stropper with clockwork precision then make a razor that puts your fingers at risk when loading and unloading, I must be missing something.

Back