The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Victory Shaving Company Champaign Lady

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
Sometime last year, Dave (Xenostr8shaver), found a new artisan soap maker out of Cheyenne, Wyoming called Victory Shaving Company. It’s a veteran owned operation, and they’re all about celebrating military nostalgia from yesteryear and the Greatest Generation. With that being said, their containers and labels feature pin-up art and overall motifs from World War II. Containers are 4oz. screw-top tins, the same as Wet Shaving Products. Labels are waterproof on top and bottom, with no side labeling.

This is a vegan soap, which normally wouldn’t be an issue. However, for those that are extremely interested in soap ingredients, they will be nervous about how high in the ingredient list olive oil is. Normally, this is a lather killer, and soaps with this as one of the ingredients have a hard time lathering. Fortunately, there are no worries here. This soap lathers up wonderfully. In case you were wondering, here is the ingredient list:

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (Soy Wax), Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Kaolin Clay, Bentonite Clay

So Champaign Lady is a scent that is very simple in its composition, only being made up of Lemon, Lavender, and Menthol. For me, this creates a very nostalgic scent; one that harkens back to my childhood going to the local county fair. I would go and get a pink lemonade at the Dell’s Fresh Squeezed Lemonade stand and watch as they juiced lemons right in front of me, and added some pink colored sugar to the lemon juice and water to create what is to this day, the best lemonade I’ve ever had. That’s what this reminds me of…definitely a great memory. Strength of scent off of the puck is about a 2/5 and it doesn’t really grow all that much once lathered. I kind of wish this were a bit stronger, but I’m honestly not sure that it wouldn’t become cloying or unpleasant if it were.

Since this is a harder soap, almost triple milled hard, today, I loaded for anywhere between 30-45 seconds and had enough soap for about 2 shaves. Because the tin is filled to the brim, if you load out of it, you will get proto-lather everywhere. The water band on this soap is mid-range. It can take some water, but you can tell that if given too much, break down will occur very quickly. The lather has a cool-whip consistency, (original cool-whip, not the extra-creamy variety that everyone buys now a days), and provides pretty good cushion. Slickness is where this soap shines, however, almost maxing out the score there. Post shave feel and residual slickness are decent, but not phenomenal, and you shouldn’t have to worry about the soap breaking down unless you bring it too far with hydration.

Here are the scores (as always, strength of scent and preference aren’t included since they’re so subjective):

Lathering: 8.5/10
Cushion: 9/10
Slickness: 9.5/10
Moisturizing: 8.5/10
Residual Slickness: 8/10
Stability: 5/5

Total: 48.5/55

Comparable soap bases from a performance standpoint:

Wholly Kaw (regular tallow) (49/55)
Oleo Soapworks (48.5/55)
Stirling Soaps (48/55)
Long Rifle Soaps (48/55)
Saponificio Varesino beta 4.2 (47/55)
Chiseled Face Groomatorium (47/55)

Conclusion: This is a fun soap, from a scent perspective, and for me, extremely nostalgic. This is why it’s listed in my top 15 soap scents. It’s marginally better than Stirling, but that’s on aggregate. The in shave slickness is great, but not quite elite level, while everything else I would say is average. The packaging is nice for what it is, harkening back to military lore. The art designs on the labels are particularly striking, and fun. (This soap in particular has Morse code around the outside. No, I don’t know what it says) At $13 for a tin of soap, you’re paying $3.25 an oz for a hard soap that will presumably last quite a while. That’s a great value, as I can see one of these tins giving up anywhere from 90-130 shaves very easily. Shipping was pretty fast as well, so the vendor definitely takes care of his customers. The soap is worth a look, and if you have the means, pick up a puck or more, I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy what you get out of it.

https://youtu.be/1oyhh1r-5o8

Thanks for the review Josh! I am definitely going to pull out my tin of Pilot...that is if I can ever get in front of my back-log of soaps and creams to try!

No problem Don, I think you'll be at least happy with the performance. It's not the best soap out there, but it definitely punches above its value weight, especially for an olive oil based soap.

When Victory Shave Company gives you lemons...make lather out of it!

Sounds like a fun scent. I do love their packaging also...very early/mid 20th century!

When Victory Shave Company gives you lemons...make lather out of it!

Sounds like a fun scent. I do love their packaging also...very early/mid 20th century!

The Morse appears to just be “VSCVSC”.

I happen to enjoy Victory Shave Soap, the champagne lady is perhaps my favorite but only because it is lightly mentholated. Had Xenostr8shaver not given the recommendation a year ago I would have passed on this one based on the ingredients alone...goes to show you soap theory and soap practice are not the same, he made a good soap that is unlike the rest of the crowd.

By the way, the morse code says VSC VSC. Could have been a bit more creative with that.

Victory Shaving is a perfect example of a artisan that has mastered the Olive Oil lather issue. Usually people aviod soaps with OO just as a precaution, but some have worked around this problem quite well (CRSW Olivia, Gingers Garden, etc.).

Agree that the Victory soap base is not elite status, but their scents are nice, cool tins are packed to the brim, and for a affordable price.

Back