The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: The Club: Club N' Roses

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
Yay for new soaps! At this rate, the rest of my soaps will feel neglected as I'm constantly in a state of trying new soaps and scents. In any case, bigger and better things await, and today it was The Club: Club N’ Roses turn to shine. I had very little worry that this soap would not perform, as this is the same soap base as Ariana & Evans goat milk formula. Why is it labeled as a “The Club” soap vs. an A&E soap? Because originally, the soap was not released under the A&E label. So it’s kept the “The Club” labeling. Not that it matters. This stuff just flat out performs at a very high level for me. Packaging on the soap is very nice, though I would have preferred to have seen a side label on the tub. The top label is a great riff off of the GnR logo, and is almost a must have for fans of the band. It kind of makes you want to queue up some Appetite for Destruction during the shave in homage. Scent wise, off of the tub, I get a very strong and dark rose vibe, the darkness coming from the agarwood support, with hints of jasmine tobacco and vetiver just barely peeking through. Strength of scent out of the tub is an easy 3-3.5/5.

The notes, as listed are: Bergamot, Jasmine, Black Rose, Tobacco, Agarwood, Bourbon Whiskey, Hatian Vetiver

With this being the same formula as the previous reviews of L’Orange Noir and Grecian Horse, I’ll spare you the accolades and superlatives. This is good soap…some of the best. The recipe, in case you were wondering again…

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Tallow, Goats Milk, Shea Butter, Potassium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Mango Butter, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Lanolin, Bentonite Clay, Sodium Lactate, Beeswax, Fragrance & EO's

Quick loading, and with a little work just beautiful lather that has phenomenal properties, for me. The scent, however, really evolves from what you get off of the tub into a very nice floral Oud scent. The tobacco, whiskey and vetiver notes really provide a nice smokey base of support to the primary notes of black rose and agarwood, while the bergamot and jasmine really round out the top notes of the rose and give it a little needed brightness. All in all…I love oud scents and love rose scents. The combination of the two just seems like a natural combination.

Here are the scores for this soap base (as always, scent preference and strength of scent are not included as they are too subjective)

Lathering: 10/10
Cushion: 10/10
Slickness: 9.5/10
Moisturizing: 10/10
Residual Slickness: 9.5/10
Stability: 5/5

Total: 54/55

Comparable soap bases from a performance standpoint:

Declaration Grooming Project Icarus (55/55)
Declaration Grooming Bison Tallow (54.5/55)
Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk (52/55)
WSP Formula T (51/55)
Eufros (51/55)

Conclusion: There’s not too much more to say about this soap base that I haven’t gone over in my previous reviews of A&E’s goat milk soap base. It’s just flat out great shaving soap. The scent on Club N’ Roses is a well done blend of the floral side of the house in rose and jasmine, while the darker tones of agarwood and tobacco really give it depth that is rarely found in most rose scented fragrances today. The bergamot on the top provides the right amount of citrus bite without overwhelming the rose while the vetiver neatly balances out the bottom with some smokey notes to keep the oud from getting overly cloying, especially in hot weather. All in all, another very nice offering from The Club / A&E, filling a niche of my fragrance collection I didn’t know I needed.

https://youtu.be/X9ic4sA8kEA

Packaging on the soap is very nice, though I would have preferred to have seen a side label on the tub. The top label is a great riff off of the GnR logo, and is almost a must have for fans of the band. It kind of makes you want to queue up some Appetite for Destruction during the shave in homage.

Josh, I've seen the way you shave...and maybe the soundtrack should be "Patience."
1f60e.png

Seriously though...you either have a steady stream of boxes that takes 2 - 3 weeks to get to you in your land far, far away...or you have ginormous boxes that come your way. Boy, that land has changed since I was last there in 2005.

Again great review. You are killing me though...I like the vast majority of rose scents, but all of them to date have given me at best a mild tingle on the face. I have only found one other soap that does this to me (Bain Amour - Deadly Weapon)...all other soaps are a go! It's just rose scented soaps for some reason. Que my frustration...that scent profile you described sounds awesome!

At any rate...I need to get me some A&E or The Club or whatever this wonderful stuff is called. Excellent review!

Josh, I've seen the way you shave...and maybe the soundtrack should be "Patience."
1f60e.png

Seriously though...you either have a steady stream of boxes that takes 2 - 3 weeks to get to you in your land far, far away...or you have ginormous boxes that come your way. Boy, that land has changed since I was last there in 2005.

Again great review. You are killing me though...I like the vast majority of rose scents, but all of them to date have given me at best a mild tingle on the face. I have only found one other soap that does this to me (Bain Amour - Deadly Weapon)...all other soaps are a go! It's just rose scented soaps for some reason. Que my frustration...that scent profile you described sounds awesome!

At any rate...I need to get me some A&E or The Club or whatever this wonderful stuff is called. Excellent review!

LOL...thanks Don. I normally have a few boxes in route to my destination at any given time...though that may trail off here shortly as other priorities are coming up.

Sorry to hear you suffer the same malady as Dave...hence why I refer to rose EO or FO's as DavesBane. There are plenty of other soaps in the A&E/The Club locker though that do not have that rose as a note, so go forth and purchase!

Video of the shave inbound...

Back