The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Shaving Yeti's Mamacita on the Rocks

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
After nearly 2 years 3017ing some P.160 and then about a week with a Mystic Water sample, Shaving Yeti's Mamacita on the Rocks represents my first run with a new soap in what seemed like forever. A long, loving forever, but still "forever" nonetheless. :ROFLMAO:

It's a glycerin melt'n'pour base with a scent that really does smell like a margarita and you can see from the photo below that it contains Triple Sec and Tequila (more on that later). Don't worry about the quantity in the container as I filled my shave stick container with the soap prior to starting to use the remnants of the puck.

SCENT: The scent is great! The quick punch'o'lime to the face upon opening and while loading the brush quickly fades into a comfortable and not overpowering scent while face lathering, with just enough menthol to provide a cooling but not freezing effect. A very nice job done on this aspect IMO.

LATHER: Being a big fan of Mama Bear soaps, I have no issue with glycerin soaps and do not subscribe to the "Tallow is best" mantra. To me, a good soap is a good soap, however it was made. As expected, a quick and easy loading on a semi-dry brush (so far, I have used a horse and a boar) results in a nice and thick paste which then explodes into lather on the face. It's hard to add too much water when face lathering, as you get to know the limit of what your lather can hold fairly quickly. The nice and slick creamy goodness provided wonderful glide, but near the end of pass-1 it was easy to notice that the base of my neck was starting to dry out; it wasn't flaky soap yet, but visibly starting to dry out and thicken up.

Pass-2 was a surprise, as what was a full brush'o'lather after applying pass-1 was now strangely appearing to be MIA. A thin coating is all that I could apply and adding some water to the brush didn't help to rehydrate it very much at all. Hmmm. :unsure: I held off on writing my review until I used my boar for a few shaves to see if it was an issue with the wonderful @Graydog horse that I have, but it was the same with my boar. Not good at all. Even switching from puck-loading to over-applying to my face with the shave stick I made had the same results for the 1st and 2nd passes.

SUMMARY: The scent on this soap is great; it has an excellent combination of a resort margarita and just the right amount of menthol to make it truly enjoyable. Alas, coming back to my opening comment about the Triple Sec and Tequila being in the mix, I have to think that there is something from those ingredients that is affecting the lather's stability and has drastically shortened its half-life. This makes the soap usable for a quick single-pass shave but it's simply too frustrating to see a full brush-load of lather evaporate/collapse/disappear between passes.

VERDICT: Pass on this one.

Last edited:
Look everyone! Sam used a different Soap!

Thanks for the review. It's to bad that the soap smells so good but really lacks in the performance department.

I have yeti snot and while the menthol is off the charts amazing, the lather isn’t that great. I think in general Shaving Yeti soaps are mediocre at best. They seem more novelty than actually good soaps.

Somewhat comforting to know that I am not mistaken in my assessment. Thanks (y)

I will try bowl lathering tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.
If the results are the same, then the answer to my issues is VERY straightforward: reload for pass #2.

I have yeti snot and while the menthol is off the charts amazing, the lather isn’t that great. I think in general Shaving Yeti soaps are mediocre at best. They seem more novelty than actually good soaps.
I could never...ever..get a good lather from the Yeti Snot. As kj said the menthol is powerful and the toxic green has a cool factor but it suck as a soap.

Same issue when bowl lathering this morning; couldn't get a stable lather that lasted through the shave. Re-loading it is!
.... As an added bonus, that means that it should finish faster 🤪

Sorry to hear about the bad luck the first time out with a new soap in *2 years*, Sam. I'm surprised that the lather was so poor, particularly since there plenty of good glycerin soap bases commercially available, that the purveyors who do/did it best (QED, Mama Bear) delivered on both scent and performance.

I’ve never tried Yeti soaps but my experience with a few other Glycerin melt-n-pour type soaps has been similar to yours. I used Taconic and had similar results (and the lather seemed to dry my skin too) but when I took the puck to the shower and face lathered in the shower the lather was seemingly wonderful and abundant. I loved the scent so I enjoyed it in the shower rather than tossing it.

It's experiences like what you describe that feed the "melt-n-pour" soaps are inferior narrative. I've never used Mamma Bears but I hear mostly positive things about their soap, particularly the shave stick version.

I have now transplanted the remainder of the puck and most of the shave stick I made (kept about 3/4" in case I travel anywhere) into another container and zapped them a few times with 8-second bursts. I'll be okay with losing some of the scent if it happens to burn off some of whatever is causing the dissipation. Once the soap rehardens, I'll make a test lather and see if it sticks around for longer than before.

It's experiences like what you describe that feed the "melt-n-pour" soaps are inferior narrative. I've never used Mamma Bears but I hear mostly positive things about their soap, particularly the shave stick version.

I get good results from Col Conk, Mama Bear, VDH, and other M&P soaps..... but not from Yeti soaps, not sure why.

I get good results from Col Conk, Mama Bear, VDH, and other M&P soaps..... but not from Yeti soaps, not sure why.
I have not any of those but I understand the new Col Conk is winning the hearts and minds of todays shavers. Regardless of performance the M&P type soaps offer the BEST scent variety and strengths. @NurseDave I'll bet if you found a coffee scented M&P soap it would be the most true scent you will find.

I get good results from the Conks Lime I have as well as Kell’s Original glycerin base hemp oil soap. Only other melt and pour types I have tried are Honeybee and Perfectly Natural

Nuking the soap did not have any impact on its lather longevity; at least I now know to stop worrying about it and just spend an extra 10-secs or so to reload a little for the second pass.

This soap is the first I have encountered in years that I would actually not rebuy. Heck, I even have extra pucks of modern Williams (sorry, KJ :ROFLMAO:) and have a (literally) stinky puck of Pitralon after initially using some years ago.

My Google-fu led me to several soap-making forums and websites which may provide insight into why this soap (and perhaps other Shaving Yeti ones) has difficulty with "sustainable" lather while other glyceric/melt'n'pours do not...... too much EO could be the culprit.

Nuking like I did will flash off some of the fragrance, but still leaves the oil behind in the soap base. I suppose I could mix it with something like Arko (which lathers SUPER easy!), but I am a stubborn old goat and will see this soap through to its end...... which now cannot come fast enough. 🤪

Back