The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Occam’s Razor. Not what you think....

Remember this? Some do and some don’t. I’ve had the original version of this razor for about a year when I purchased one from the KS campaign the founders ran over a year and a half ago and probably have anywhere from 40-50 shaves on a pair that I have in the plain brushed steel and gold anodized version. I’ll put it bluntly, one of the, if not the most underrated SE razor on the planet and best not talked about shaver in recent history. Why? It looks like a gimmick. The handle resembles a tongue depressor and you need a small Phillips head screw driver to change out the head plates. What? A screw driver to get a decent shave? For real? Yup....

Despite all that, it still is perhaps the best kept little secret in the wet shaving world. Here’s how it works. Get your best AC blade, Phillips screwdriver, install your preferred plate which is identified with either a 1,2 or 3 dot impression on the top right hand corner of the plate. The lower the number, the more mild the plate setting, the milder the shave. The higher you go, the more efficient/aggressive the plates and shaves become. Got it? Good. Tighten down those two screw, one on each side of the head. Slide in that blade from the rear of the head assembly until it clicks into the 2 notches on the head and you’re all set. But wait, what is that semi rattling noise I hear? Dang Nab It! The blade is loose! So you think...... In actuality, it’s a floating blade system that is inherently built into the razors design. So relax, this is where it gets good.

First pass, not to shabby. The blade floated right over my face with no tugging or pulling. And it cleared out a huge swath of hair in one stroke. Hmm? You finish your first pass and feel, not bad at all. Good, now you set up for your second pass and think how did something this angular looking and ugly do this? You start ATG on the second pass and another long, clean swath of clean looking skin without a trace of whiskers left behind. Nice. This razor shouldn’t be doing this as easy and efficient as it’s doing this. You finish your 2nd pass and start feeling all around. Damn near BBS minus a couple spots near the throat and jaw line. Quick lather and some touching up and buffing. Done. That feels real good there. NO nics, cuts, burn or irritation. You raise your eyebrows and think, that’s impressive. How did that happen?

That’s how my journey began with the Occam’s Razor. Wasn’t expecting much and to be honest wasn’t expecting anything good at all. Maybe a half ass decent shave or 2 and relegate it to bench warmer status for eternity. It didn’t happen and it put me on notice that the saying is true. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

Glad I didn’t. I could have missed out on the best kept little secret in the wet shaving universe. It sure is no Prom Queen but, it’ll handle your face like one and leave you wanting for more.....

Nice! Heard of it once or twice, never have seen it otherwise.

Glad you could share!

I am not sure if I’ve heard about that razor before but I know I’ve never seen it. I think it looks rather cool. The screwdriver thing is a put off but having to strop is no different then needing a tool to change blades. Too bad they didn’t design a screwdriver that nests inside the handle...that would be AWSOME, like a psycho key just waiting to be lost.

I don’t understand the floating blade but it seems like a winner.

I’ll have a few pics soon to show how the floating blade actually works. It’s quite simple actually but, ingenious as well.

I tried and disliked the first version. I did order the version 2.0. I like the upgrades they did and I do use it often. The only thing I find is that the floating blade doesn't provide a lasting shave.

Looks interesting. I like the look of the geometry of the head. I watched a video done by the creators, and it looks...... I don't know, awkward? to set up and use. It just looked like they did things with the design (like blade loading, and head swapping), not because it was optimal or a good way of doing it, but because they couldn't figure out a better way to do it. I'd be curious to try it out though.

Curious about the floating head, since conventional wisdom is the stiffer the blade and more ridged it's held, the better the shave.

My apologies Gents for not putting up the pics of the Occam's SE components. Will have them up tonight. A lot of things going on, such is life but, they'll be up....

Here are a couple of pics of the Occam’s Razor. I apologize for the crappy pics and the multiple colors of the razors as I purchased 2 of these. But, for those that wanted to know a bit more about it and how the actual floating blade system looks with the blade installed.....

Here are the 2 nubs that the blade will rest on. This is the top cap and the kit comes with 3 total top caps to customize your shave. Each cap is identified by a dot system. 1 dot being the mildest, 2 dot a bit more efficient and 3 dot being the most aggressive.

I tried to get as close as I could to show how the blade looks installed Locked into the top cap....

Now, in the next pic if you look closely, you will see the blade locked into the top cap nubs and if you look to the far left and right, you will see the bottom plate nubs/studs where the blade locks into also.
In the same pic you will see that the blade is “floating” in between those locking nubs/studs. It’s practically floating/suspended in between the cap and base along it’s whole length. The theory is that the blade is like a semi shock absorber and will actually compress as you move along the contours of your face and neck. And it works very, very well.

These two pics are a bad rendering of how the blade is loaded into the razor. There is an opening in the back where the blade is aligned and is gently pushed in until you hear it click and lock in. Very simple and quite easy. They’ve included a tool with the razor system but, I find that it’s easier just to load by hand...

Again, I apologize for the bad pics and any confusion. But I will say that the Occam’s Razor system works as intended. I have never given myself a nick or cut and the razor is very comfortable and forgiving. I’ve used Feather Super’s in this thing and it tames them like no other razor I’ve used before or since. Well, maybe perhaps the Classic Cobra tames the Super’s just as good but, the Occam’s is no slouch in the getting a BBS shave comfortably department. A solid shaver in my book....

Nice write-up Gus. The blade loading system is ingenious. Very simple, just click it in. I'll have to break mine out tomorrow!

Back