The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Razor ID help needed

I'll check with my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Looks like @Dave in KY set you up there. That video is darn good with detailed instructions. Guy seems to go through the whole razor.

Instructions or not, you're in good shape now. [emoji106]

Nice set. They are good shavers if you can get a good edge on the blade. You might also be able to get a Gem blade to set in. Some of them the Gem blade will just reach across the blade stops. Some of them are just a little too wide but I have used a C-clap (putting tape to protect the finish of the razor) and gently squeeze the blade stops a little closer.

This will be a good excuse to learn honing, and that'll probably lead to... another huge rabbit hole!

So are new blades still available for it?

No, you can't just go buy new blades but you can maintain the ones you have indefinitely...with the right tools.

....and OMG that is a lovely item. You have a very nice friend. As far as shave gear goes that is a grail item for many, especially in as good a shape as it is. It is worth some $$ but that's not really the point because we all know you can be given something like that for the price of a pizza and beer, find it at a vintage store for $5 or scour eBay and pay any amount you are willing. So When I say it's "worth" a lot I mean it is hard to find and harder to find in good condition that you can enjoy using...because when you have that thing (those blades) ready to go you will love the shaves. They shave like a straight razor because the blade is essentially a straight razor blade with a handle.

About the razor and blades: you will see others like it, under a different name or same name but they don't ALL have 7 day sets and they don't all use the exact same blade. Your blades are a little smaller than the others because they slip inside a holder that is then mounted in the razor (am i right? thats what the picture tells me). You would leave them in the holder to strop but would take them out to hone (you would use a different tool to hold the blade for honing, it look like you don't have that BUT it could be inside the handle or under the felt). The strop works a lot like an autostrop, it feeds through the razor..it makes sense once you play with it. Nothing about that razor should be hard to manipulate or turn so if its hard to turn or manipulate you are doing it wrong STOP.

I have several different ones, none with instructions though. I'll dig out the tool(s) that hold the blade for honing so you can see what i mean. Once you see that you can restore a funky blade you can go in search of more blades on ebay. in the mean time get that strop out and work on getting it flat and conditioned.

No, you can't just go buy new blades but you can maintain the ones you have indefinitely...with the right tools.

....and OMG that is a lovely item. You have a very nice friend. As far as shave gear goes that is a grail item for many, especially in as good a shape as it is. It is worth some $$ but that's not really the point because we all know you can be given something like that for the price of a pizza and beer, find it at a vintage store for $5 or scour eBay and pay any amount you are willing. So When I say it's "worth" a lot I mean it is hard to find and harder to find in good condition that you can enjoy using...because when you have that thing (those blades) ready to go you will love the shaves. They shave like a straight razor because the blade is essentially a straight razor blade with a handle.

About the razor and blades: you will see others like it, under a different name or same name but they don't ALL have 7 day sets and they don't all use the exact same blade. Your blades are a little smaller than the others because they slip inside a holder that is then mounted in the razor (am i right? thats what the picture tells me). You would leave them in the holder to strop but would take them out to hone (you would use a different tool to hold the blade for honing, it look like you don't have that BUT it could be inside the handle or under the felt). The strop works a lot like an autostrop, it feeds through the razor..it makes sense once you play with it. Nothing about that razor should be hard to manipulate or turn so if its hard to turn or manipulate you are doing it wrong STOP.

I have several different ones, none with instructions though. I'll dig out the tool(s) that hold the blade for honing so you can see what i mean. Once you see that you can restore a funky blade you can go in search of more blades on ebay. in the mean time get that strop out and work on getting it flat and conditioned.
I'm very excited to get it! He's shipping it to me tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any delays. I'll need to research the conditioning of the strop. And the honing requirements.

Back