The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Plating question....

heysi

“I like Glitter Covered Tortilla Chips”
Concierge
This is going to sound dumb.....

But would you replate a silver plated razor in nickel?

My '07 single ring doesn't get a lot of love because its unplated on the head and the rest of the razor has the typical patina you see with a silver plated razor. I want to use it more but don't want to have to polish it all the time.

Has anyone else replated a silver plated razor? And what was your experience?

If you think you'll enjoy it more if it's nickel-plated, I say go with nickel. I had an originally gold MMOC replated in nickel because I knew it would last longer than gold. I'm currently having my originally nickel Fatboy replated in Rhodium because I think it will look amazing. I had my Slim gunkoted in ASU colors because ASU is awesome. Do what makes you happy and don't second-guess the decision once you've made it.

Found a solution to the silver patina issue. Turns out I work at a company that makes electrical connectors. And we make electrical contacts, which are often silver plated. To keep whole boxes of silver plated contacts from turning a dark brown patina color, we put a paper in with them to prevent the patina from occuring. So after gathering a few items.....I now have a nice, polished, shiny, silver plated 1907 single ring. And I can use it without fear of the patina.

IMG_20230312_110715239.jpg

Back