The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Question

John Paul

Jr. Shave Member
I started what Shaving 20 years ago with the Merkur 34C. I have a very thick fast-growing Mediterranean beard and Charles at QED Recommended the Merkur progress which I’ve been using now for about 15 years daily. I just wondered what you guys would recommend? A guy on badgerandblade recommended the Mercury slant, But I didn’t care for it. I tried my old 34C yesterday and it just doesn’t cut it the way the progress does on setting number three.

I started what Shaving 20 years ago with the Merkur 34C. I have a very thick fast-growing Mediterranean beard and Charles at QED Recommended the Merkur progress which I’ve been using now for about 15 years daily. I just wondered what you guys would recommend? A guy on badgerandblade recommended the Mercury slant, But I didn’t care for it. I tried my old 34C yesterday and it just doesn’t cut it the way the progress does on setting number three.
Welcome. I have all the Merkur razors you mentioned. I've been using the 34C about once a week for a long time but I use the slant and the Progress sometimes too. I like all three. You can change the setting on the Progress so just as a short answer I would suggest that one. There's another thing to consider. Do you always use the same kind of blade? I've found, and others also, that different blades pair better or worse with different razors. You could consider purchasing a blade sampler pack to experiment with. Also, my skin and whiskers have changed over the years. Some razors and blades I used to enjoy no longer give me the same experience.
Thanks for your post.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love my Progress. It shaves very well. Maybe as @wombadom suggested...trying out different blades may make a big difference. I would go that route before jumping in the costly endeavor of purchasing razors that you may or may not like. Try Feather or Kai blades as they are very sharp. They may work wonders with Progress.

Ikon Razors has a nice slant razor that is efficient yet very smooth - that might be up your alley as well, at an affordable price point.

Maybe you should try a straight razor. Or feather shavette. The comment on the feather blade will cut better but I bet you would only get 3 shaves from it. They are sharp. Just don't last long. I have gray whiskers that are like wire. I use a straight to really get a close shave.

I’ve always used the feather Blades, They really cut down my beard well. I just thought that with all the new razors being introduced (Wolfman, IKON, abovethetie, all stainless,etc) Someone could recommend something new..I did try a merkur futur, but didn’t like it at all.. I think the progress is the best adjustable..anyway,Thanks for the input I enjoy reading your posts..

When i found my 34C and Feather blades to be rather limiting in that i'd have to do more passes i bought a Muhle R41 and that gets the job done. i shave my face with some kind of straight razor, just because i like it, however i shave my head once a week with the Muhle and it's done in one pass.
Requires a rather gentle touch!

T

Yes I heard that’s a very good razor for heavy beards..Is the Muhle quality on par with Merkur? Their brushes don’t seem all that spectacular. I currently own a Shavemac and two Heinrich Thaters, which I love and consider heirloom quality

Welcome to The Cadre @John Paul !! The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly conversation. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Head over to the Newbie and Welcome area and post a thread to introduce yourself.

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or any other help, please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.
@Spider , @NurseDave, @heysi , @Fenster , @Scuttlesoap

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Again Welcome and have a great time.

I don't normally use aggressive razor so I cant be of too much help but I do enjoy a couple of the RazoRocks products. They have some very nice, economical Stainless steel razors. The Lupo 95, Wunderbar slant, Lupo DC, Hawk A, and Game Changer 84 Jaws are some of their more aggressive offerings. Good luck on your search.

Back