The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Off-Roading (overland, rock & mud, trail etc)

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
Anybody ready for another rabbit hole? How about a little off-road fun?
Earlier this year we bought my wife a new (2018) Jeep, a vehicle she has had on her bucket list for quite some time (right next to a Porsche 911). Needless to say she has/had no intention of flexing the Jeeps off road muscles...sad face. Well...NOW I have my own Jeep, my daughter has her own, my oldest son decided to get in on the fun and my youngest is outfitting an old Chevy for of road fun. Suddenly I find myself needing certain things and wanting others. Honestly it feels a little like when I dove deeper and deeper into the wet shaving pool. There are things I "have to have" to be safe or prepared for the trails and things I want to do to make the OLD jeep look a little nicer. And just like with wet shaving gear, there are "cheap" solutions that I will ultimately fail to perform and there are trusted solutions that might cost just a little more (or be worth picking up used). The challenge is weeding through the useless (or dangerous) cheap gear to find the most affordable gear that will perform as expected and last.

As I/we work on building out our off-road kits and prioritizing "important" modifications I find myself with as many questions as answers. So, I figured I would start a thread where we can post a few photo's, ask a few questions and share some great advice. Maybe even find even MORE ways for TSC members to connect.

I'll post more about my own rig and chronicle some of my various adventures. and I hope others will too. to help get this thread started I thought I would pose a few big picture questions.

What have your favorite/most used modifications been? What gear do you have AND what do you end up using most often? Any special tips or tricks you would like to share?

I’m gonna enjoy this vicariously, my wife wont appreciate me touching her JGC ltd and my EV, an i3S, cant handle many mods. I have a 96 blazer sitting in the driveway i had plans on getting back to running condition, maybe this will prompt me to get it bouncing.

I drive just a plain old no frills Ford F150 truck. Not a 4x4 or anything off road about it. My wife drives a 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition (the now call it the TRD Off Road). It has all the off road suspension, all the off road gears, it is 4x4, has some other off road features. The problem? It's her daily driver. It's just about paid off and then the search for another vehicle for her will happen. When this occurs, the 4Runner will be mine. And I have plans for it!

I college, we did a lot of offroading in AZ. My Jeep and my roommate's Land Rover. It was awesome. Said to my self a few times, "I can't believe I didn't roll it!"

Not doing much offroading in my Dodge Grand Caravan these days..... Once I'm done hauling kids around, I want to get another Jeep. I sure do miss it.

I college, we did a lot of offroading in AZ. My Jeep and my roommate's Land Rover. It was awesome. Said to my self a few times, "I can't believe I didn't roll it!"

Not doing much offroading in my Dodge Grand Caravan these days..... Once I'm done hauling kids around, I want to get another Jeep. I sure do miss it.
I just sold our caravan, we were in the same boat. With the boys living on their own and the oldest daughter working/going to school we are down to 1 full time passenger child, so 3-4 seats is all that is needed. I have my F150 for family trips and camping but I have listed my old suburban for sale.

My daughters jeep before I installed a new soft top
833D7D1A-2A44-42D3-8BAB-DCF5391C92C4.jpeg

and MY jeep before I swapped out the stock front bumper for one with recovery hooks and a grill guard.
3559CBB4-2BF8-40CD-9B3B-B5819BD7C282.jpeg

My trusty suburban. Not 4wd but it has gotten us into some fun places over the years (usually with a trailer in tow). 1EFFDDBF-9D6B-4692-ADC5-600983E28054.jpeg

A jeep wrangler is on my bucket list. Just not in the cards right now. Although I also am really digging the look of the new ford bronco

This is my rig. Just went from a 5.7 liter to a 6.6 liter.( looking at a blower as well$ Just stock lift and 4x4 with BFG kevlar all terrains. For as much as she weighs she is a pretty good Billy Goat. Cannot get into some areas like when i had my 77 Land Cruiser ( yes i regret selling that one). But surprises even me where the Avalanche can go
Wont be doing much off road for awhile woth my back surgery, but looking forward to doing the “rock hunt” for the boss when i get healed
CEB26BAD-A79A-42BF-96A1-5479D4E424DE.jpeg

Nice rec vehicles gents. I do miss my 92 Wrangler, even more so since it was my first car and, at the time, my dream car. Just couldn’t afford to keep it fixed up though sadly.

This is my rig. Just went from a 5.7 liter to a 6.6 liter.( looking at a blower as well$ Just stock lift and 4x4 with BFG kevlar all terrains. For as much as she weighs she is a pretty good Billy Goat. Cannot get into some areas like when i had my 77 Land Cruiser ( yes i regret selling that one). But surprises even me where the Avalanche can go
Wont be doing much off road for awhile woth my back surgery, but looking forward to doing the “rock hunt” for the boss when i get healed
View attachment 53819
..and it’s pretty much ALL new now that you’ve recently rebuilt the engine and had that rear end accident damage repaired

I college, we did a lot of offroading in AZ. My Jeep and my roommate's Land Rover.

Cannot get into some areas like when i had my 77 Land Cruiser ( yes i regret selling that one).
When I was in Afghanistan...I was entrusted with a Brand New Out of the Box 2004 Diesel Land Rover. I don't know who thought giving me a new Land Rover was a good idea. But I did my darndest to run that thing in the ground. Didn't happen. To this day, if I could get an overseas version of a Land Rover for an affordable price...I would jump on it if I had the funds. Not sure I care what condition it is in. I have pics somewhere...but I have to dig them out.

My wife / we have a Liberty sport that's her daily driver she wants a Rubicon like the one Angelina Jolie drove in Tomb Raider... One thing I have found is that a lot of interior trim and little pieces have 3d print files online so you can print your own without having to order them and if you want you can print them in some fun colors that wouldn't be available OEM...

When I was in Afghanistan...I was entrusted with a Brand New Out of the Box 2004 Diesel Land Rover. I don't know who thought giving me a new Land Rover was a good idea. But I did my darndest to run that thing in the ground. Didn't happen. To this day, if I could get an overseas version of a Land Rover for an affordable price...I would jump on it if I had the funds. Not sure I care what condition it is in. I have pics somewhere...but I have to dig them out.
So true Don , they are billygoats and nothing destroys them whether it be a lion, rhink, flood, rocks. The just keep on going and have the comfort of a C141 jump seat LOL. Would love to
have one

Looks like if you got your hands on a NEW one you would be handing it down to your kids then grandkids before it gave up the ghost.

have the comfort of a C141 jump seat LOL.
C141? Now that there is luxury! 🤪 Definitely had my share of rides on them...but my preferred in flight vehicle would be either the C130 Hercules or the C-5 Galaxy...😛
Looks like if you got your hands on a NEW one you would be handing it down to your kids then grandkids before it gave up the ghost.
So true Chris. It's not a Land Rover, but the wife and I talk about keeping her 4Runner and realistically handing it down to Danger Baby as her first vehicle.

I very much want a project/toy Jeep. More specifically an XJ Cherokee with an AX-15 5 speed. No real space to park such a thing, or I would have one.

Also a HiLux or import Land Cruisers (BJ series, HDJ series, or other Toyota diesel) is a dream.

Back