The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

OneBlade Core mod

So a couple of weeks ago when the covid-19 restrictions were just suggestions, there was a thread going on on another shaving forum (which shall remain nameless) where, once again, someone talked of the virtues of the OneBlade and a bunch of folks that had never bought a OB product chimes in on why OB is so bad and why they would never buy one, etc....😴

Anyway, with nothing better to do because I really distanced my self far away socially, I decided to try something that folks never done before (or at least never talked about doing) - I got a Gem blade and tried loading it in my Core. No, not a despined modded Gem blade or a despined unmodded Gem blade, but just a regular spined Gem. Well, that didn't work, but I looked at why it didn't and found that the two notches on the sides that locked the Feather blade in place prevented the Gem blade from going in.

DSC03129.JPG

This is a pic of the Hybrid because the Core did not show the notches too well.

So I then took a used Gem blade and a diamond nail file and cut out the notches so the Gem blade will fit. It would have been easier trying this with the Hybrid or Genesis because the head can be unscrewed and you get an unrestricted access to this area, but I held off because if it didn't work, I would be out either $200 or $400 depending on which I used. With the Core, I would be out just $20. The blade inserted easily , but I had to play around a little to get it to seat evenly.

DSC03146.JPG

When I did a test shave. it ended up even milder than the original Core, which was the mildest shaving of all three OneBlades. Where it would usually take me almost three passes with the Core, the modded Core took almost four. One thing good was that, like all OB razors, I could apply a lot of pressure and buffing and still come out with no irritation or weepers. I next tried using a shim, which was suggested by another member on that other nameless shaving forum. Instead of using electrical tape, I decided to cut apart a magnetic advertising card that came in the mail a couple of day earlier. This shim was supposed to go on the bottom of the blade so it could lift the cutting edge a little higher than the notches behind the guard. The magnetic card meant that I could reuse the shim any time I changed blades.

DSC03144.JPG

This time around, the shave was a lot rougher than before and even a little rougher than the Genesis, however it was a definite two pass near BBS shave.

I have been experimenting with this modified Core for a couple of shave now and in the mean time I acquired another Core. Tomorrow night will be the big grudge match - my modded Core vs the original Core with the FHS blade.

Stay tuned - same bat time, same bat station.....:eek:

Let's get ready to rrrummmmmble! 😲

DSC03150.JPG

Shaving the right side of my face, hailing from Austin Texas, the one, the blade, the Core! 🤠

Shaving the left side of my face, the challenger, hailing from Franenrazor Washington, the OneGem! ☹☹☹

The referees tonight will be the Paladin Disco and direct from France - le Pe're Lucian Abricot 😍😍

Pass 1 WTG - the OneGem comes out fast and smooth really doing quick work mowing down the whiskers on the left side of my face. The blade sits at a good angle and the shave is painless and efficeint. The Core starts off on the right side of my face and oh, the first stroke is a little rough. I remembered that the Core was loaded with an FHS blade which preferred using the pivoting head and more pressure. Making the adjustment mid WTG, the Core keeps up with the OneGem and finishes WTG easily. Judges gives the WTG pass slightly to the OneGem because of it's smoothness and efficiency.

Pass 2 ATG - the OneGem starts out quickly once again, but hits that area on my face where the whiskers swirl in three different directions. Clearing that appears to be a problem and so the pivoting head, more pressure, and buffing is employed. The OneGem eventually clears that area and the rest of the left side of the face is no problem. The Core makes quick work on the right side of the face using all of the OB tricks with the pivoting head and extreme pressure. skin stretching need to be employed on the spot at the edge of my mouth, but it also makes quick work of that area. Judges call the ATG pass a draw!

Pass 3 XTG and touch up - The OneGem with it's slightly closer angle is really clearing up the remaining stubble with no effort at all. That Gem blade being sharper than the FHS blade is able to get closer without activating the pivoting head, and additional pressure is not needed as much. The Core needs to resort to extreme skin stretching and head pivoting along with more pressure and buffing. The judges deliberate long on this one..... Judge Pure Shaving scores it 10-8. Judge Ease to Load scores it 10-6. Judge Close Shave scores it 10-6. The winner and NEW champion - the OneGem!!!!😣🤩🤩🤩😊😊

Okay, so to keep my two interested fans posted on the latest update. I pulled out a Gem Blue Star carbon blade with about 5 shaves on it and loaded it into my OneGem for last night's shave. I have to admit that even though it had a lot of shaves on it, it did perform a lot better than the PTFE blade I been using for the tests. It seems that the carbon steel blades did not flex as much as the stainless steel ones and it did allow for a closer AND more comfortable shave. My other three OneBlades are now on the verge of revolting since the OneGem has gotten all the attention since the middle of the month. I think the Genesis is asking to be traded and the Hybrid is asking to be an unrestricted free agent.

I am getting a Core in a few days. I'll give the FHS blade a shot and if NG will order the Feather carbons and test them. If still NG will sell the Core. I only wish the Core would accept any single edge blades but then how would Oneblade make money.

I only wish the Core would accept any single edge blades but then how would Oneblade make money.
See the original post. Best mod for the Core. Of course once done, it would void your warranty and probably lessen the resale value. ;)

Seriously, it will take a notched or unnotched despined Gem blade, but shave characteristics will not be as good as a Genesis with a mod Gem blade.

See the original post. Best mod for the Core. Of course once done, it would void your warranty and probably lessen the resale value. ;)

Seriously, it will take a notched or unnotched despined Gem blade, but shave characteristics will not be as good as a Genesis with a mod Gem blade.
Thanks for the info. I have decided I am not going to alter any Gem blade. I have practiced removing the spine and cutting the blade. Too much trouble. Like I said if the SS Feathers are OK and give only 3 shaves I will order the Feather carbons. I read someones review and he gets 5 good shaves. However, IMHO always applies.

You are in luck because of the three OB razors, the Core gets the most shaves out of a FHS blade. I have gotten about 6-8 good shaves where with the Genesis and Hybrid, I would be lucky to get 4. Of course, it also shaves the mildest of the three (and yes, the Genesis and Hybrid shaves differently even though they have the same head).

Just remember to throw out all the things you learned in proper shaving such as no pressure, proper head angle, loose grip, etc. Think Cart razor - hammer grip, mash the head into your face, constant buffing. When I first learned the Genesis, I had to think that I was late for something and needed to get my shave done quickly. That gave me the best shaves (but not much fun).

You are in luck because of the three OB razors, the Core gets the most shaves out of a FHS blade. I have gotten about 6-8 good shaves where with the Genesis and Hybrid, I would be lucky to get 4. Of course, it also shaves the mildest of the three (and yes, the Genesis and Hybrid shaves differently even though they have the same head).

Just remember to throw out all the things you learned in proper shaving such as no pressure, proper head angle, loose grip, etc. Think Cart razor - hammer grip, mash the head into your face, constant buffing. When I first learned the Genesis, I had to think that I was late for something and needed to get my shave done quickly. That gave me the best shaves (but not much fun).
In that case why bother to use the Core. I'll just use the blade in hand. Seriously its probably has too much guard and not enough blade exposure. I will know soon enough. My Mom use to say "Don't expect and you won't be disappointed"

Received the Core yesterday via UPS two day shipping. I guess even so with the low price they wanted orders to be delivered before Fathers Day. Did a one pass shave yesterday. And this morning a two pass shave with touch up. So far nice with no issues. I like to see how many shaves I can get with the Feather FHS blade. I am hoping at least four. On another front I ordered the Feather carbon blades from Jason at Try A Blade on Thursday but never received a confirmation email. I sent him a PM yesterday and still have not heard anything. I hope all is well.
Core.JPG

Back