The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Osage rub

Mike Shults

Jr. Shave Member
Hey all,
Seen Matt here on a shave video using Osage rub. Just curious is it an aftershave? What does it smell like? I have heard of guy's mixing it with skin bracer (which i really like) 50/50.

Off Subject who uses Trumpers skin food?
Man you all may laugh but i use it backwards. Meaning splash with warm water, then alum (let the alum dry) then take a steam towel and hold it on for 45 seconds and then ice cold water splash or ice towel, then rub alum again then just a little witch hazel on damp face then Trumper, i allow trumpers to absorb for 5-7 minutes while i am cleaning up around the sink and etc then add AS alcohol splash. Trumpers or any moisturizer goes in/absorbs better imo on slightly damp skin. Idk but i may be cancelling out the moisture from the Trumpers using a alcohol splash on top?? I feel like if i let it absorb then i still may get the benefits from the Trumpers, trumpers alone can be sticky (applied to a dry face) if its not applied to damp face. Anyways i see professional barbers on YouTube use a balm first then splash. Maybe our good barber Dave will chime in .

Seen Matt here on a shave video using Osage rub. Just curious is it an aftershave? What does it smell like? I have heard of guy's mixing it with skin bracer (which i really like) 50/50.
It smells fairly medicinal, even more so than Proraso Green. Huge menthol hit with some moderate lingering powderyness.

It is a great AS to mix with others for the cooling effect. Skin Bracer would probably be great! It just has to be something (unless you like the medicinal smell) that won’t be overpowered by Osage’s scent in the long run.

Osage rub does have a smell that would go well with original skin bracer. I think the more appealing feature is that it has a heavy menthol hit (without being an overtly "menthol" like scent), this makes it nice as a body and hair tonic when the temps are as high as they have been. It is easy to find in most barber or hair salon supply places (Like Sally's) but is also available through Amazon. It has been a while since I bought some but if I recall it is somewhere around $10/bottle, similar to Jeris Tonic (another worth while purchase).

I don't use Trumpers Skin Food but I have heard of it. Your post shave routine is a little different but if it makes you happy and seems to work then I wouldn't change it. As far as using an alcohol based splash after using the skin food, I think it may have benefits that you wouldn't get if you used the splash THEN the skin food. Aside from giving you a nice fresh feeling, the alcohol splash may work to emulsify the oils that are still sitting on your skin maybe helping them to penetrate a bit further.

It's a mentholated Head and Face rub. It's ingredients are simple.... Water, Alcohol, Menthol, Eucalyptus Oil, Fragrance, and colors. So yes, basically an aftershave. Whatever the fragrance component is, it's very light because all that you really smell is the medicinal smell of the eucalyptus, but even that is mellow. And the scent dissipates quickly, much quicker than the menthol, which is strong and lasts a long time.

It does pair well with Skin Bracer. That 50/50 mix has been called Green Freeze and is one of my favorite aftershave mixes.

Osage Rub is so much more than just an aftershave though. I keep it in a spray bottle and keep some in my work bag and in my golf bag. When it's really hot and humid, a few sprays on my chest and back will make me feel much cooler and more comfortable. I've even had a few people at work buy some after letting them try it.

i like regular Osage rub after a shave here sometimes in the heat of Texas, but i also have an adulterated bottle that i saturated with menthol crystals after watching a DE shaver called Sinatra Lennon on YouTube do it - and that stuff feels icy cold. Pretty sure he called it Osage Hammer, but you don't want it anywhere near your eyes when you splash that on!
The Trumper skin foods i have are the coral - which is a pure rose smell and i find it rather sticky when applied, and a sandalwood that is wonderful with a fabulous scent and i sometimes sleep wearing that. The pity is whilst they have a sandalwood cologne, there is no EdT and whilst the cologne smells great and is one of my favorites, it just doesn't last all day as i'd like.

T

I don’t think I can add much more to the discussion that hasn’t already been said. Your post shave routine does sound different, but it has solid reasoning and makes sense. I love Osage rub for the menthol hit especially like others have mentioned on hot days and when rubbed into my scalp. Definitely try mixing it with skin bracer, you won’t be disappointed.

Hey all,

Off Subject who uses Trumpers skin food?
Man you all may laugh but i use it backwards. Meaning splash with warm water, then alum (let the alum dry) then take a steam towel and hold it on for 45 seconds and then ice cold water splash or ice towel, then rub alum again then just a little witch hazel on damp face then Trumper, i allow trumpers to absorb for 5-7 minutes while i am cleaning up around the sink and etc then add AS alcohol splash. Trumpers or any moisturizer goes in/absorbs better imo on slightly damp skin. Idk but i may be cancelling out the moisture from the Trumpers using a alcohol splash on top?? I feel like if i let it absorb then i still may get the benefits from the Trumpers, trumpers alone can be sticky (applied to a dry face) if its not applied to damp face. Anyways i see professional barbers on YouTube use a balm first then splash. Maybe our good barber Dave will chime in .
After a Client Shave I use CBL Hombres Barbershop aftershave Tonic, It has the best of both worlds as a balm and aftershave. I will usually follow it with a splash of some sort and an ice cold towel. I used Osage in the shop along with Jeris as a scalp treatment when it is hot out

Back