The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Oleo soap

For me, decent but not elite. Probably low tier 1ish. Though the sample scent I got was nice...the Melonade.

I hear good things but have not used this soap yet.

I have the Chypre scent that Oleo made for WCS. Performance is good and the scent is pretty strong. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, but if it lacks in anything I think it's post-shave. Not horrible, just not as good as some of the elite offerings. At the end of the day, I enjoy using it.

Probably not helpful at all
1f605.png

I have the Chypre scent that Oleo made for WCS. Performance is good and the scent is pretty strong. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks, but if it lacks in anything I think it's post-shave. Not horrible, just not as good as some of the elite offerings. At the end of the day, I enjoy using it.

Probably not helpful at all
1f605.png
Well, not bad is a good assessment. I know they made some soaps for Ariana & Evans, so I'm interested if their scents knock it out of the park and the performance is decent.

They're one of the few soap makers out there using duck fat as the tallow ingredient, (Oleo calls it their "Canard" base), along with some of the Grooming Dept. soap bases and Bufflehead Soaps. Now, I haven't used either of those soaps, (have a couple GD inbound. Bufflehead might as well be unobtanium it's so small batch), but I have used Oleo's. I would put the performance slightly above Stirling's; caveat that by saying that the reason I would rank it above Stirling is that it is slightly easier to load. All other metrics are very similar. (In my experience of course!)

Vida has quite a few scents out there, so there should be something for just about everyone. She does a lot of cloned scents, (Excursion is based off of YSL La Nuit de L'Homme, Empire is Dior Sauvage, Shiloh is AdP Colonia, for example), but has others that are proprietary to her. Two of the four that I've tried lit my face up (Sandy Cheeks and Melonade), but the other two did not. (Rougere and the Pear-brrr Shoppe soap for WCS)

I point out what has lit me up not to degrade a very good soap base, but just as a buyer beware type of thing. BTW, those two scents that lit me up were AWESOME smelling; and I haven't really read of anyone else getting lit by them.

A lot of people have them up there as one of their top soap bases, but if pressed, I would put them as a tier one box 3. A top scent would take it to a box 2. But I don't think that the performance, at least for me, would ever justify being an elite soap base. More uses and trials might be needed to possible refine judgement.

Thanks for that Josh. Might just get one or two for scent vs a ton of them based on high performance then.

I also had a few Oleo scents burn (Treviso, Frankie & Myrna) but have tried others that did not. In this respects i put them in the same league as TTFFC. Both have some great scents, but can be hit or miss for skin reaction.

As for performance, the Oleo Canard base is MUCH better than their previous vegan formula IMO. It lathered great in hard water, and is a decent soap base. Just one i wouldnt purchase again without samples.

I’ve owned a bunch of the Oleo soaps and AS splashes.

Performance is good, but many of the scents are way too sweet for me.

The 2 I really like are Vetiveral and Don Luis

Back