The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Question/opinions

John Paul

Jr. Shave Member
After using the Merkur 34C for many years, I switched to the 38C.What do you guys think of the open comb Merkurs? I’m Italian, and have pretty heavy beard growth, but never liked the adjustable I tried..I thought this might be a good option for someone that needs a close shave every day

Blackland Blackbird Ti or if you prefer an open comb go for the Tradere jmho

You like using open combs? I love the video you made of how to get the best lather from Mitchellswoolfatsoap , i’ve watched it a few times now, and the fat is my number one choice these days. I noticed you use an open comb in that video..

How often do you plan shaving? If you’re gonna shave daily or maybe even every other day, it’s unlikely an open comb would be necessary, just something with a decent blade gap and and good, sharp blade.

You like using open combs? I love the video you made of how to get the best lather from Mitchellswoolfatsoap , i’ve watched it a few times now, and the fat is my number one choice these days. I noticed you use an open comb in that video..
I do, the best shaves from a DE normally come from the Tradere OC, the Gillette New OC Long Comb, or the Gillette Aristocrat. However the Crat can be a face peeler, like most of them. that being said as @GearNoir pointed out a good SC with good blade gap can be fine. As an example the closest shave I get from a DE is the Blackland Blackbird Ti. To me the most aggressive DE on the Market, so it took a large number of shaves to convince me to keep.

It is by experimentation, that you will find what is best for you. My reccommendation is to find a used Gillette Long Comb OC, and A Short Comb LC, they can be purchased relatively inexpensive and try

Good Luck

Back