The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reprofiling an edge (aka fixing a chip)

My lapping film arrived! I ran a circuit of 60 laps on each 3, 1 and 0.3 micron films, with great pay off. Running it through my standing arm hair I am able to get it to grab hairs and give that glorious "PING". I am quite excited at this point to give this whole thing a go.

To anyone thinking "maybe I should try that" do it. This project has already been quite rewarding.

20210111_181949.jpg

20210111_182937.jpg

My lapping film arrived! I ran a circuit of 60 laps on each 3, 1 and 0.3 micron films, with great pay off. Running it through my standing arm hair I am able to get it to grab hairs and give that glorious "PING". I am quite excited at this point to give this whole thing a go.

To anyone thinking "maybe I should try that" do it. This project has already been quite rewarding.

View attachment 44844

View attachment 44845
Really nice work. Just a little suggestion, when/if you hone this razor again later. If you are actively using the hell i would just keep it as is, but it if you don't, i would do some heel correction to avoid issues later.
By moving the heel a little forward you can avoid honing in geometry problems later.
It is just a suggestion. There is nothing wrong with what you already have done.

1647944421948.png

I would do some heel correction to avoid issues later.
By moving the heel a little forward you can avoid honing in geometry problems later.
Good point, and noted for future use. Though this was my first SR all around, it doesnt get as much use as it should.

Back