The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

*PSA* TSA RULES

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
Okay someone on another forum said they flew out of JFK yesterday and they had their Merkur Progress in their carry-on bag WITHOUT blades and it was confiscated !! They were told that new rules have been implemented due to some yahoo a couple of weeks ago trying to hold someone hostage or something with a safety razor so now it doesnt matter if it has a blade or not they are NOT allowing it in carry-on... I just wanted you Guys And Gals to know !!!!!! Please Check before you go on a flight because I don't want you losing a cherished razor !!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if it is just at JFK or if it is ALL SO PLEASE CHECK !!!!

The TSA Rules still state you can bring a safety razor in carry-on as long as it doesn’t have a blade in it. Maybe this was an overzealous security check or in reaction to either that event or another warning/intelligence…..For travelers that are concerned - they should call their local airport to confirm if there are different local policies - but from a TSA perspective - the policy hasn’t changed.

Yeah. I saw a couple of news stories a week or so back about bad actors on plains using things like "straight razors" and I think one of the used a safety razor like implement. In response to the straight razor event the TSA spokesman said something like "these things happen, we can't catch them all". I sat there thinking to myself 2 or 3 similar events in one week, just how many times do "these things happen" such the 2-3 slip through in one week?

I just thought that since the guy said he had just flew yesterday that maybe they had just implemented it since yesterday because he said that the bin that they threw it in was full of safety razors

Notice the thing where it says allowed without blade and they have a red x at carry on.

It is simple Jimmy. The “x” is if it had a blade in it, the parenthesis note that the exception is without the blade. This was also verified by a client who was in charge of the TSA before he retired a year ago

I love how the webpage says "for items not listed here SIMPLY snap a picture and send it to...." like someone will actually provide feedback in a timely manner and you will be better informed before you pack for your flight. Then they make a check list that can't clearly indicate what is allowed. why not SIMPLY make a line for safety razors WITH blade and a second line for safety razor without blade. Two different lines so it is VERY clear what they are prohibiting from carry on is the blade itself not the razor it goes into. They need to remember, everyone from around the WORLD is going to use the website as a guide so they need to make it as simple to use and understand as possible. Often the webpages are translated into multiple languages using auto-translators so the more simple and clear the original message is the more clear the translations will be.

Ok. I'm glad . I was just letting you and everyone know what happened to someone Yesterday and what he said they told him at JFK. I'm glad that they were wrong.. I just thought it was better to let you guys know what happened to him at JFK yesterday.... As always I was just trying to be helpful....

As stated earlier, they weren’t wrong. The ultimate decision lies with the TSA officer at the location even though the rule says they can bring it on a carry-on. The officer on site can still confiscate it, as mentioned above.

I travel with a 2 bladed cart for this reason. You never know when a TSA agent is going to change the rules on the fly. Crazy that they actually updated it.

I forgot my DE in my bag one time. They inspected my bag, took the razor out, had me remove the blade, and sent me on my way with it.

I travel with a 2 bladed cart for this reason. You never know when a TSA agent is going to change the rules on the fly. Crazy that they actually updated it.

I forgot my DE in my bag one time. They inspected my bag, took the razor out, had me remove the blade, and sent me on my way with it.
THAT is what I would hope every agent would do. It renders the razor "safe" for travel and educates/reminds you to do the right thing. I hate to make blanket statements about TSA but I am sure there are agents who bring a higher caliber performance to the job and those who are ultimately the butt of jokes told on late night shows and dark theaters with 2 drink minimums.

Back