The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Replacement scales?

Clemson Tiger

Jr. Shave Member
So, I’ve not been in the realm of straight razors terribly long. Long enough to get a DFS without bleeding, and my stropping technique is no longer nicking the strop. My honing- I think I’m a natural with still a lot to learn but I’m shaving off my yellowlake and that thing has caused me to want an ILR- and become a big believer when it comes to slate.

ANYWAY- I’ve got 2 new straight razors and 7 vintage. All honed by me. I have one razor that needs replacement scales but it’s a 13/16”. I’m only seeing “fits most 5/8” or “fits most 6/8”, but I’m not finding the right size. So where should I search for scales? Nothing fancy- no more than $30-

Also- how crucial are pivot washers? Are they an absolute essential item? Never heard of them until I began fixing this razor up- the razor I replaced the scales on earlier had no pivot washers- so it makes me wonder how neurotic I need to be not having them?

Thanks for your insight!

Hey! Sounds like you’re coming into you’re own with this hobby! I’ll touch on your final question first. Washers are not 100% necessary, most ivory and some bone don’t use them, but it depends on the material. If it’s wood, you’re working with, the pivot might not get tight enough with washerless pinning, necessitating the use of a washer to tighten things up. I have several sets of razors with plastic and rubber scales as well that don’t have washers and they work fine. With straights, I’ve found that you just have to give it a try and if it works, great! If not, start over.

A 6/8 set should fit this particular razor, or you could try crafting your own or if you want it done professionally check out Doc226 restoration, he’s amazing.

Edit: I’ve not really ever seen any commercially available razor scales above the 6/8 size, but you can try on eBay to see if there is a seller that has scales listed. Try contacting them and requesting scales that would fit a 13/16-8/8. Good luck!

Glad to have you on the dark side btw!

Back