The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Declaration Grooming Santal Auster

Quijote

La Mancha's Best Shaver
Legacy
First Responder
The last 2 days, I have been using Declaration Grooming Santal Auster. This soap is their Project Icarus base. Their normal base is one of the best I have used, but this base is a whole nother animal, actually 2 more. They take their normal base and add goat's milk, lamb tallow, colloidal oatmeal, and a couple of other things. They also make this kind firmer than normal DG soaps.

When I first got it, I opened it up and it did smell a little gamey due to the additional fats. However, in subsequent sniffings, I do not really smell it any longer.

Upon lathering, it is a very thirsty soap. But once you get enough water in there, it rewards you with a wonderfully slick surface with lots of protection. Sure, there are other soaps out there that are slick and protective, but where this one really shines is the residual slickness, stability, and face feel. It is the first one I have used that my fingers fail to hold the stretch even with alum on them. I usually take long enough that I have to relather during my second pass. Today, I just did it out of habit.

I can honestly say that this is the best soap I have used.

The Other Don...excellent review. I was just made aware of their Icarus line...another one I will have to try!

Back