The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

One razor for life

Then you should buy a backup now, while you can still find them. You know.... just in case.
I should - yes!
But just haven't been able to justify it - the ones I've seen for sale have been over twice the original price and are getting more and more scarce.
If something does happen to it that is beyond repair, I will probably end up exploring some other options.

I should - yes!
But just haven't been able to justify it - the ones I've seen for sale have been over twice the original price and are getting more and more scarce.
If something does happen to it that is beyond repair, I will probably end up exploring some other options.
That's how I felt back in the day when Darwin razors were $150...........................in retrospect I wished I'd bought one as they fetch $1000 now...........

That's how I felt back in the day when Darwin razors were $150...........................in retrospect I wished I'd bought one as they fetch $1000 now...........
Yeah, I know..... used to be able to get them cased for $150-$200......

Right now it would be my Parker Variant with Feather blades.

In the event of an apocalyptic / grid down situation I don't think any of us will be worried about shaving. Food, shelter, water, protecting our families will take more time than we have in a day. I'd still swipe some shaving stuff and a pair of good scissors to keep the impending beard under control and have the ability to cleanly shave if needed.

Mine would be my Ever Ready Shovelhead. Great shave every time and those GEM blades last forever.

have not used many razors so ill choose the one that has given me best results.. Rockwell 6C..

i also got impressed with RR Lupo SS so i would love to hear thoughts about it if any TSC member has used it.

Attachments

• IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 5
I'd go with my Ragg Paragon. There is nothing that I don't love about this razor.

h94OjDJl.jpg

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to use a DE for life, it would be my Rockwell 6c.

This would be a very difficult decision to make for me because if I’m needing a razor as a daily shaver then there are 3 or 4 I could try and choose from but if I’m on 2 or 3 days growth then it would be a different group of 3 or 4 razors I’d try to choose from as my one and only.

83CB4E59-30DC-4FCD-8739-37DBDA2BC1F9.jpeg

Many members of the Cadre can't handle using the same soap/AS over multiple days. They get bored and need variety. I am perfectly happy using the same soap and AS for weeks at a time. The place where I get bored and have to change is my hardware. I can't use the same razor, blade, or brush every day. I can't even stay with the same shaving system. I like DEs, SEs, straights, and shavettes. I change between them. I even will still pull out a cartridge razor every so often. I have to change my hardware up. I prefer synthetic brushes, but right now I am on a badger kick. So, if someone were to put a gun to my head to force me to choose one razor (or one brush) for the rest of my life I wouldn't be able to choose. I would get bored if I couldn't change up my hardware.

Some favorites:
Post-War Gillette Tech, no date code
Colonial General
PAA Stainless DOC Ascension
GEM Heavy Flat Top
Gillette Single Ring OLD Type
Genco Old Dutch
Robeson ShurEdge
Genco Easy Aces
Genco Fluid Steel
Dovo Shavette
Karve brass Christopher Bradley
I, J, K, L, M, N Type Injectors
Gillette 1940's style SuperSpeed, no date code
Merkur 34c
Ever Ready Shovelhead

Many members of the Cadre can't handle using the same soap/AS over multiple days. They get bored and need variety. I am perfectly happy using the same soap and AS for weeks at a time. The place where I get bored and have to change is my hardware. I can't use the same razor, blade, or brush every day. I can't even stay with the same shaving system. I like DEs, SEs, straights, and shavettes. I change between them. I even will still pull out a cartridge razor every so often. I have to change my hardware up. I prefer synthetic brushes, but right now I am on a badger kick. So, if someone were to put a gun to my head to force me to choose one razor (or one brush) for the rest of my life I wouldn't be able to choose. I would get bored if I couldn't change up my hardware.

Some favorites:
Post-War Gillette Tech, no date code
Colonial General
PAA Stainless DOC Ascension
GEM Heavy Flat Top
Gillette Single Ring OLD Type
Genco Old Dutch
Robeson ShurEdge
Genco Easy Aces
Genco Fluid Steel
Dovo Shavette
Karve brass Christopher Bradley