The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quijote shaving video, take 1

Quijote

La Mancha's Best Shaver
Legacy
First Responder
Here is my first attempt at a shaving video. It has to be silent because I don't want to wake up anyone in the house. It is also completely unedited. I am also directly out of the shower, so hair is not done. I am still pretty inexperienced with a straight, so any suggestions are appreciated.

https://youtu.be/5brLUXb_Fyk

Great job Don! Could fooled me that you haven’t done this for a long time. Very nice, smooth looking strokes, looked pretty confident!

There were quite a few mean mugs at the camera, but it was a good chuckle.

I think you could talk a little about your gear at the beginning, but other than that, nicely done!

Gentlemen, the man shaved in a dress shirt, the challenge has been declared! I expect to see a tuxedo shave next!

Great first video Don!!

Good technique, slow and deliberate. Speed will come, but is not necessary at all!

Good Video and Great Technique, just be careful when you re-position your blade that you are not too close to the face

Great job Don! Could fooled me that you haven’t done this for a long time. Very nice, smooth looking strokes, looked pretty confident!

There were quite a few mean mugs at the camera, but it was a good chuckle.

I think you could talk a little about your gear at the beginning, but other than that, nicely done!

Gentlemen, the man shaved in a dress shirt, the challenge has been declared! I expect to see a tuxedo shave next!

Thank you. The mean looks were not intentional, that is my no coffee yet face. I may try a little talking in subsequent ones.
Great first video Don!!

Good technique, slow and deliberate. Speed will come, but is not necessary at all!
Thank you. I am not in a rush to start going quick. I am just trying to get the hang of it.
Good Video and Great Technique, just be careful when you re-position your blade that you are not too close to the face
Approval of technique from the Grand Poobah of straight razors? I am honored. The repositioning has bit me before. I have learned to keep it just far enough away.

Are we sure that was not just a very expensive Pajama Top???????

Perhaps...maybe the velvety type...
1f602.png

He is quite Debonair you know

I think you did very well. I noticed during your first pass you had a VERY steep angle while shaving your lower next, particularly on your right side. If you are experiencing any irritation in those areas, the angle could be the culprit. Your technique definitely illustrates some ways to achieve success, I hope those who are struggling take a moment to watch how you tackle the job.

I totally understand your need to do the silent video, I’m sure more than one of us shave whilst our significant other is still sleeping. Your style of movement left me thinking you were a magician, your long fingers and “presentation” of various items really sold it.

The dress shirt may have sparked a new trend....Pink robes, tartan print shave kilts and tuxedo t-shirts might be the new rage.

Excelent Job Don!

Great first video Don. Only thing I could say is second Chris's comment about the angle on your neck. Other than that, Great job!

I think you did very well. I noticed during your first pass you had a VERY steep angle while shaving your lower next, particularly on your right side. If you are experiencing any irritation in those areas, the angle could be the culprit. Your technique definitely illustrates some ways to achieve success, I hope those who are struggling take a moment to watch how you tackle the job.

I totally understand your need to do the silent video, I’m sure more than one of us shave whilst our significant other is still sleeping. Your style of movement left me thinking you were a magician, your long fingers and “presentation” of various items really sold it.

The dress shirt may have sparked a new trend....Pink robes, tartan print shave kilts and tuxedo t-shirts might be the new rage.

Excelent Job Don!
Great first video Don. Only thing I could say is second Chris's comment about the angle on your neck. Other than that, Great job!

Thanks guys. I didn't even realize that I have been using such a steep angle.

I do make whiskers disappear.

You got me thinking, maybe I need a shaving (smoking) jacket.

Way to step up Don! That first pass was really efficient. Three strokes in and half your face was done!

I say just as impressive as the dress shirt, is that it didn’t look like it go wet at all.

The Other Don...you made that look easy!
Thanks Don 1.
Way to step up Don! That first pass was really efficient. Three strokes in and half your face was done!

I say just as impressive as the dress shirt, is that it didn’t look like it go wet at all.
I can't take all the credit for the dry shirt. Most soaps to get this slick, I have to hydrate so much that they like to run a bit and I end up dropping some. This Icaris base stays where you put it.

Great shave and video Don!

The looks, magician like moves, the shirt, are you related to David Copperfield?
1f606.png

Nice video and shave.

I must be in a minority here, but I find silent shaving videos to be a bit creepy. And coming form me, that's saying a lot.

Hey, Don - I just stumbled in to the video section for the first time today....

Great shave! It was really fun to watch you! I am a southpaw, and it turns out we approach our first 2 passes essentially the same way - so it was like looking in a mirror watching you (except for the fact that I was wearing a dress shirt and using smoother, more efficient strokes than I usually do.... ?)

Thanks for sharing!

Great shave and video Don!

The looks, magician like moves, the shirt, are you related to David Copperfield?
1f606.png
As a kid, I asked my dad that exact thing after watching some of his specials. My dad said no.
Nice video and shave.

I must be in a minority here, but I find silent shaving videos to be a bit creepy. And coming form me, that's saying a lot.
Next time, I will put a fake spider in the background to make you more comfortable.
Hey, Don - I just stumbled in to the video section for the first time today....

Great shave! It was really fun to watch you! I am a southpaw, and it turns out we approach our first 2 passes essentially the same way - so it was like looking in a mirror watching you (except for the fact that I was wearing a dress shirt and using smoother, more efficient strokes than I usually do....
1f609.png
)

Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure. I am sure you do better than you are letting on.

Back