The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Razor weight comparisons

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
This could be in either the SE or DE forums as it's a pretty even split on the number of razors in each category.

Dagwoodz a minute ago
So I was curious how some of my new razors stacked up, weight wise, against each other and the other razors I have in the den. Here's what I found (lightest to heaviest)

Schick Type E Injector: (blade loaded) 33.1g
RazoRock BlackHawk: 35.8g
Aluminum Colonial General: 46.2g
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip: 57.7g
Gillette Super Speed Red Tip: 66.2g
Gillette Aristocrat (48-51'): 68.6g
Gillette Fatboy G-2: 78.2g
Merkur Futur: 124.8g
Timeless Bronze OC: 129.4g
Brass Colonial General: 130.0g

What surprised me is the brass version of the General is almost 3X as heavy as it's aluminum version. I would imagine that makes it a heck of a lot more nimble around the face, and dials back the aggression some just due to the weight reduction. Also, it shows how light the RR Blackhawk actually is, only being ~3g heavier than the Injector. There really wasn't anything that surprised me about the Gillette's...though I didn't think the FB would come in a full ~10g heavier than the Aristocrat. And if there were any doubt about the Futur's credentials as an aggressive, skin peeling razor; on top of the wicked blade gap and exposure when cranked full open, it's almost as heavy as the Timeless and Brass General.

I did a little research as well into the SS versions of the General and the Timeless. The SS version of the General (316L steel) came in at 122g, so ~8g less than the brass version, but about 2.5x as heavy as the aluminum version.

The Timeless SS OC, depending on the handle chosen, can run from 110g all the way up to 133g...so the bronze version is as heavy as the heaviest SS version. Interesting for sure. (the solid bar version with smooth cap comes in at 135g max weight) The titanium OC version of the Timeless comes in at 66.4g (solid bar up to 67.9g). The cool thing is the TI version is completely interchangable with the SS version, but not the Bronze versions.

The bottom line is blade gap, comb type (open/closed/scalloped), and blade exposure are only part of what makes a razor aggressive. In fact, if you look at the old Super Speed razors, the only difference in them, that made them less to more aggressive is weight. The Blue Tip, for lighter beards, was the lightest of the bunch, probably coming in at around 45g or so, while the Flare Tip was at ~55g and the Red Tip the heaviest for heavy beards at ~65g. The head shapes, blade gaps, angles were all the same.

Just something else to take into account when you are looking to buy your next razor, and without knowing how the ergonomics will interact with your face, (blade feel, efficiency, etc...), as a general rule, the heavier the razor, the more aggressive it is.

Excellent Analysis Josh! I'm with you...I guess I didn't think that the RR Black Hawk would be so light!

Excellent Analysis Josh! I'm with you...I guess I didn't think that the RR Black Hawk would be so light!

I think the Hawk would be a great razor if it did have a bit more heft to it. They did product a SS version of it and I'm kicking myself now in retrospect for not jumping at it. I would imagine that it is a good shaver...better if they would make an OC version of it.

When I first got serious with DE razors, I preferred heavier razors because as I was learning my technique, it helped to have the razor itself do a lot of the work. I accumulated a bunch of stainless and brass handles over time, which I eventually replaced with turned wood handles as I really didn't need the extra weight anymore. I have since discovered bakelite razors (especially slants) and really enjoying those now because it is completely your skills and the razor that gives you a shave.

Yes, I am not a big fan of aggressiveness. Must be my Buddha nature, but if I do a first pass with a razor and have to stop to see if it's just clearing lather or if it is really cutting whiskers and find a smooth face, that is a good shave.

As I posted in your journal Josh. I had originally posted this in Chad's journal in that other place.

Ok Chad, the numbers are in.

The version 1 ATT SE2 head (top cap plus base plate) weighs 50.6g
The version 2 ATT SE2 head weighs 50.0g (deeper cuts for teeth)
The ATT Kronos handle weighs 71.2g
The ATT Colossus handle weighs 85.6g.
All weights are + 0.1g

V.1 SE2 with Kronos handle total 121.8g
V.2 SE2 with Kronos handle total 121.2g
V.1 SE2 with Colossus handle total 136.2g
V.2 SE2 with Colossus handle total 135.6g

So even the RX is a liteweight by about 9g with the Kronos handle. The Colossus handle, forget about it.

Back