The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ordering in during Pandemic

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
So I get it restaurants are hit hard right now. All our restaurants can operate as long as it's done curbside or delivery.

Are people doing this? I know quite a few people are here in Utah and alot of locals on Twitter and Facebook are talking about doing it.

To me it seems too risky... These are usually low wage earners (trying not to get political just a fact) and don't have the best sick policies. I figure if anyone is inclined to go to work sick its probably at a restaurant.

What are your thoughts? Are you eating out/in via restaurant delivery or curbside pickup?

We’ve done it a few times with favorite places we’ve been to before. Take out mind you - no one is allowing dine in for the most part; I wouldn’t do that anyway right now.

Can’t be any worse than bringing in manhandled groceries.

And if a restaurant is legit, their food handling practices are light years ahead of any grocery chain (unless you’re in the meat dept or deli - quality chain grocery does very well in these areas) or Amazon.

we have been avoiding it. just sticking to food made at home where we can be absolutely sure its good to go. plus i like cooking so that helps

Grocery stores are another one. We processed and wiped everything down in the garage then brought inside. Also set up an order with Schwans.

As to restaurants yes no done in. But all restaurants can do delivery or curbside. I've been craving a local burger or some wings. Maybe I'll try it but not sure worth the risk

Did a burger and a blackberry milkshake a couple weeks ago in one of my favorite drive throug's.
Noticed that no one was wearing gloves. Looked like business as usual for the 4 of them in there.

After seeing that. I have just stayed at home. Except for when I stopped by a philippine owned mini Mart to buy some propane. The ladies in there make fresh Olympia rolls everyday. They are really good too. Bought 5 of them for a light afternoon snack.

Right now I have a 6lb pork shoulder that I I plan to smoke up tomorrow and a 3lb Chuck roast that I'm going to make Mississippi mud roast out of.

Will post pictures in the watch ya eating thread, after I make them.

Well gloves or no gloves makes little difference. I might actually think no gloves might lead to more frequent hand washing.

Maybe but they were all very young. I remember what it was like in the restaurant business being around co workers. Just made me uneasy even though everything seemed to be ok so far.

But what makes me really nervous is passing money and debit cards to someone that does that all day. I doubt they are getting the time to properly was their hands as frequently as they should with this virus going on.

I’m not about to order takeout from a restaurant that usually does sit down ...not gonna happen. I’ll do drive through fast food because they have always done it that way, the lack of walk in/sit down only makes the drive through that much more focused.

We’ve been getting a lot of take out food lately. Trying to support the local businesses we like to help them stay open.

in the past couple weeks we’ve had Buffalo Wild Wings, Mama Pin’s Thai, Heroes Burgers, Papa John’s Pizza, and Rib Crib.

I’m not about to order takeout from a restaurant that usually does sit down ...not gonna happen.
Takeout isn’t new. Most restaurants do it. We order food to take home all the time, even before all this.

We’ve been getting a lot of take out food lately. Trying to support the local businesses we like to help them stay open.

in the past couple weeks we’ve had Buffalo Wild Wings, Mama Pin’s Thai, Heroes Burgers, Papa John’s Pizza, and Rib Crib.

Takeout isn’t new. Most restaurants do it. We order food to take home all the time, even before all this.
That may be true but I never order takeout from the big restaurants, just not my thing. I know most offer it but to change it up so that’s all they do seems to me like a big change in how they do things and not all locations or servers are prepared or able to handle full scale take out. There are smaller ‘sit down’ restaurants I regularly order take out from that I might continue doing so with because I know they are able to do it. They are smaller, family owned locations anyway, the kind I/you typically have a closer relationship with. I guess it’s a trust thing, easier to trust take out from the family owned Italian, Mexican, Chinese restaurant than IHOP...strange I know.

on a different note. One of our local western dance hall/bar’s is doing something really cool. They are doing the regular take out but also offering an option to order bulk uncooked restaurant food supplies at a small markup. They win because they get the quantity discount on current orders and build/keep their status as a customer that orders a larger quantity, giving them free freezers and equipment. We win because we can buy great food in semi-large quantity. ...ok,large quantity. We plan to place an order next week. It’s local pick up but here’s what they are offering...

The wife and I have done it a couple of times. But we are very particular of who we are getting it from. Only VERY local establishments and ONLY Mom and Pop type restaurants. We want to support these type of eateries during this time. Furthermore, the ones we eat from, describe their safe handling practices on their website or social media pages. In this description we also look for something to the effect that they limit the number of people that handle our order.

For example...there is this place in our town called Randazzo's. It's an Italian type place that makes great sandwiches and pasta dishes as well as other Italian dishes. They posted about how they clean and prepare foods that are ordered. With the exception of a couple of things, all food is cooked and prepared to order. You would think this is a no brainer. But it is not. Also, the owners (husband and wife) are the only ones cooking food and handling orders. They take payments only by phone and when you drive up to get it...you call to let them no you are there and they will place your order in a certain area for you to pick up.

Anyway...ordering out is probably not the best idea right now...but when we do...these are types of things that we look for.

One other thing...during this time...I refuse to eat from any restaurant that has some type of corporate establishment. These companies will have the resources to stay afloat, where as the mom and pops may not. Yeah I know you can argue the total economics of it all and how these companies employee hundreds or thousands of local employees. But it's my choice to help out the really small places that will struggle the most.

We’ve been trying to support local restaurants a couple times a week—either pick up or delivery. I don’t see it as any riskier than going to the grocery store.

Unless you don’t ever go out to eat, I see it as irresponsible to not try to support local restaurants during this time of crisis. The owners of these businesses and their employees do not have the option to “work from home” like many of us. Times are tough for all right now, but I imagine that the service industry is hit particularly hard. I really hope that the local places can weather the storm.

We’ve been trying to support local restaurants a couple times a week—either pick up or delivery. I don’t see it as any riskier than going to the grocery store.

Unless you don’t ever go out to eat, I see it as irresponsible to not try to support local restaurants during this time of crisis. ....
I guess THAT’S the real thing here, if you are one that regularly went out to eat at certain restaurants you better find a way to keep doing so through this period of isolation. Not only are you supporting them when they need it most so they are there when things return to a more normal condition, this period of isolation may be much longer than anticipated. I also think it is very possible there will be some form of longer term residual change as a result of the things that are happening now, more nimble and responsive small restaurants will probably adapt or even shape their community’s future dining habits. Even in the best of times restaurants fail because they needed just a few more regulars to find them each month. As for our family, we are definitely not the ones keeping any restaurants in business, we just don’t eat out that regularly.

...But isn’t some food just meant for take out? Pizza is a no brainer, pizza parlor take out is great stuff. Chinese! Whether it’s that small fast food shop or the little restaurant with 6 seats and killer atmosphere Chinese take out is always good (and face it, you’re going to feel like crap after you eat it anyway so you’ll never know if it’s food poisoning or MSG anyway).

So for dinner we rarely eat out. Mainly because we have two kids. But I did average 2x a week for lunch. Sad thing is the one place I would be willing to go pick up as they are a favorite of mine is locally owned Mexican restaurant. They said they are just shutting down. They are in a position where they own the building and are planning to open back up. It was family run right down to the wait staff. But man I could go for some of their Chile Verde right now.

Who knows I feel like as time goes on it actually gets safer because more and more people take it seriously.

We order take out at least once a week from our locally owned Chinese restaurant. We always do dine in there, until the pandemic hit. But even before they always had a huge amount of take out orders. The little lady who runs the place always greets customers with "Thank you for not cooking!". It's hard to not like a business like that

No way for me, there are just too many hands the food is passing through before getting here for my comfort.

Helena wanted to do a take out to support the local restaurants, but I just had to say no. Not worth two weeks of worry to me.

But then, I don't eat out often anyway, so it's not a major issue.

The restaurant culture here is so different from the US. Basically it's either total crap or really expensive and portions so small that you have to make another meal when you get home anyway. It's been improving over the last few years, thankfully, but nothing compared to California, so I just don't do it often.

Back