The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

One Day While in Pasteur's

To many in the wet shaving world Pasteur's is known as the Mecca of Shaving. Located in the heart of NY City. (actually, there are two locations, Lex & E63rd and E34th off Park Ave). This place is known to be a haven to wet shavers everywhere. I actually credit Pasteurs of the store that advanced my practices away from The Art of Shaving to a higher level of sophistication. It is here I was able to purchase multiple Traderes at retail cost.

Yesterday was the first time I was in Pasteur's in a while... there were many men in there. The experienced shavers were giving recommendations to those looking to get started.

I find the level of shave hardware has diminished, Pasteur's shines now is in the artisanal soap crowd. It is a chance for you to open and actually smell soaps before you get to use it.
While the original one on 63rd still offers vast amounts of soaps and creams plus enormous amounts of blade selections. It is the one on 34th St that now caters to the Crowds that come to NYC just to go here.

I didn't walk away empty handed but did not go nuts. Walking away with a Barrister and Mann Promises
and Ariana & Evans Little Fictions.

I've got Promises soap and splash(I think you'll like it) and I am dieing to go there . Next trip to visit family in PA we are making the trip to NY to go there for sure.(Hour and a half drive from my brothers I think)

Fun stop! It would be cool to have something like that here, though prices would probably be insane.

I've been to Maggards, Q Brothers, and West Coast Shaving...... but have not yet made the pilgrimage to The Mecca. Need to get there eventually.

I've got Promises soap and splash(I think you'll like it) and I am dieing to go there . Next trip to visit family in PA we are making the trip to NY to go there for sure.(Hour and a half drive from my brothers I think)

Dave,as a soap lover this place would be heaven on earth.
Just be prepared. Tight aisles with soaps stacked 10 feet high. And the prices are comprible to better than online. It is old School NY experience.

I've been to Maggards, Q Brothers, and West Coast Shaving...... but have not yet made the pilgrimage to The Mecca. Need to get there eventually.

As I said the quality of the hardware is not what is once was and other than blades I find myself looking online for hardware. Come to think of it, I might seek out Q Brothers while in Chicago this weekend. That shore would be more of a haven to me.

It is exciting to see so many of the new to the scene artisans being carried at PAsteurs. I saw that Longrifle has been invited to put some stock on the Pasteurs shelves. Really cool trip.

It is exciting to see so many of the new to the scene artisans being carried at PAsteurs. I saw that Longrifle has been invited to put some stock on the Pasteurs shelves. Really cool trip.

i saw a small selection of the Long Rifle. Leo was telling me the maker of Wholly Kaw was going to be in there later that day. That is a soap I need to try.

Chris have you approached them yet or is it better for you to sell direct?

\n\ni saw a small selection of the Long Rifle. Leo was telling me the maker of Wholly Kaw was going to be in there later that day. That is a soap I need to try. \n\nChris have you approached them yet or is it better for you to sell direct?
\nFrom a per sale basis I am way better off going direct. But being at Pasteur’s or Maggard’s would increase volume by far so I would be netting less per sale but making a ton more sales. I don’t have a problem being a little guy here in the corner, you’ve got to earn your place on the shelf and I’m not there yet. I think the killer for me is volume, I am limited in the amount I can comfortably produce unless I get the big pots. Not to say I won’t do that but CBL Premium Tallow Soap is still a part time venture.

From a per sale basis I am way better off going direct. But being at Pasteur’s or Maggard’s would increase volume by far so I would be netting less per sale but making a ton more sales. I don’t have a problem being a little guy here in the corner, you’ve got to earn your place on the shelf and I’m not there yet. I think the killer for me is volume, I am limited in the amount I can comfortably produce unless I get the big pots. Not to say I won’t do that but CBL Premium Tallow Soap is still a part time venture.

I don't think you are as far away as you think you are. I have seen pics of other artisans that you might not realize, but are still using the post on the stove and filling tubs at the kitchen table!

\n\nJust be prepared. Tight aisles with soaps stacked 10 feet high.
\nYeah, I\'m not claustrophobic but I was uncomfortable in there. I like New York but I\'m glad I live out west - nice wide store aisles, roads, and parking spots. \nGreat selection and prices at Pasteur, though.

Just found yourself in the neighborhood huh? You lucky dog.

Quick pass into Pastuer’s Today and for some blades and a soap. Bought them out of Sputnik’s and Astra SS’s.

Quick chat with Leo. They are working on a website and in the process of setting up exclusive soaps, brushes and maybe even razors for them. Will try to keep you posted.

Back