The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ordering in during Pandemic

We have a thing going on in our area started by the photographer that my wedding photos. I think she is calling it the Front Door Campaign. Anyway, a bunch of professional photographers are going from neighborhood to neighborhood (there is a schedule of when they will be in what neighborhood and then you get on a list) and taking a professional quality photograph of the family in front of their...well...front door. The only thing you have to do is show proof that you have supported a local restaurant, ie, show a receipt of a local restaurant purchase or show proof of the purchase of a gift card. They just ask that the amount is $25 or more, which isn't usually an issue. I just thought that it was a really nice movement. Evidently it's in a lot of areas...so check around and maybe there is someone in your area that is doing it.

One more thing...if you want to support a local business of any sort, but don't want to risk exposure. Then think of getting a gift card. It's money that gets to them immediately and you can benefit later.

Locally we have a guy that owns a coffee shop that's doing at your door delivery of beans and another that had the restaurant they work at closed down and is offering knife sharpening services. Good ideas.

We have ordered in once since the quarantine started. There is a fantastic Vietnamese place with very reasonable places we love down the road. Our little one wouldn’t stop asking for Pho so we got it for her. Re-boiled the broth and dropped the noodles in for her with it near boiling and I am confident it was safe.

We’ve done pizza, Thai, fancy steak place in town, and even applebees to help support the local economy. Being in healthcare, I feel like unless they have purposely contaminated my food or serenaded it up close for prolonged time, I should be alright .... I have been working 5 days a week in a health care facility through all this and have been OK, as well as the wife..... the kids are great too 👍

on average once a week. I prefer to pick up and cut out the middle man. Restaurants are pretty good about distancing and masks, some of the clientele waiting for their orders less so.
Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, pizza, American, Japanese - with the last Korean meal edging out the others by a nose. Excellent bibimbap

We’ve done pizza, Thai, fancy steak place in town, and even applebees to help support the local economy. Being in healthcare, I feel like unless they have purposely contaminated my food or serenaded it up close for prolonged time, I should be alright .... I have been working 5 days a week in a health care facility through all this and have been OK, as well as the wife..... the kids are great too 👍

Glad all is well.

Restaurants (include all types) are getting destroyed worldwide. As an example I heard out of 360k restaurants in Italy 90k are out of business. Its very hard for a restaurant to come back after it closes. Overhead is very high and profits are low. I won't go to a restaurant now because in the USA 80% of virus deaths are people over 60. I am in that group. I don't mind take out but we mainly eat at home. The last pandemic was around 1917 (Spanish flu) and it killed about 400k people in this country and millions worldwide. Now they say (who are the "they) that the virus does not spread on hard surfaces. Lets all shout out for a vaccine. Stay safe

Back