The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Repair of the Faucet Monster Bite on Buck Salient

clyde72

Almond Milk Lattes are my POWER
Legacy
If you follow my journal you know that Mr. M paid a visit to me via my Buck Salient. I screwed up and let the Faucet Monster bite it.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

As you can see here the edge was actually rolled some making a lip. I could feel this lip with my thumbnail.

This is a magnified shot

I decided to go to the DMT D8C to remove this. I taped the spine because I didn't want that much wear on the spine. Right or wrong that is what I decided to do.

I was successful in removed the damage from the edge.

I then removed the tape and reset the bevel on my Shapton Pro 1K. Once I had it passing the cherry tomato test with ease I went ahead with the Shapton Pro progression 5K, 8K, and 12K.

The edge looked good to me through the loupe.

I then finished on my Translucent Arkansas. I started this time with a 50-50 mix of Dan honing oil and mineral spirits. Once it was sticking I then went to water only and honed till it stuck.

The edge was tree topping arm hair with ease at this point and was HHT along the edge.
I took it for 25 laps on the Tony Miller Heirloom Old No. 2 linen and then 100 laps on the leather.

Now for the real test, Will it shave?
The resulting edge started out a little rough/harsh feeling at first, but settled down before the 1st pass was done.
I got a nice BBS shave with no nicks, weepers, or irritation.

Great photos. That damage wasn’t too terrible but your repair was stellar. For the benefit of us all, could you snap a close photo of the shave ready edge as well?

Great photos. That damage wasn’t too terrible but your repair was stellar. For the benefit of us all, could you snap a close photo of the shave ready edge as well?
Thanks Chris!

Here is a magnified shot of the finished "Shave Ready" edge.

great job on the repair Craig! thankfully the nick wasn't as large as I initially imagined and minimal steel was need to be removed.

great job on the repair Craig! thankfully the nick wasn't as large as I initially imagined and minimal steel was need to be removed.
Thanks Josh! Yeah it was easier than I 1st thought it was going to be. Initially that nick looked huge to me.

Just an excellent job on the repair Craig, and excellent micrographs as well.

Nice repair Craig. You could have sent it to me, I wouldn't have argued with another test shave from that razor.
1f60b.png

Nice repair Craig. You could have sent it to me, I wouldn't have argued with another test shave from that razor.
1f60b.png

Careful what you wish for there Shawn! Appreciate the offer and the time may come again when I'd take you up on that. But as you can see I've gained some confidence with my honing, well so far as my razors are concerned.

Careful what you wish for there Shawn! Appreciate the offer and the time may come again when I'd take you up on that. But as you can see I've gained some confidence with my honing, well so far as my razors are concerned.

That's good to hear that you are progressing. You know where to find me if you need a hand. I'm happy to help either with some advice or working on a blade for you.

Back