The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

OneBlade Core

The Monkey

"I See the Good in Every Shave"
Legacy
This is another razor that I have on loan, the OneBlade Core.
If you are familiar with OneBlade you know that they produced a $400 Stainless steel razor that took feather blades. Not the AC feather blades that everyone loves but the SE gem like blades that get mixed reviews at best. These feather blades are expensive and are only good for 2 or at most 3 shaves. Oneblade then came out with a $50 plastic razor with a similar design. This plastic razor is the Core. (By the way, there is a sale of this razor for $19 going on right now.)
20191020_060447.jpg

The razor is well built and has a nice heft. I was afraid that since this was plastic that it would feel cheap, it does not.

Since I dont have (or want) the feather blades I used a modified unspined (despined?) Gem blade. Loading is easy as all you do is slide the blade into the back of the head until it clicks into place.

The shave is similar to the the metal version. This razor shaves unlike any other SE razor you have used. The head has a spring in a pivot under the head. To shave you place the head flush on the face and apply pressure to engage the pivot. Yes you read this right you apply pressure (I told you this razor was different). Keeping a slight pressure, you take long strokes around the face. Keeping the slight pressure allows the head to pivot keeping a constant angle and contact of the blade. Basically the razor takes care of everything. This makes for a very lazy shave.

I've gotten to the point where I just do 2 passes with any razor. I dont chase a BBS or any other of the alphabet. This really isn't an option with the Core. After 2 passes my face was too rough to just walk away. Even after 3 passes there is still enough that I was tempted to do some more clean up. On the positive side I had no cuts, nicks or irritation. I know this is the second version of this razor. Things were modified because the first razor was too mild. My option is that this is razor is still too mild.

I'll play around with this razor some more but I dont have any urge to buy one. It is just too mild for me. If you like mild razors and dont mind either buying expensive feather blades or modifying Gem blades, then this isn't a bad deal for $19.

Interesting. I wonder if others are having the same problem. Seems odd to come out with a new razor that can't efficiently accomplish a task that razors have been doing for a long time.

Interesting. I wonder if others are having the same problem. Seems odd to come out with a new razor that can't efficiently accomplish a task that razors have been doing for a long time.
I think the main market for these are people who are use to Carts. For someone who has never used a SE or any traditional razor, this razor could have an appeal.

This actually is the third version of the Core. The second version came out almost immediately after the first version was released and this version uses a different material for the head. Since OB does not mark their razors in any way, you can tell only by this head being a dull black instead of a shiny black like the handle. I own the Genesis, the Hybrid (which is supposed to be a Genesis stainless steel head mounted on a Core handle), and the Core. I can also say that the heads are very different (including the two stainless steel heads). I would use the same despined and modified Gem blade in all three razors and One razor will give me a great shave, another would hardly shave, and a third would require multiple passes and a lot of pressure. This Core, I found out, really requires a very precise Gem blade punchout, however it does best with the Feather FHS blade and will last five shaves (more if you strop it between shaves). Yes, even though it cost $19.99, the money could be better spent on a tub of CBL Iron Throne (hold the menthol).

Having to apply pressure sounds something like the Focus razor; it seems unnatural to have to engage the pivot this way.

The OneBlade Core gave me a good shave with the FHS-10 blade. It felt kind of like a shave with a later model GEM, but less efficient. A vintage GEM Heavy Flat-Top (i.e. G-Bar) or Featherweight would be a better value, with or without blades. I still plan to try a modified GEM blade with the OB Core, but I am not sure it will be much of an improvement.

Based on my experience with the OB Core, I can't recommend purchasing any of their product line.

The OneBlade Core gave me a good shave with the FHS-10 blade. It felt kind of like a shave with a later model GEM, but less efficient. A vintage GEM Heavy Flat-Top (i.e. G-Bar) or Featherweight would be a better value, with or without blades. I still plan to try a modified GEM blade with the OB Core, but I am not sure it will be much of an improvement.

Based on my experience with the OB Core, I can't recommend purchasing any of their product line.
I have a Genesis V2 (came across a fantastic deal on a second hand one) and I use it with a Modded Gem. It is more aggressive than the core. It gives a good shave. I'll have to dig it out to refresh my memory. The Core is just too mild for.me.

Today I broke out the Genesis to compare it to the core.
Long story short.... the Genesis is more efficient than the core (which I like). The heads have a very similar feel but the Core is just too mild.
Ok I have a question for you, someone offered me a core just for shipping cost. It would cost me about 5 bucks and includes a pack of blades. After hearing everything said about the razor do you guys think it's a good deal or should I not even get it?

Ok I have a question for you, someone offered me a core just for shipping cost. It would cost me about 5 bucks and includes a pack of blades. After hearing everything said about the razor do you guys think it's a good deal or should I not even get it?
For the cost of shipping I would but in a pack rat.
Do you like mild razors? Some people love their cores. Do you mild using the feather blades? If you want to use Gem blades then I would invest in a nibble to make modifying the blades easy.
20191027_190826.jpg

I purchased two of these razors for Christmas Gifts. Could you say a bit more about the nibble. What it is and where one would obtain one. Thanks,

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff
Here is one on Amazon for $10 (I bought the same thing from ebay for $5)

To modify the gem you first despine it and cut the too corners off the blade just above the notch. I'll dig up a picture in s minute.

Here is one on Amazon for $10 (I bought the same thing from ebay for $5)

To modify the gem you first despine it and cut the too corners off the blade just above the notch. I'll dig up a picture in s minute.
Thanks, John! I have a lot of Pella SS PTFE Gem blades. I'll be curious as to how they shave compared to the feather.

Here are pictures I found online.2016-07-23 23.45.21.jpg

A tip is to squeeze the nibbler slowly. I found if I went quickly the brittle blade would snap off in a bad way ruining the blade.
8XmNoik (1).jpg

Here is the cutout next to a real feather.
zqiZtlx.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, John! I have a lot of Pella SS PTFE Gem blades. I'll be curious as to how they shave compared to the feather.
The gems are a little rough the first few shaves (typical of gem blades) but smooth out nice. They also dont last as long in the OneBlade as in they do in regular SE razors. It must be due to the angle the head is at.

Back